Author Topic: More questions?!  (Read 3313 times)

Just discovered your modding project a week or so ago, been playing it as much as possible! Awesome job, I am enjoying doing the Carver V campaign in a new light. As many of you I am a huge Battletech fan, I play over on the MW:LL crysis mod.

I loved mechcommander severely, and then when MC2 came out I was disappointed by M$'s lack of caring about our beloved universe. I know a few years ago I discovered the Magic files to the mech files etc, I edited the Compas file and figured out there was so much content in the game that was never used.

There is a thread on the MW:LL servers under the battletech universe, which has been asking people about their 'dream' battletech/mechwarrior game. To be honest, I love mechwarrior for sim, but I think a true Battletech Mechcommander style is what I would love to see. Anywho, you guys are doing a great job. I don't have any 3d skills, but I do have allot of time so I'll play the heck out of this and any more content you release.

Due to being relatively new, have you run into limitations with this engine/source code? And have you thought about upgrading to a more advanced engine? What are your dreams for this mod? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Also, have you considered forming a small modding team to design a up-to-date Mechcommander game like the Living Legends team?

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Due to being relatively new, have you run into limitations with this engine/source code?

Quite a loit, this engine is full of hardcoded limits. Magic has broken a few, but the most important is the texture size, the engine seems to be limited to 256 x 256 texture size. We bumped it to this value, which already enhances the look, but it's not what we want in the end, but it's a good start. But further enhancements might need quite some engine changes, and need lot of code works, which is why we are always looking for more coders. So, to answer your next question, if possible, we would like to enhance it even more.

What are your dreams for this mod?

We have a very long project goal list. And we want to enhance the game in look and gameplay, as much as possible and as close to the BT universe as possible :)

Also, have you considered forming a small modding team to design a up-to-date Mechcommander game like the Living Legends team?

Ehhrrm, yes. And it's called Mechcommander Omnitech :) Not sure what you mean with this question, this is the entire idea behind this project ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

I wish I new an ounce of coding, I would volunteer my assistance. If you have other stuff that doesn't including 3d/coding please let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply. You have my full interest, matter of fact I'm gonna go continue to play the campaign!! lol

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
More stuff is coming :)  And thanks for the interest. If the opportunity arrises, you can do the usual mouth-to-mouth propaganda. :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Yeah, I told my EVE online corp buddies, who by the way I have converted into MW:LL fans to download this mod. So I've already started to spread the love!

Still playing through the campaign on 'Elite', makes you think tactically. I was wondering, do you plan on making dropship sizes bigger and include weapons? The one mission where you assault the Davion Dropship caught me eye, I didn't know if you were planning on doing something like that or not. Dropships are something you don't take on lightly, I'm sure you all know that though.

It seems you have toughed up allot of the battlemechs to, very nice by the way. The higher texture poly count is nice.

Is there any level for your mechwarriors after 'Elite" if not I think I found a bug.

Are you using TRO/spreadsheets to set weapon damage?

Last ranking is ace and you need to basically max out each skill so when you start your campaign use jet jump mechs.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I was wondering, do you plan on making dropship sizes bigger and include weapons?

Yes :) Dropship fights were also always my favourite, and therefore I will take special care for that :) In the game are already working dropships (with weapons), but quite small. The new dropshops will be much bigger and later then a ***** to fight :)

Regarding weaponsspecs, currently we haven't done much about balancing. I'm not sure which specs are the base, but we will try to stay close to the canon info, as long as it doesn't hurt gameplay (because in such a case gameplay is more important IMO than following canon info).
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Yes :) Dropship fights were also always my favourite, and therefore I will take special care for that :) In the game are already working dropships (with weapons), but quite small. The new dropshops will be much bigger and later then a ***** to fight :)

This pleases me on so many levels. Dropships, never mind that they weren't armed, were such stupid, wimpy things in Stock. I want Overlords dammit :P

I was wondering, do you plan on making dropship sizes bigger and include weapons?

Regarding weaponsspecs, currently we haven't done much about balancing. I'm not sure which specs are the base, but we will try to stay close to the canon info, as long as it doesn't hurt gameplay (because in such a case gameplay is more important IMO than following canon info).

So the weapon damage's are stock values? Also are you going to implement the LRM20-5's? Ferro armor or Clan armor? I think you mentioned a mechlab of sorts like mw4, I'm not to keen on the M$'s version, but MW2-3 would be a good idea, just my 2 cents though.

Great work so far. I find these missions to be difficult and thought provoking. Are you going to design another campaign? If you need assistance with developing maps etc I could help out possibly. One thing I noticed about some of the Carver maps is the lack of depth to them. Some had buildings scattered here and there but nothing to make you feel like you were in a city or urban town. Please let me know I would be more than happy to assist with that.

A buddy of mine and I were talking while playing, is there plans to have a damage system like MC1? Where you can see external and internal damage? The one in MC2 is vary vague because you don't know if it is going into structure or not until its to late. I'll keep posting as these things pop up!