Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 907833 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
The Erebus power grid is insanely good so it's way better at handling extremely rapid spikes in demand. Many of the next-generation beams require dedicated reactors which are super heat and space intensive; the Erebus is able to supply the pulse beams off the mains.

Offline starlord

I see.

Offline AdDur

During my replay of BP I actually managed to see new, kinda funny way to play "Collateral Damage" mission, by disabling Idomeneus (quite low difficulty level and tons of dumbfires were required). Corvette can't be destroyed (unlike cruiser Cho), so it keeps drifting with 1% of integrity hull... but what is even more interesting it was possible to finish mission.

Offline MrxPL

I've finished Age of Aquarius the other day and it was awesome. Intersting plot, great storytelling and stuff. Excited I started playing War in Heaven two hours ago and I have to say it sucks IMO. It's boring and I can't relate to the characters at all. There is too much pointless (again, IMO) talking and a lot of unneeded agonizing. Sorry for the rant but it's kind of unexpected how much it differs (in a bad way) from its predecessor. (again, IMO)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
It's person to person, but I believe that you can't judge the whole WiH solely by its beginning. Although I must admit that it is much more character-driven than AoA and there's also much much more lore and similar stuff in the campaign - ingame dialogues, briefings and debriefings, fiction texts (the stuff you get to read before the command briefing). I say that it gives much more depth to the whole BP universe, but again, personal preference.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Personally, I prefer my lore and plot arcs to be laid out in the viewer and briefings, rather than in the missions themselves. The missions in WiH do a fantastic job of being the climactic, action-heavy, time-is-valuable-let's-do-the-thing feeling that I want from them. Far more so than purely story (and largely non-interactive) missions in Age of Aquarius like, ...With Vast Seas, Journey of a Thousand Miles, Ceremony, First Contact, Sacrifices, and Demons of the Past.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Phew! I have just finished my 'FS saga' playthrough. FS Port, Trimurti, Deneb III, ST:R, Operation Templar, FS Blue, AoA, WiH 1&2 - in that order. Took several months but what a ride! Definitely recommended for newcomers.

I'll probably repeat this process in a few years when I have upgraded my PC and have saved up for a TrackIR system. If anyone can recommend any other mods that would fit into this timeline please let me know :-)

I'm now going going to listen to Morrigan in Shadow to finish it off :-) http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/dickinson_12_15/ Remember to click the tiny and easily missed 'audio' icon to have the lovely Kate Baker (no relation  :p) read it to you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:13:39 am by Iain Baker »
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline AdDur

I think Vassago Dirge is a good candidate...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I think Vassago Dirge is a good candidate...

I thought I had forgot to list something 🙂 Yeah, I played VD after FS:B. It's bloody good 😊
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline CT27

Two campaigns I'd recommend:

Destiny Of Peace (between FS1 and FS2)
Derelict (post-Capella)

Offline AdDur

I believe, "FS-Saga" means campaings that are compatible to BP canon... Derelict is not.

Besides... Derelict is important to the history of FS fan campaings... but it did not aged well...

Offline CT27

I believe, "FS-Saga" means campaings that are compatible to BP canon... Derelict is not.

Besides... Derelict is important to the history of FS fan campaings... but it did not aged well...

To each their own but I partially disagree; I still have fun with Derelict even today.

Offline AdDur

Well, I replayed Derelict quite recently - it was not bad, i do not regret time spent with it... but... it pales in comparision to newer campaigns both in gameplay and story.

Personally I would recommend Frontlines and Between the Ashes. They both are I think, canon-neutral to be part of any canon...

Offline starlord

Shrouding the light maybe?

Offline Fully

So aside from gameplay reasons, what's stopping the GTVA/UEF from installing trebuchet/grimmler/slammer launchers on their capships and driving fighter pilots to extinction?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We've actually played around with that a lot. The answer is basically countermeasures.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
EDIT: Wrong discussion, sorry, was tab browsing and missed the right topic!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:19:40 pm by HLD_Prophecy »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
AdDur, starlord, - thank you for the info :-)

CT27 - I'm actually replaying derelict now. It definitely looks a lot better than it did before, now that it is using the latest MVPs. After having to learn a whole new skillset for BP act three, I had a hankerin' for some old school freeSpacin'  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Randomly while we're in this thread I'll mention two things I'm proud of that BP contributed to the community — we figured out that two retail mechanics, AI classes and countermeasures, worked in insane ways or didn't work at all. Really digging into those systems and trying to explore them led to knowledge and fixes that can benefit everybody's campaigns.

It still blows my mind that every single ****ing campaign up to War in Heaven probably used AI classes to some extent and they just did not work sanely. AFAIK they would just randomly be reset to their default values. And turret AI did nothing at all.

Countermeasures were so dumb it took Rian's MIT brain to figure them out (I mean the actual deduction was fairly simple, but nobody else spotted it).

Offline Fully

Randomly while we're in this thread I'll mention two things I'm proud of that BP contributed to the community — we figured out that two retail mechanics, AI classes and countermeasures, worked in insane ways or didn't work at all. Really digging into those systems and trying to explore them led to knowledge and fixes that can benefit everybody's campaigns.

It still blows my mind that every single ****ing campaign up to War in Heaven probably used AI classes to some extent and they just did not work sanely. AFAIK they would just randomly be reset to their default values. And turret AI did nothing at all.

Countermeasures were so dumb it took Rian's MIT brain to figure them out (I mean the actual deduction was fairly simple, but nobody else spotted it).
How did they work originally and what did you guys change? always guessed missiles had a chance to switch targets to the CM based on a tbl score, proximity, and angle between cm and target ship