Author Topic: Warzone  (Read 124729 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
The original scenery is all replaced with LS Nebulae in any case.  I'd say let's use hot super earth as a dead planet, and go for the lava planet as a satellite of a gas giant.  Use your imagination to come up with a good BIG gas giant.  The original Warzone scenery included a gas giant with material being pulled off into the star it orbited. This effect looked weird due to limitations of the graphics of the period.  This idea would make a good substitute, I think.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I've got an idea...

I am sure you have heard of a hot Jupiter. Well, I think I am going to try to recreate a hot Jupiter, similar to the extrasolar planet "Osiris", which is so close to its parent star that it is losing its atmosphere. This would produce a form of stream or tail flowing behind the planet as it orbited its star. While the chances of a satellite existing in orbit around hot Jupiters are very, very slim due to the rapid revolution of the planet and due to extreme tidal forces, we can assume that the lava "planet" is near the end of its days.

While I am all for keeping star systems as realistic as possible, adding planets to systems which don't actually have planets is no big deal. Recreating this "Osiris" type hot Jupiter will take some time and experimentation, but I will try to make it look as good as possible. I'm thinking 1024x1024 would be a good size for it. How does that sound?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:39:07 pm by m2258734a »

Offline Admiral Nelson

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Awesome.  :yes:

I went ahead and added the hot super Earth to one of my previous posts. I tried to update the message before anyone could read it, but I think you beat me to it.  :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I don't see any difference...create the messages via FRED and UL that mission only ;)

Gah, Mobius ,are you trying to drive me crazy, or is it it just the language barrier? :P

In that previous post,I listed off several events changes that need to be made to the mission in FRED.  Trust me when I say you don't want me attempting that - the extent of my FREDing skills involve opening the missions, editing messages, editing the briefing text, and editing the debriefing text.

Here's the specific list:
1.  The debriefing events conditions need to be changed to reflect the four conditions I posted (two success, two failures).
2.  The Nicholas' departure should wait until all enemy craft are destroyed.  Right now, it doesn't.
3.  I need an event added to trigger when the FIRST transport jumps out, before all the others.
4.  The fighters launched by the Remehas need to go after the cruiser specifically.  They didn't when last I played it.
5.  The Equinox is still doing it's funky spin before leaving.

If you can add/change those events (or tell me how to do it), then I can go through and add all of the text changes and extra transmissions.

Is that a little clearer? :D

Refer back to this post: 

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,46147.msg949323.html#msg949323

I'm nowhere near my computer for the next few days, but text stuff I can do from my girlfriend's computer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:00:21 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
But where's the mission with your mods, Ryan? As I said, I don't want to override stuff.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Admiral Nelson

He doesn't know how to make the edits.  He wants one of us to add the events and messages in FRED, and then send it to him to edit the text.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I haven't made any mods since Nelson's last WIP - I'm waiting for a new copy with the events =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I get it...I'll try to do what you have requested :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I get it...I'll try to do what you have requested :)

...6 posts and 2 days later :P  *noogies Mobius*

What happened to that critique I was supposed to edit for you?  It never manifested itself.  If you're still going to do it and want me to look at it, email it to me (same address as my MSN account).

Attached is the Lava1 TGA. Just in case you all missed it, I have placed the hot super Earth TGA in one of my previous posts which I have renamed so there's no confusion between the two celestial bodies.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I had no time...I will edit the mission this evening :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Edited...I've done everything you wanted, Ryan.

The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Edited...I've done everything you wanted, Ryan.

Mobius, my friend, you're a beautiful human being =)

Alright, I'm going to finish polishing up that mission and few a few other grammatical mistakes I've found and then re-upload the WIP missions for testing.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Guess my last post was premature.

I found a few little issues aside from textual ones which I've fixed, and I've altered some of the message/event timing around the Nicholas after a few playtests so it works a little better.

However, despite a series of edits and 3 different playtesting sessions, I cannot get the debriefings Mobius added to work - even in his original mission..  The only one that does is the AWOL - if you complete the mission, you get a "No debriefing available for E2M1" message.  I've looked through all the events and the mission objectives and I can't find the source of the problem.  Hopefully, someone else a little more familiar with FRED can.  I'm attaching the latest edition of this mission to my post.

Also, when the Nicolas departs a "Bonus Objective Complete" message does not appear on the HUD.  That should be added.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:31:36 pm by MP-Ryan »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
This is strange, I used simple conditions for all of the debriefing stages. I'll check it...

It's a pity you're not a girl. *runs*
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This is strange, I used simple conditions for all of the debriefing stages. I'll check it...

It's a pity you're not a girl. *runs*

To be a little more specific:
-I removed the obsolete secondary goals (from when you could pass the mission with a dead convoy ship) and related events.  They weren't part of the new debrief anyway.
-I fixed the briefing icons and wing name (Theta was Iota, oddly).
-Re-timed messaging events and Nicolas' departure.

The objectives throughout are:
1.  Protect the convoy
Bonus:  Protect the Nicolas.

However, when both are completed, you get no notification about the Bonus (e.g. the "Bonus Objective Complete" does not flash up in the middle of the HUD) and the debriefing doesn't work.  Hence my confusion.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Well, the event <LGM> Nicolas Depart will return true even if the Nicolas hasn't arrived yet!  This seems to be the source of most of these problems.  This event should only be triggered after the Nicolas arrives.  It is entirely possible to get messages from and to the cruiser before it shows up, and then when it does actually arrive, it instantly departs.  The mission now seems to be making some assumptions around the timing of when you destroy Taurus wing vis-a-vis when the convoy departs.  It is quite possible for the convoy to fully depart before this wing is destroyed, and then all sorts of problems begin.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Hrmm.  I haven't had that occur in any of my playtests but it does make sense.  Usually the mission proceeds just as it should, but then there's no bonus notification and no debrief.

Interestingly, as I just told Mob, if a convoy ship gets destroyed and you get an RTB order, if you jump out after getting the order you still get an AWOL message.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The real problem is different, Nelson and Ryan. The goal relative to the Nicolas was set to "Invalid"!!!

Here's the mission. There are some minor bug fixes.

Also, you should have realized that the Equinox problems has been resolved...it as about the coordinates of the waypoint, that weren't placed in front of the corvette(the reason beyonf that turning).

EDIT: There's just one attachment now. I had some problems with my connection when posting, sorry.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:07:15 pm by LieutenantGeneralMobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon