Author Topic: Free Roaming Space Games  (Read 22783 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Free Roaming Space Games
There's also Pioneer Space Sim, but it is still in rather early alpha and is missing quite a bit.  Has procedural systems and planets though.  (be warned, the face generator for spaceport comms can get reeally creepy looking people)

Never heard of that one indeed! I wonder if they took Tom's reverse engineered GLFrontier code (which can be downloaded from his site) and started expanding on it. Might be worth finding out the relation between the Oolite community as well, given the obvious Elite series connections.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
oolite is pretty good at bringing an old game up to modern tech without making it look any less retro.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I seem to be ahead of the curve with you on this one (this time, at least), Nuke. Well, at least with pointing these things out.

Oolite also offers the ability to mod and edit the resources which it uses, which of course means you can implement higher-detail models which actually can be quite well detailed.

...I still want to see the iNovae engine out for modding purposes, however. I can't think of a better engine for Frontier-esque games.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I seem to be ahead of the curve with you on this one (this time, at least), Nuke. Well, at least with pointing these things out.

Oolite also offers the ability to mod and edit the resources which it uses, which of course means you can implement higher-detail models which actually can be quite well detailed.

...I still want to see the iNovae engine out for modding purposes, however. I can't think of a better engine for Frontier-esque games.

i was playing oolite years ago. im sure i posted about it too.
thread did make me go after a newer version though. better equip than last time. but for some reason the game has a hard coded joystick deadzone that is really pissing me off. not only that it has a deadzone but its not implemented correctly. instead of the input ramping up or down from 0 at the edge of the deadzone, it just jumps to what the value would be if it was linear ramped from center. its really annoying, so im downloading the source so i can fix the issue. the devs must be a bunch of gamepad users.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Heh. Post fix/mod, get name in credits.

Go Nuke!

:D

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Heh. Post fix/mod, get name in credits.

Go Nuke!

:D

who the hell sets a deadzone with a #define? guh, and aparently its bigger for osx users.

youd think that by 2010 joystick code would be somewhat standard in its implementation. it doesn't seem to help much that joystick technology is devolving. aparently the entire reason for the setting is so that 360 gamepad users can play the game on osx due to a bug in the hardware drivers. im tired of computer games supporting console controlers over pc controllers. at least its not a commercial game otherwise id be rather pissed off at it.

so much for compiling it, it seems to be setup for cross compiling under linux, but im not about to setup a linux box just to fix a bug in a game that im already starting to get bored with again.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:07:14 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Frontier Elite 2........... My alltime favourite. And it fits on a digital watches CMOS :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Frontier Elite 2........... My alltime favourite. And it fits on a digital watches CMOS :nod:

that game is somewhat tedious to the point where i have given up trying to play it. granted it did a lot tech wise. it had colored lighting and true curved surfaces, years before quake2/3 had accomplished the same, and all without the luxury of hardware rendering. it was the first game that attempted to make newtonian physics playable. damn impressive accomplishment, but none the less harder than **** to play.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Wow, that's a lot of feedback.  I'm going to start going through it all.  Oolite looks promising.  Thanks!
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm...

For the Wing Commander chaps out there, I found this when browsing Sourceforge:

http://privateer.sourceforge.net/news.shtml

*Edit:

In my random searching, I've come across something called Noctis - is anyone familiar with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:16:54 pm by Thaeris »

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline RVR72G

Evochron series (the latest is Evochron Mercenary) is a good choice (but honestly I having a hard time at collecting bucks at first)

Also

X REBIRTH!
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php
Seriously, it looks hawt.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I thought about that, but I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.  Also, I think the X3 demo I tried was Reunion.  Is Terran Conflict significantly better?

If you're seriously willing to consider the brutally unfriendly EVE, you don't actually have to pay a monthly subscription - you can make enough money ingame to buy Pilot License Extensions with ISK, the ingame currency.

This is true, but I'd like to add that it takes at least several months to be able to make enough money to do this, unless you have well-connected friends in the game already. That being said, EVE is about as free-roaming as you can get.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Well, technically speaking, Space Rangers 2 is free roaming... and it is in space... so...

@Twenty: You can always come up with a company that gives loans to people, amass a great fortune, dissolve the company, take all the money, get the best possible ship, and put a bounty on yourself
"No"

wasn't I-War 2 also free-roaming? I've only played it for a couple of hours and that a while back, but I think there was a simulated galaxy and you could fly to different star systems.

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Well, technically speaking, Space Rangers 2 is free roaming... and it is in space... so...

@Twenty: You can always come up with a company that gives loans to people, amass a great fortune, dissolve the company, take all the money, get the best possible ship, and put a bounty on yourself

This is true. You can make a lot of money very fast is you're a good scammer.

EVE: proof that in an atmosphere of total freedom, people exercise it almost entirely to screw each other over.  :D

From everything I've heard, EVE isn't so much a free-roaming space themed MMO with scammers as it is an organized crime simulator with warp drives.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:28:02 pm by phatosealpha »

• Operates at 375 kelvin
From everything I've heard, EVE isn't so much a free-roaming space themed MMO with scammers as it is an organized crime simulator with warp drives.

Well, there's a lot in the game you can do without involving yourself in crime. Personally, I'm a miner, I shoot rocks and make a crapton of money selling ores. But the people who buy the ores from me probably use them in scams and the products made from them get used in scams...and well, crap, you're really not that far off. There's gonna be crime at some point.

Sometimes I have my suspicions that it was originally someone's college sociology project - give a socially maladjusted demographic a sandbox universe and the closest thing to a free-market economy outside a perfect simulation and watch them destroy each other in a supernova of greed and selfishness. Y'know, just like the real world.  :P

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Funny part being, is some people get all this ingame money, and sell it for real money
That's where the real fortune lays
"No"

Offline RVR72G

BTW, X Rebirth presentation at Gamescom (dunno whether it has been posted already though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6UAB-YNXns

(Your Colossus was destroyed in [insert system] by Pirate Harrier...:wtf:).

Your Sathanas was destroyed by Alpha 1.