Author Topic: In honor of Wing Commander...  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
In honor of Wing Commander...
In light of the recent Wing Commander happenings and our poll to create a dedicated Wing Commander board, I decided to post a list of the most important Wing Commander fan-projects. :)

I hope you enjoy these fine games. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:16:55 pm by Fury »

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: In honor of Wing Commander...
Do you know of any site with information about the series (story,etc)? I really dont know much about WC (in thruth, nothing) and would like to get to know about it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
CIC's background section is probably a good place to start, as is wikipedia. :)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I'm assuming WC isn't as freely available as FS.  As in, it's not abandonware?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are several titles in Home of the Underdogs. But WC1-5 are not abandonware.

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
YES! ANOTHER FREE GAME IN MY COLLECTION!
*clicks download button repeatedly*
Lol
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
WC1-5 are virtually abandonware.. give EA a few more years and they'll be abandonware and the SFCS genre will officially be dead
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
[n00b] Why did the Space Shooter genre die again? [/n00b]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
because Electronics Arts and Interplay are stupid

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I still have my wing commander III Disks for 3DO, and let me tell you that version stomps all over the PC version!

I no longer have access to a 3DO so I amazingly bought the PC version for like 4 bucks... It was crap!

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
[n00b] Why did the Space Shooter genre die again? [/n00b]
Basically what Kazan said.  The publishers were stupid, didn't know how to market or manage the titles, and screwed up for the last generation and the customer base dropped right off the face of the planet.  Almost nobody bought WC: Prophecy or FreeSpace 2.  In stark contrast to TIE Fighter, the original Wing Commander games (I, II, and III), and even Descent: FreeSpace.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
The supposed failure of Freespace 2 astounds me, considering it's glowing reviews from pretty much all critics, the fact that a hell of a lot of people know and like it for a "failed" game and that I remember it being very easy to get hold of on it's release, it certainly wasn't hidden in game shops either, right at the front in it's big box.

I still cannot see why it did so badly. Did it REALLY do badly?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Good reviews don't help much if the general masses don't even know it existed. Same with WC: Prophecy. But it does not really matter anymore, we have fs2_open which is capable to revive the genre in open-source format. However, so far there has not been enough promotion of the engine and the total conversions that are done or in the works. But that will change. :drevil:

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Good reviews don't help much if the general masses don't even know it existed. Same with WC: Prophecy. But it does not really matter anymore, we have fs2_open which is capable to revive the genre in open-source format. However, so far there has not been enough promotion of the engine and the total conversions that are done or in the works. But that will change. :drevil:
I sense a secret.  Reveal it!
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The supposed failure of Freespace 2 astounds me, considering it's glowing reviews from pretty much all critics, the fact that a hell of a lot of people know and like it for a "failed" game and that I remember it being very easy to get hold of on it's release, it certainly wasn't hidden in game shops either, right at the front in it's big box.

I still cannot see why it did so badly. Did it REALLY do badly?

Pretty badly.

I guess.... think Psychonauts for a recent example.  Or Beyond Good and Evil.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I still have my wing commander III Disks for 3DO, and let me tell you that version stomps all over the PC version!

I no longer have access to a 3DO so I amazingly bought the PC version for like 4 bucks... It was crap!

This statement insults the Confederations honour........

With regards to Prophecy, i remember the hype for WC3 + 4 (biggest budget ever- for its time) yet the only news of prophecyt that i found was one demo on an old CD and seeing it on sale in WHSmiths of all places..... 

I love the atmosphere of WC more than FS2, but FS2 has snazzier graphics, i have to add once the WC project is done, my soul will be in a new debacle of torment over wether i'm being true to FS2 or WC in loving the mod so much.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I guess the problem with the space shooter genre is the requirement of a joystick. Many people don't have a joystick and it's not really fun to play a real space shooter with mouse and keyboard.

Freelancer did this pretty well, but in my eyes it's no real space shooter.

Well... anyway, I'm pretty sure EA will revive the Wing Commander franchise some day. With a small budget of course. Many fans will buy it, bu it will be bad. I'd probably buy a new Wing Commander too... even if it's bad. ;)

Why did the genre die?
My answer: First-Person-Shooter

But the FPS genre will die next. There has just been too much of it. Even FPS fans start looking for some other games. Did you notice the small revival of the Adventure genre? And I'm pretty sure there are also more RPG in the works than a few years ago.

The Space Shoother genre shall rise again! :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I guess the problem with the space shooter genre is the requirement of a joystick. Many people don't have a joystick and it's not really fun to play a real space shooter with mouse and keyboard.

Well... anyway, I'm pretty sure EA will revive the Wing Commander franchise some day. With a small budget of course. Many fans will buy it, bu it will be bad. I'd probably buy a new Wing Commander too... even if it's bad. ;)

Why did the genre die?

But the FPS genre will die next. There has just been too much of it. Even FPS fans start looking for some other games. Did you notice the small revival of the Adventure genre? And I'm pretty sure there are also more RPG in the works than a few years ago.

I agree, I was I big fan of FPS games, but than I got really bored and started looking through some of my older games and demo's and came across the FS2 demo, thought actually I remeber playing this but never all the way through! I should look into getting the full version of this as it's wicked, then I found this site and you guys and haven't played another game since? (Apart from a few other space sims out there which really don't compare) Starwraith 3D, X beyond the frontier, X2 etc.

Might have a download of some of the above though and give them a try, never played WC before. (I actually have the original privateer disks at home, but couldn't play them as DOS is required)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

Why did the genre die?

the FPS genre is beginning to die off because of the glut of WW2 based games using that genre, people are gonna get tired of that sooner or later.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
MMO (mostly MMORPGs) own gaming right now