Author Topic: Major Shivan Assets  (Read 12675 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Major Shivan Assets
The Shivans are very close to attaining completion. That being said, I am announcing that I (and another individual who I will not publicly commit to the project without his nod) will be focusing on bringing all Shivan assets up to par. Meaning that if it is retail, or a very dated HTL, I'm gonna have a whack at it.

Rakshasa should get released next week. Also:

:cool:

EDIT: This will also serve as the Moloch thread.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Re: Major Shivan Assets
THE MOLOCH?

Truly this is an awesome venture. Hope you get it all done! Is there a list somewhere of what's left to do?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I thought we already HAD a hi-poly Moloch.  Go for the Demon... its long overdue.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Each their own turn, Trivial Psychic, do not be too greedy. The Moloch we currently have is a very old HTL and we could use a new one.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Great to see the retail assets becoming HTL, much needed indeed. I wonder if you could move on to custom assets too after this, as there's always the lack of custom HTL Shivan assets. The more the retail assets get upgraded, the more the difference becomes visible.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*Nods*
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Any plans on rebuilding the Ravana? I have a unfinished one, that was meant to build upon the current HTL Ravana, and would be more than happy to donate it :)

Edit: As for the Moloch, I believe all it needs is a UVMap and a decent texture, because the model is very good as it is.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh, do not try and stop us. We -want- to make a new mesh... Also, there's nothing I hate more than remapping someone else's mesh that should have gotten a decent map in the first place. (I'm not talking about tiled, here.. there are blatant flat black spots on the current Moloch...). I would rather make a new mesh than try and figure out someone elses.

And besides, the you could make the same argument about the Ravana.. and yet here you are offering a new Ravana mesh!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yes, if it's getting upgraded, then you might as well go ahead an do everything from scrach.

Good on uoi guys! :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Just finished playing ASW2 and thought "Hmm... the Moloch could use some HTL treatment".
And then this.
That's why I love you guys. :yes:

And I agree that it's better to start from scratch if possible.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Meh, do not try and stop us. We -want- to make a new mesh... Also, there's nothing I hate more than remapping someone else's mesh that should have gotten a decent map in the first place. (I'm not talking about tiled, here.. there are blatant flat black spots on the current Moloch...). I would rather make a new mesh than try and figure out someone elses.

And besides, the you could make the same argument about the Ravana.. and yet here you are offering a new Ravana mesh!

I don't try anything. I just gave my opinion which, by the tone I read above, is not welcome. I'll remember to spare my keyboard in the future...

The Ravana and Moloch aren't comparable, because as they stand, the Moloch is about 6500 polys, for a 730m ship (good for a Corvette). The Ravana is 7000 polys for a 2400m ship.
Which means the Ravana has only +500 polys when it is triple the lenght of the Moloch (not to mention surface area, which is about 4x or 5x the Moloch).
Fly close to a Moloch and your eye will be entertained by variations in shape. If you fly close to the Ravana all you see is huge planes.
Sure, the current Moloch mesh may need some detailing here and there, but nothing major: Even at its current poly count, it feels like something which was built, and thus makes sense visually. The same can't be said for the Ravana.

And I didn't offer a new Ravana mesh. I offered a highly unfinished Ravana mesh.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*sigh*

Yes, because I disagree with your reasoning and said not to try to stop us, clearly what I said was a personal attack against you and every opinion you might ever give.

You are overreacting, and I suggest if you or I have anything more to discuss about this, that it be taken to PMs.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I considered just a new texture for it, but I really don't feel that would bring out up to par. While it may improve the look, I don't feel we would get the mileage out of just a new texture that we want.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Skarab

Out of curiosity, what are the current plans, if any, for the bigger shivan ships like the Demon and Ravana?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
There are plans to do both. The Ravana has not been started. The demon was last seen with  peterv, who had been out of contact for a while. If no one starts either by the time I finish the moloch, I intend to do so.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We were talking about the Demon on the Inferno internal forum last week.  And out of all Shivan capital ships, people seem to ignore it like the plague.

R
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:10:02 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Skarab

The potential for both the Demon and Ravana, as well as the Moloch, is amazing in the hands of someone like Rga based on the previous work he's demonstrated.  I'll be keeping an eye on all of this with great interest.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We were talking about the Demon on the Inferno internal forum last week.  And out of all Shivan capital ships, people seem to ignore it like the plague.

R

Probably because it's nothing more than a giant fat ass...

(sorry, I accidently hit modify your post instead of quote..  :lol: )

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IIRC, Trashman made a HTL Demon. It was a long time ago and knowing Trashman, it's not without issues, but the model was pretty.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
From what I remember of some replies regarding that model it was in .cob which most modelers do not and will not deal with.

Even if that's the case, knowing Rga, the Shivans will be in good hands.