Author Topic: [FA] C2M6 Darth DySkO  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Dysko

[FA] C2M6 Darth DySkO
Here it is the 6th mission from the 2nd campaign:

http://fileho.com/download/c84b26322794/[FA]-C2M6-Darth-DySkO.fs2.html

I need advices especially about balancing and grammar checking :D

EDIT: sorry about the broken link... I'm working on fixing it now.
EDIT2: past the following link in the browser. It should work:
Code: [Select]
http://fileho.com/download/c84b26322794/[FA]-C2M6-Darth-DySkO.fs2.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:16:26 pm by Darth DySkO »
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: [FA] C2M6 Darth DySkO
Downloaded.

Playing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All in all that's definitely one of the better FREDded FA missions I've played to date. Although I have some balancing issues with it I really can't fault the FREDding that much. :)

Lets see what points did come to mind though. :)

1. The Transport doesn't actually appear to be killing anything. I still end up facing all the Shivan fighters. As such I can't actually complete the mission because Alpha wing die very quickly and then I'm just battling to survive against 3 enemy wings. You may need to self destruct a few of the Shivan ships if the explosion isn't proving deadly enough.

2. While I like the idea of the training message revealing if you're in the node or not it completely drowns out all the other messages on the F4 screen. In addition due to the build up of messages it sometimes takes a little while to change after you leave or enter the node. I'd suggest to either sending the message only every 5 seconds (so that one appears as the other one expires) or only sending the message when the status changes. Both of those would probably require the use of variables. Give me a shout if you're having trouble figuring out how to do it.

3. The game leaves you sitting around quite a while if you replay it. I suppose that's more an issue of the way the mission is set up than anything you've done wrong but there are a couple of things you can do in cases like this

a) Have the game choose from more than one set of mission banter.
b) Have the game set a BanterOver persistent variable and then use this to skip to the fun part after the player has died once or twice.

Now balancing is a rather different matter. It might be due to the 1st issue but I found the mission way to hard. I didn't have a hope of taking out the guns on Medium without 5 shivan ships appearing to shoot me in the arse. :)

All in all though this is a good (if very hard) mission.

Offline Dysko

a) Have the game choose from more than one set of mission banter.
b) Have the game set a BanterOver persistent variable and then use this to skip to the fun part after the player has died once or twice.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a banter?

BTW, in the next days I'll try to fix most of the bugs. Thanks for the advices :)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Banter basically means general chat at the start of the mission. Basically the stuff before the Argo explodes in your mission. The problem is that after you've played the mission once that stuff gets repetitive very quickly.

Having several choices or a way to skip it reduces that. :)