Author Topic: [RELEASE] Yet Another Launcher (Linux, Windows, OSX soon).  (Read 96701 times)

Offline smurd

Re: [RELEASE] Yet Another Launcher (Linux, Windows, OSX soon).
At least, after changing back to the original layout, which is, as far as I understand, also suggested in the
release thread, *and* after changing "secondarylist" to "secondrylist" in the mod.ini files, yal now uses the
correct mod options when I choose the fsport-mediavps mod, which ist

Code: [Select]
-mod fsport-mediavps,fsport,mediavps
So it seems the main problem was secondarylist vs. secondrylist. When I select the fsport mod, yal uses

-mod fsport,fsport-mediavps,mediavps
I honestly don't know if this is desired or not, and from how I understand chief1983, the fsport mod.ini file
shouldn't refer to mediavps and fsport-mediavps at all, because it is supposed to give you the Free Space port
without any additional vps. But I guess that is something for the fsport crew to decide on.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I just downloaded FSPort last night.  Playing FSPort can utilize anywhere from 1 to 3 folders, fsport, fsportmvps, and mediavps.  To play with retail graphics and no other enhancements, just select the fsport.  The mod.ini in the fsport directory should have no primary or secondary list variables defined.  Although it seems someone left some semicolons out of the file I downloaded, since I think every line should end in one except for the [] tags.  Either way, the mod.ini I downloaded with the fsport last night in the core file is this:

[launcher]
modname      = The Freespace Port 3.1
image255x112 = fsport.bmp;
infotext     = A fourteen-year war between the Terran and Vasudan species leads into something far more sinister. This is the story of the Great War.;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html;

[multimod]
primarylist  =
secondarylist =

It should not require any other mods to play it by itself.  To use it with the fsport mediavps and the fs2 mediavps, you would extract the fsport mediavp file to its own directory, fsportmvp, and select it as a mod.  It includes both the fsport and the mediavps directories in its secondary list, as you have it set up to do.  But you somehow seem to have a differently set up fsport mod.ini than I do, unless it changed between the times we downloaded it I don't know how that would have happened.  The FSPort MediaVPs were designed to be installed as a separate mod from the rest of the port, although I don't think the release notes made this very clear, and it seems you were setting it up that way.  But having includes of mods in the fsport folder was backwards and it wasn't set up to be installed in that manner.  If you put the port mediavps in their own mod folder and use it as a mod with its mod.ini it should take precedence over the low detail data in the port itself (it did for me just last night).

Edit:  Ah yes, secondrylist.  Forgot about that.  Just for clarity, here's my fsportmvp folder's mod.ini:

[launcher]
modname      = The FSPort Media VP
image255x112 = fsportmvp.bmp;
infotext     = Freespace Port Media VPs. Requires FSPort 3.1 and Media VPs 3.6.10. ;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,170.0.html;

[multimod]
primarylist  =
secondrylist = fsport,mediavps
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline smurd

Well, looks like you got a different fsport mod.ini than I got. Maybe something was changed after you
downloaded the archives after all. Maybe you can compare the md5 checksum of fsport3_1.zip with mine, which
is

28c9e2c65a48e836872db8876227638b  fsport3_1.zip
Also, it seems the name of the fsport mv folder was changed from fsportmv to fsport-mediavps, see
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58357.msg1178255.html#msg1178255.

And, at last, my fsport mod.ini file, which is different from yours, also breaks the Windows launcher, as I get
the same error that is reported in these two messages:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58357.msg1178208.html#msg1178208
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58357.msg1178251.html#msg1178251

Using your mod.ini works as expected, and as I already wrote, the fsport-mediavps mod.ini works as well,
after changing "secondarylist" to "secondrylist". By the way, I just checked with the windows loader, and
it does understand "secondardlist", so adding support for this to yal as Havner proposed would be good,
for compatibility.

Offline smurd

And just for the sake of completeness, the problem in the windows loader seems to come from the dash in
fsport-mediavps (see http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,58357.msg1178396.html#msg1178396).

Looks like yal is a little more robust in this regard and does not suffer from the same problem, it just passes a mod name with a dash in it to the game the right way.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok.  I'm surprised your mediavps mod.ini had secondarylist, mine had secondrylist too.  Unless someone has swapped out two different VPs I don't know why this would have happened.  From the looks of it, you'd have been less confused had you grabbed them a couple hours after release last night.  *sigh*

Edit:  Yup it looks like someone tried to clean up the mod.ini in the port mediavps file too, it has all the missing semicolons now but they did in fact change the spelling of secondary, which as you've seen breaks YAL apparently.  Time to update that source code I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline smurd

I checked again, this time with the fsport mod.ini that came with my fsport3_1.zip, but after changing fsport-mediavps to
fsportmvps, so that it reads:

[multimod]
primarylist  = fsportmvps;
secondrylist = mediavps;

Using that in the Windows launcher works, but the result is different from what yal uses. The windows launcher interprets this as:

-mod fsportmvps,fsport,mediavps
I wrote my own xyz/mod.ini, which uses:

[multimod]
primarylist  = abc,zzz;
secondarylist = def,ggg;

This results in

-mod abc,zzz,xyz,def,ggg
So the Windows launcher, which as far as I can see is the only authority so far on how the mod.ini file needs to be interpreted, puts the mods from "primarylist" at the beginning of the list, then adds the selected mod, and then adds the secondrylist mods. This is different from yal, which puts the selected mod first, then primarylist, then secondrylist. Maybe yal should change it's behaviour in this regard (and *maybe* the way mod.ini is to be interpretated should be standardized some way, e.g. in the Wiki, by someone or several someones who have the authority to do so). Well, anyway, it looks like I found the answers to all my questions, thanks a lot *g*

Offline Havner

Ok, so to sum up from this thread for yal:

1. add secondarylist to the accepted keywords next to secondrylist
2. order: pimarylist,modname,secondarylist

The problems you first hit where caused by the sum of the above, right?
Need a linux launcher? Check here.

Offline smurd

Yes. From that, and from one of the mod.ini files referering to other mods, where it should not use them. But that is of course not yal's problem.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup!  Thanks Havner.

Also, after rereading the vast majority of this thread, I realize I kind of sounded like an ignorant dick.  Sorry I so completely failed to grasp the whole problem with the config dirs, I'm just now wondering what's going to happen when I start trying to run both the SWC standalone test build and regular FS2 on my Mac I just got set up.  I'm guessing they're still going to collide config dirs.

Offline smurd

chief1983: Don't worry. I have several years of Usenet experience, so I am not very sensitive in this regard anymore  :lol:

Anyway, I have another suggestion for yal. It shows a field with the selected mod's name
next to the buttons "Select Mod" and "No Mod". Currently, yal shows the name of the
mod folder. The mod.ini file however has a "modname" field. From the blueplanet mod.ini:

# modname: Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
modname      = Blue Planet;

Maybe yal could make use of this to display the mod name.

Offline Havner

I suppose it could  :nod:

Offline smurd

And yet another suggestion. The website and forum entries in the mod.ini file are optional. When they are
empty, klicking on the website and forum buttons in yal does nothing. Maybe when they do nothing anyway,
they should be deactivated or greyed out, so the user knows that they won't do anything for this mod, instead
of wondering why the browser does not pop up.

Offline smurd

... and maybe a tool tip for the two buttons, or some other kind of display showing the URL that will be opened before you click on it?

Offline smurd

I believe I found another bug in yal. I used the custom flags field to apply the settings that are recommended in the mediavps 3.10 release thread, namely:

-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5
After applying the settings, ~/.fs2_open/launcher6.ini shows this line:

game_flags = [other flags] -ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5;
However, when I quit yal and restart it, the settings in the custom flags field show:

-ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static -spec_tube 1.5
Please note how the numeric value for -spec_static is missing. launcher6.ini still has the value, so it seems
that yal somehow parses it's configuration file the wrong way.

Offline Havner

Noted, thanks. I'll get to all of this soon.

Offline smurd

Did you modify yal somehow bypassing svn? I have the impression that there have been some changes, e.g.
yal now uses "primarylist" correctly. However, svn log shows

r105 | havner | 2008-05-24 03:21:17 +0200
as the latest commit :wtf:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Perhaps trunk was already fixed before but the 0.1.3 tag was always broken?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:39:54 pm by chief1983 »

Offline Havner

Did you modify yal somehow bypassing svn? I have the impression that there have been some changes, e.g.
yal now uses "primarylist" correctly. However, svn log shows

r105 | havner | 2008-05-24 03:21:17 +0200
as the latest commit :wtf:

Bypass? No. What version are you talking about? From what I see in the code 0.1.3 did that wrong treating all mods (primary + secondary as one list). But in trunk it seems to be fixed. So I must have done that long time ago just made no release with that fix. Compile trunk then and you should be ok with that.

Offline smurd

I thought I was using trunk when I found that problem with primarylist, but maybe I was wrong and using some older version instead. Nevermind.

Offline Havner

r106 | havner | 2009-01-10 11:51:50 +0100 (Sat, 10 Jan 2009) | 4 lines

- display full mod name in mod tab (launcher:modname)
- allow secondarylist along with secondry list
- fixed a bug where a field could disappear in custom_flags

Most needed bug fixes for now.

I'll try to sit down to cleaning some of the code and going further with implementing other tabs (along with your sugestions, grey buttons, tooltips, etc)

For now Smurd please check if it behaves correctly.