Author Topic: [GUIDE] Installing Post-MediaVPs HTL Models!  (Read 21798 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
[GUIDE] Installing Post-MediaVPs HTL Models!
Ekh-Hem

Hello there fellow FS-nerds!  :)

Hi!

Soo, you've completed a shiny new install of the bestest space-sim ever, complete with the latest epic graphics and the latest MediaVPs that puts retail FS2 to shame! And you are proud as a peach ready to jump in on the action, when you suddenly stumble upon random pic floating around the forums like this...

:eek2:

You then scramble to see if that epic model is in your game, but you have the boring, old, not-cool model instead?
 :blah:

Are you then overwhelmed by the tedious thread searching and figuring out how to install said awesome models??  :hopping:

If yes, then this thread is for you!! I have uncovered all the supah-sekret models reserved only for the elite of elite:lol:
How about that, huh?  ;7

The objective of this guide is to help you get these great models into your game as quickly and easily as possible in a very friendly way! :nod:

So lets get started shall we?
Ready? All set? If you wanna pee, now's your chance...
OK? Good. Let us begin!

Quicklinks:

-> Setting Up
-> Terrans
-> Vasudans
-> Shivans
-> Warning/ Troubleshooting
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:31:54 am by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Crybertrance

Re: [GUIDE] Installing Post-MediaVPs HTL Models!
Okay, so first things first:

STUFF YOU NEED FIRST

1) You must own a legit copy of Freespace 2.
    -> 'Cuz that's the right thing to do.

2) You must have installed, the latest version of FSO, and you must have the latest MediaVPs.
   -> Cuz if you don't have these, you are not cool...  :nono:

[NOTE]
Please don't use any kind of automated installer, those are broken and will cause more problems then they fix.
To help you make up your mind, here's a fun fact! Every time someone uses the automated installer, An axe murderer kills a kitten  :( SAVE KITTENS! INSTALL MANUALLY!

[NOOB-NOTE]
Please follow all instructions while installing the .exe's and the MediaVPs TO THE LETTER!
To help you make up your mind about this too, here's another fun fact: Every time you follow instructions properly, awesome FS stuff gets made quicker!:pimp:

[NOOB-NOTE 2]
Whatever anyone says, DO NOT touch any contents in the "data" folder of your FreeSpace 2 install. There are some highly classified nuclear launch codes in there; SO KEEP OUT!

Once, you have all that taken care of, lets proceed to SETTING UP!

SETTING UP

[NOTE]
Please note that I will not be using the traditional 'dump all files in the 'mediaVPs' folder method simply because there is a high risk of messing things up. I will be covering a slightly more 'advanced' way to install these, but it is dead simple and you can easily uninstall stuff if you goof up or need to troubleshoot!

Ohkhizay! Lets get on with the show, eh?
Hmm... so far, we have umm Ten...Eleven...Twelve...Thirteen...Fourteen Hmm, fourteen epic models released so far! Whew! The community is really picking up the pace!

*sends the FSU Team a box of cookies*

So, with that done, lets continue shall we?
Now, assuming you have set up your FS2 install properly, you do need one more very important thing before you start pimping your FS:

1) A brain.
2) Ninja-like, leet copy-pasting skillz...

However, If you don't have a brain, it's time for you to leave the room.

Let us first start with setting up a place where we will install these awesome models (also lovingly called HTLs by the community).

After installing Freespace 2, FSO (the .exe's) and the MediaVPs, this is how your Freespace 2 directory should look like:

So, we create a new folder to install these ships to. For the purpose of this thread I will name my folder as "updated_ships". You can name it anything you want, but the folder name must not contain spaces. So "updated ships" is wrong.... Use the "_" character instead!

This is how your directory should look like now.

Now inside this folder create another folder called "data". Done? OK.
Inside the newly created "data" folder, create 4 other folders called "cache" "maps" "models" and "tables".

How it should look like now.

Whew! all this folder creating is making me thirsty!
*grabs a drink*
Ah! much better!

You probably must be wondering what these folders are meant for? Surely they are not just for decoration... :p

When you download the HTL model, you are gonna get files of these formats: ".bx" ".tga/.png/.dds" ".pof" ".tbm"".vp"

• All .bx files go in -> cache
  • All .tga/.png/.dds files go in -> maps
  • All .pof files go in -> models
  • And all .tbm files go in -> tables
  • .vp files are already prepackaged mods, they should be placed in the "updated_ships" folder itself. Not in the 'data' folder
    [/color]

Now the final step, we have to integrate this folder into the game:
Go up a level, so that you are in the 'update_ships' folder, then create a new text document. Open it up and enter this:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = updated_ships;
image255x112 = ;
infotext     = ;
website      = ;
forum        = ;
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = mediavps_3612;

Now 'Save As' as 'mod.ini'

How your mod.ini should look

And the final step: Open up your FS launcher and add the this line to the end of the 'Custom Flags' field (don't forget to add a space after the last flag! :p)
Code: [Select]
-mod updated_ships
How your custom flags should look like

And that's it! We are all set up!  :yes:
Wasn't that easy?  :D
Give yourself a pat on the back and lets move on to the part you all have been waiting for!

Drum roll please!
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Crybertrance

TEH GOODIES

Now that the hard part's done, lets get on to the exciting part!

I will be posting each ship with:
1) The release thread link
2) The download link
3) An image link
4) Some extra installation notes, you may need to pay attention to this.

Okay, with that out of the way, lets us begin! (Yay!)

Lets start with the best race of them all...

THE TERRRAAAANSSS!!!
(dun-dun-dunnn)

For the ultimate race of all we have a solid four HTL'd ships! Whoo! :yes:

GTB Artemis

The Artemis was a cool ship to fly, and now you are gonna want to fly it even more! This package contains the D.H variant of the Artemis as well!

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
This package contains all the files in their appropriate folders, just extract the package and copy the "data" folder to your "updated_ships" folder.

[NOTE]
This model has a slight visual glitch with the cockpit glass in LOD1.

GTB Medusa:
The Medusa never looked better! Bombing caphips never felt better! Downloading this beauty never felt better!

GTB Boanerges
The curvy bombers are back! With style!

[NOTE]
This model has a slight visual glitch with the cockpit glass in LOD1.

GTI Arcadia
Although not technically a "ship", the FSU team sure did an awesome job with the humble Arcadia! Now docking with this station is a real pleasure!  ;7

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
Copy the textures from the "lowres01" folder and paste them (overwrite) in your "maps" folder if you are running a low-end GPU.

Aaaaand that's it for the Terran Ships!  :yes:

Next up: The curviest ships in the known universe by none other than the pig-latin speaking race, The Vasudans!  :headz:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:56:22 am by Crybertrance »

Offline Crybertrance

THE DANSUVAYS

Oh boy, there's lots of ships here! Thanks to Oddgrim and The_Dagger we have eight (that's right, e-i-g-h-t) HTL models to play with! Woot!

GVCv Sobek
The smexiest Vasudan corvette just got a face-lift! And legend has it that the Sobek class corvettes are crewed by only the hottest Vasudan chicks! All the more reason to download this fine model! :drevil:

Release Thread

->DOWNLOAD | LQ | HQ | VHQ <-

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
->This release has three quality versions:

1] Low Quality (LQ) - Contains 1024x1024 resolution texture maps. (Use for <=512 mb GPUs)
2] High Quality (HQ) - Contains 2048x2048 resolution texture maps. (Use for <=1GB GPUs)
3] Very High Quality (VHQ) - Contains 4096x4096 resolution texture maps. (Use for >1GB GPUs)

-> This release is already packaged as a .vp. Just place it in your "updated_ships" folder [NOT the Data folder]

GVF Seth
Sexy Vasudan fighter just got sexier!

GeeVeeCee Mentu
Another hot vasudan model straight out of the oven! And this one's a looker!  :nod:

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
You need to manually copy-paste the files in their appropriate folders.

GVFr Ma'at
Freight ships are always plagued with that grimy, dirty and dull look. Not anymore! Also, fully functional, animated docking clamps included! Clamp that cargo up!!!

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
You need to manually copy-paste the files in their appropriate folders.

GVF Ptah
Another fantastic example that even some of the worst looking models can be converted to pure awesome by the FSU Team!!

GVT Isis
Another excellent model by Oddgrim! He's on a roll!

[INSTALLATION NOTES] READ the ReadMe included in the package otherwise the model won't load!

GVB Osiris
Well, I'm running out of praise for Oddgrim! Exemplary!

GVF Sekhmet
You really want me to tell you how awesome this is? :p

And now! [creepyvoice] THE DARKNESS IS... COMING [/creepyvoice]  :eek::nervous: :shaking:

Offline Crybertrance

THE SHII-VANS!

So far we have 2 frighteningly beautiful Shivan models released to the public with many more in production! I assure you, dark, merciless genocide never looked this good!

SJ Sathanas

[NOTE]
Okay guys, slight change of plan here, because the Sathanas is such a bad-ass ship in general, there is not one, but TWO bad-ass models to compliment it! You can choose any one based on personal preference, but be assured that both are equally as bad-ass... Did I mention the models are bad-ass already? :p

SJ Sathanas (by Rga_noris)

From the cold empty void of space... Far beyond the Terran-Vasudan systems... A dreadful beast appears...

->DOWNLOAD LQ | HQ | VHQ <-

[INSTALLATION NOTES]

1] Low Quality (LQ) - Contains 1024x1024 resolution texture maps. (Use for <=512 mb GPUs)
2] High Quality (HQ) - Contains 2048x2048 resolution texture maps. (Use for <=1GB GPUs)
3] Very High Quality (VHQ) - Contains 4096x4096 resolution texture maps. (Use for >1GB GPUs)

SJ Sathanas (by Bobbtmann)

From the cold empty void of space... Far beyond the Terran-Vasudan systems... A dreadful beast appears...Again...

->DOWNLOAD HQ | VHQ <-

[INSTALLATION NOTES]
->This release has two quality versions:

1] High Quality (HQ) - Contains 2048x2048 resolution texture maps. (Use for <=1GB GPUs)
2] Very High Quality (VHQ) - Contains 4096x4096 resolution texture maps. (Use for >1GB GPUs)

->This model is already released as a pre-packaged .vp. Place it in your 'updated_ships' folder.

SC Rakshasa
Oooooh... shiny!

->DOWNLOAD LQ | HQ | VHQ<-

[INSTALLATION NOTES]

->This model is already released as a pre-packaged .vp. Place it in your 'updated_ships' folder.

And with that, the list of epicness has finally come to a close!
[obligatory 'I blame Axem!']
Stick around for a little obligatory warning or you might get into trouble!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:02:26 am by Crybertrance »

Offline Crybertrance

WARNING!

It has to be made clear that since the official MediVPs release, most mods are likely not ready to support all these new models and that it's possible these models may break missions, even in the retail FS2 campaign. Installing as a separate 'mod' is most ideal because it's easy to remove them during troubleshooting (see below). However, I suspect most people don't want to deal with that, so they could, in theory, put them in the MediaVPs folder. However, that is even -more- likely to break missions.
-MjnMixael

TROUBLESHOOTING

If you are experiencing problems with your game after installing any of these addons, remove the  "-mod updated_ships" line from your launchers Custom flags. Then try to reproduce the problem to see if it occurs. You are more than welcome to post your problem on the forums or jump on the IRC with a fs2_open.log ready and you will get help! We have a nice and helpful community here and would be glad to help sort it out. (Unless, of course, if you have not followed instructions... In which case The_E will come to your house with a baseball bat....  :p)

And there you have it! A better looking FS2! Woot! Thanks for paying attention and I hope you had a fun time too!

Till we meet again, This is Crybertrance, signing off :warp:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nice work, Crybertrance!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Typhonnnnn :nervous:

(Also the Hades, though that is ostensibly a FS Port model - there is a table entry for the Hades in FS2)

Excellent work though!

[EDIT] Also the Knossos, though the change over retail isn't very drastic so it's easy to miss!

Offline Lorric

While I'm content with what I already have, I must compliment you on a very nice presentation. Very easy on the eye, I'm sure it's going to lure some people in who wouldn't have thought of grabbing these things otherwise...  :nod:

Offline Crybertrance

Typhonnnnn :nervous:

(Also the Hades, though that is ostensibly a FS Port model - there is a table entry for the Hades in FS2)

Excellent work though!

[EDIT] Also the Knossos, though the change over retail isn't very drastic so it's easy to miss!

No link for the HTL Typhoon and Hades outside of the FSport MediaVPs :'( :'(
Oh, and Ill add the Knossos in a bit, sorry, I missed that out!  :p

Offline Arpit

Good work.  :yes:

However, AFAIK the HTL Artemis had a glass issue in LOD1. Was that fixed?  :doubt:

Same issue with Boanerges. (It had engine texture on its cockpit in LOD1) Was that fixed in the download?

If yes then woooohooooo!  :nod:

But if no, then we should mention it to the downloaders, right?   :blah:

Offline Crybertrance

Good work.  :yes:

However, AFAIK the HTL Artemis had a glass issue in LOD1. Was that fixed?  :doubt:

Same issue with Boanerges. (It had engine texture on its cockpit in LOD1) Was that fixed in the download?

If yes then woooohooooo!  :nod:

But if no, then we should mention it to the downloaders, right?   :blah:

Did a quick test, and no. Those issues are still persistent. Kinda strange I didn't notice them! :p I had them in my game for the longest time and didn't notice! (But then again, when do you notice a LOD1 in the heat of combat!)

But never the less... I will add a caution in the post!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Offline Arpit

I had them in my game for the longest time and didn't notice! (But then again, when do you notice a LOD1 in the heat of combat!)

*Arpit reminds Crybertrance of the targeting window which by default shows LOD1. (Although with some tabling knowledge you can make it show LOD0. *

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Someone give this guy a medal. Thanks so much for this. :yes:
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Arpit

One thing I have to mention: that Sathanas pic with mjn's warp effect look pretty cool.  :cool:
Where did you get it?

Offline Crybertrance

One thing I have to mention: that Sathanas pic with mjn's warp effect look pretty cool.  :cool:
Where did you get it?

Here!

Offline Arpit

Yeah, that pic was a good one. But this one........

is the best of all. In fact this has been a screencap contest winner!

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
A big thank you for this tutorial, it's also a really good way to obtain ALL the new ships in a simple manner. Very practical for those who eventually missed a release thread.
 :yes: :yes: :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Luis Dias

:yes:

Thanks for specifying that my Sathanas is NOT recommended. Makes it sound like some broken wreck.