Author Topic: Freespace 1 Free  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Davros

On gametap
they have a habit of rotating the free games so im not sure how long this offer will last

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is that version DRM-free/moddable, though?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Use GOG.com.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Is that version DRM-free/moddable, though?
It'll never be the former, and it's not the latter, at least not right now.  GameTap's original encryption scheme completely changed the whole file layout, so the games encoded under it couldn't use third-party mods.  Fortunately, the new scheme that's currently being implemented to enable 64-bit compatibility for PC games has the added bonus of also being compatible with mod content.  Every new game being added to the service is encoded under this new encryption, and the team's been working on re-encoding one or two back-catalog games every week, starting with the most-played titles on the service.  FS2 has a very high player rating on the site, and I've pimped it once or twice on GameTap's blog, so I'm hoping it gets re-encoded sooner rather than later.  As for how long FS1 will be available for free, I think the free offerings are rotated out every month (I'm a subscriber, so I don't really pay attention to that side of things).

I'd never recommend GameTap to someone who's just looking to play FS2, as there's no point in purchasing an entire subscription service for the sake of a lone game; that's what GOG's wonderful offer is for.  But if/when the game does get re-encoded, I think it could definitely drive some more traffic our way, provided everything SCP-wise works fine with it.  I know I'll definitely hop on the forums and try to talk things up.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
FreeSpace is on GameTap? Huh.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Has been for a couple of years now, minus the short time period when all of Interplay's titles were temporarily removed.