Author Topic: Error message after switching from my mod to another  (Read 1674 times)

Offline SL1

Error message after switching from my mod to another
Over the weekend, I put together a few pilot head anis that I'd like to post here and get feedback on. Unfortunately, I'm having a problem.

I used the .eff method to make the anis, because I had trouble understanding the tutorials I found for making ani files. I used FRED 2 Open to make a mission that sends messages for each ani, as a demonstration. Then I put everything into a VP using Maja, so I could upload it as a mod instead of a bunch of loose files. The launcher recognizes the VP and allows me to activate it as a mod, and the demo mission runs as intended. The problem occurs when I try to switch back to another mod afterwards. When I switch to another mod and try to choose my pilot, I get this error message: "The pilot savefile for this campaign is invalid for the current mod. Please select another campaign or switch to the correct mod in order to use this campaign."

The problem seems to fix itself if I quit the game, select "no mod" in the launcher, launch the game, quit, and re-launch with a mod activated. Still, I don't want to cause people inconvenience, and because I've never made a mod for this game before, I'm not sure that I haven't caused some major screwup. I've obviously done something wrong, because this doesn't happen when switching between other mods. So if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Error message after switching from my mod to another
That's not really a big error.

What names did you use for your demo missions? I suspect the problem is that you used names that exist in the campaign you were playing before you switched. Or that you created a campaign file for your mod and that is what is causing the error. Either way there's nothing wrong with your pilot heads.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SL1

It does appear that the error is pretty much harmless. If I just exit out of the error message and switch mods like I'd normally do, the game eventually stops complaining.

I thought the problem might be that I'd had the MediaVPs (and maybe another mod, I'm not sure) active when I loaded FRED2 to make the mission. I'm still getting used to how the system handles mods. It looks like FRED2 Open defaults to importing the last mod you launched the game with, even if you deactivate it in the launcher. I wasn't aware of that. I made a new, "clean" mission, making sure that before I launched FRED, I launched the game with no mods active. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the error even with that new mission.

The name of my mission is "ani-test-1". As far as I know, none of the campaigns I have installed use that name for any of their missions. I'm also sure I didn't create a campaign file, because my mission appears under Single Missions in the simulator. So I'm still at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Would it be considered bad form if I posted a new thread titled "Some anis I'd like feedback on" or something (or changed the title of this thread), so that it's more about the anis themselves? If the error is harmless and these are WIPs anyway, I'd like to see if the anis have any of the in-game problems I'm worried about.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That would be perfectly fine. To be honest, the error might even be caused simply by switching mods, it's just that I seem to remember that error saying something else. Either way it's a pretty trivial error and nothing to really worry about.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]