Author Topic: Tactical fleet simulators?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Tactical fleet simulators?
Are there any good tactical fleet simulators akin to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident around?

Offline Shade

Re: Tactical fleet simulators?
The Star Trek: Fleet Command games are kinda along that line. Though they're a bit old, you only directly control one ship, and also involve some strategic management in upgrading etc. Not bad games overall, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

homeworld series?

Hmm.

SD? :P

ooh ooh, x2 / x3 - x2 for the older PC's, x3 for the newer ones. X3 is much better, combats more fun and it looks AMAZING! but X2 still looks pretty good and is fun to play.

im intrested to know as well.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2 are good games but they lack ship customization alltogether. X series aren't exactly tactical fleet simulators.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Sword of the Stars, Hegemonia: Legions of Iron, and the Imperium Galactica series.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Ohh, Sword of the Stars got into shops earlier this month, gotta order it. Hegemonia and IG2 I already have.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Ohh, Sword of the Stars got into shops earlier this month, gotta order it.
Way to rub it in. As far as I can tell, the damn thing isn't even being released in Australia. :(

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Don't go into ST games. They're no good IMO. IG2 is good, but have you played Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords? Though it's more like IG2.
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
have you played Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords?
Yep, bought the game but campaign sucked IMHO and I'm not much into playing skirmishes without Greater Purpose(tm), so I ended up abandoning the game after a few days.

Offline Shade

Don't go into ST games. They're no good IMO.
In all other cases I would agree 100% with this, but Starfleet Command 2 & 3 (Yeah, Starfleet Command, not Fleet Command as I posted earlier... I remembered wrong) are actually not bad at all. Main reason is that they're not games made at a whim to capitalize on a license. They are games made based on a system developed for a space-warfare board game, and since that board game also includes ST vessels, that was a good choice to get the computer game some attention. It would work regardless of what the ships used were called or looked like.

I do prefer 2 over 3 though, as that has a lot more complexity and choice as far as ship classes go, while 3 was somewhat simplified and mostly includes just ships seen on-screen at some point. Can't argue with the price on ST:FC3 though, just check HOTU, so it's worth a look because it's free if nothing else.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
starfleet command 3 + dominnion wars mod rocked untill the point of the relese when prices got ****ed up ingame

im "getting" sots, hope its worth it
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 01:58:18 am by Ashrak »
I hate My signature!

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
it appears SOTS has no campaign and no storyline ?!!? wth

yep no campaign, this game just dropped from 9/10 to 1/10 for me :/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:09:34 am by Ashrak »
I hate My signature!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

Really? You're kidding! Is it just scenarios, skirmish and multiplayer?

Phah! I still want it!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:38:33 am by Mefustae »

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
SOTS has a campaign (custom game) same as Civilization or MOO has. And a bunch of scenarios that are basically like the custom games but with a few added and objectives rules.

Anyway. Good thing about SOTS is the combat. And that's it. The game has been simplified to the extend that it doesn't feel like a 4X game. It feels like a space fleet battle simulator. The goal of the game is to conguer. And to achive that you have to kill everyone. And to achive that you just have push, blitz, crush and grind. In theory you could ally yourself with someone, if only they weren't so genocidal.

The game just gets so repetitive after a while. If Kerberos had just add decent diplomacy, the game would be great. Now it's just damn fun space battles.

A disappointment for a strategy gamer like me. I'll give it a score of 7/10...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs

Really? You're kidding! Is it just scenarios, skirmish and multiplayer?

yahaa :/

and the space battles arent so exciting either, empire at war was even better :/ here you cant deploy more than 6 ships on a battlefield and you cant pick what reenforcements are next, the graphics isnt so good either
I hate My signature!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
and the space battles arent so exciting either, empire at war was even better :/ here you cant deploy more than 6 ships on a battlefield and you cant pick what reenforcements are next, the graphics isnt so good either
One, the graphics are actually quite good, anyone can see that. Two, you can have over 14 ships in any given battle, and control which ship comes next, if you have the patience to research and build a Command and Control vessel. You seem to be lacking in that respect, so it's no wonder you dislike the game. :rolleyes:

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i guess i didnt play it long enough :p
I hate My signature!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

For the record I've had over 50 ships in one battle (Command Dreadnaught, destroyers) and you have full control over the reinforcement queues.

Generally battles are going to be between about a dozen or so ships per side, and you can have very large multi-side skirmishes too.

SotS is really designed for good multiplayer matches though, the pacing is perfect for some great online slugfests.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Generally battles are going to be between about a dozen or so ships per side, and you can have very large multi-side skirmishes too.
You can have more that two sides fighting at once? Oh man, that'd be awesome. Allying yourself with another player and jointly attacking a mutual enemy's heavily fortified homeworld... awesome...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
first you need to grind tech (READ POINT DEFENCE LASERS) and blasters or beamcannons :p
I hate My signature!