Author Topic: Using Knossos to run multiple mods?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline pnd90

Using Knossos to run multiple mods?
Hi all, apologies in advance for the newb question, and I hope this thread is at least in the right place.

I'm using Knossos with a GOG Galaxy copy of FS2. Is there a way to launch an FS2 instance that uses multiple mods simultaneously, either with a campaign mod or with the vanilla campaign? I ask because launching FS2 via the Blue Planet 'button' in Knossos seems to override my cosmetic mods (Cockpit Mod and Mainhalls), and launching via the FS Upgrade Media VPs button overrides Cockpit Mod.

It seems like I must be doing something wrong, because in most other modding workflows, e.g. Skyrim, you can download all your mods and (specific dependencies/incompatibilities aside) run an instance with a bunch of mods at once through the launcher.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 02:15:06 pm by pnd90 »

Re: Using Knossos to run multiple mods?
Modding in Freespace works quite differently from many other games, where mods commonly influence separate subsystems and can work independently. While some 'utility' mod exist, most mods are entire campaigns, and will provide new data or modify existing data for almost everything, for a complete package rather than just a subsystem. The usage of a mainhall is dictated by the data of the campaign itself, and usage of a cockpit is dictated by the data of the ships themselves, and since the new mod is coming with its own wholecloth campaigns and ships (typically), you would need to specifically modify their campaign data or their ship data in order for them to work (which would then not carry over to further mods, as you'd need to make these changes with all their data as well)

While, theoretically it's possible for these types of things to be done generically (a mainhall which is used regardless of the campaign, or cockpits which are used regardless of the ship), this is unfortunately not how it works in the engine. Your only option, as far as I know, is to manually make a series of relatively minor changes specific to that mod onto their table files.

Offline pnd90

Re: Using Knossos to run multiple mods?
Got it, that's extremely helpful. Thanks so much!