Author Topic: Spacegamejunkie.com podcast Interview  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Spacegamejunkie.com podcast Interview
Cool podcast. :nod:

I can shed some light on why the GOG affiliate program fell through.  Both GOG and HLP thought it was a terrific idea, and we were all set to sign an affiliate agreement until we took a second or third look at the fine print.  One of the lawyerly paragraphs basically required HLP to cease development of mods and enhancement of the source code, and assigned all intellectual property to GOG.  Our GOG contact agreed that this wasn't acceptable (especially given Volition's very generous licensing arrangements for both mods and the code), and said that he would check with their legal department.  That was in January 2009, and that was the last we heard of it.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
E, you have a very mellifluous voice. I would gladly listen to a series of recordings of you explaining how everyday objects work.

Thanks for the FotG shoutout :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
E, you have a very mellifluous voice.

Glad at least someone thinks so :P Personally, I can't stand the sound of my own voice :)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You could definitely play science advisors etc in campaigns.

I hate my voice too btw.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Listening to it right now~

Thanks for WoD name drop  ;)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

It's amazing the shock one can feel when hearing their own voice? Even after doing a year's worth of these podcasts, I'm still like "That's me?! GOD I sound super nasally".

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Yeah, hearing yourself without bone conduction can be a pretty disappointing experience. If you want to feel better about your adult voice, just dig up a home video of yourself at age six. Squeek squeek squeek! Suddenly you sound awesome.

Suddenly? I've always sounded awesome.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.

I can shed some light on why the GOG affiliate program fell through.  Both GOG and HLP thought it was a terrific idea, and we were all set to sign an affiliate agreement until we took a second or third look at the fine print.  One of the lawyerly paragraphs basically required HLP to cease development of mods and enhancement of the source code, and assigned all intellectual property to GOG.  Our GOG contact agreed that this wasn't acceptable (especially given Volition's very generous licensing arrangements for both mods and the code), and said that he would check with their legal department.  That was in January 2009, and that was the last we heard of it.

That's such a damn shame.  Why would they ever want to become an affiliate with a modding organisation and then stop them modding?

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I'm not really keen on this legal stuff, but if you use a non-commercial product to promote a commercial product, the non-commercial product suddenly becomes pretty commercial, and HLP does not have a license to produce that. It could possibly make sense.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Thats a shame but I can certainly see why it happened
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Suddenly? I've always sounded awesome.

I thought you were Michaels son in GtaV ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's such a damn shame.  Why would they ever want to become an affiliate with a modding organisation and then stop them modding?

You'll find that a lot of times there is a disconnect between what the company wants and what the lawyers want.  The lawyers were probably covering all their bases, and the company wasn't aware of the ramifications.  And, as often happens in legalese, the agreement didn't specifically that we had to stop modding, it was merely the natural interpretation of the wording.  (E.g. "you may not produce any derivative works of the product".)

As for why they never got back to us, I can think of three reasons: a) it got lost in the to-do list, b) the lawyers convinced the company it was too risky to change the agreement, c) the GOG executives truly do not want to allow mods.  I think c) is unlikely.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

You'll find that a lot of times there is a disconnect between what the company wants and what the lawyers want.  The lawyers were probably covering all their bases, and the company wasn't aware of the ramifications.  And, as often happens in legalese, the agreement didn't specifically that we had to stop modding, it was merely the natural interpretation of the wording.  (E.g. "you may not produce any derivative works of the product".)

As for why they never got back to us, I can think of three reasons: a) it got lost in the to-do list, b) the lawyers convinced the company it was too risky to change the agreement, c) the GOG executives truly do not want to allow mods.  I think c) is unlikely.

given that we have had other interactions i would agree C is not likely, personally I would lean towards option A after B happened
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art