Author Topic: It's fun, it's addictive, it's got a weird name...  (Read 4256 times)

It's fun, it's addictive, it's got a weird name...
It's Fraxy!

Essentially a top-down shooter, this is a freeware game of Japanese design which has you fighting constant bosses. The really cool thing about it is the fact that you can create your own bosses for it, which can make for some... interesting encounters. You can also download bosses made by other people, although the prevailing method of doing so as far as I can tell is to PM them on Youtube. There isn't really a big database of Fraxy bosses... too bad. I lied.

Controls are interesting. They take some getting used to, but are quite versatile. Your ship always points at your mouse, while the arrow keys move the ship. Movement is completely independent of aiming. Right mouse boosts, while left mouse fires. I reccomend playing it in full-screen since your ship will stop aiming if your mouse goes out of the window.

Anyway: though the game is made in Japanese (indeed, the site is entirely in Japanese), the creator kindly included an English translation... although he got the translation by means of Babelfish, it seems. Nevertheless, it is at least understandable Engrish.

Sound is turned off by default (why I don't know), and you must supply your own music. With the right music this can become quite epic. Big boss + intense music = awesomeness.

Site is here.
Videos of the game are available here.

I've been having hours of fun with this. Maybe once I learn how to build bosses I could stick some Freespace designs in there, how's that sound?  ;7
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:50:11 am by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Re: It's fun, it's addictive, it's got a weird name...
So, this is like Warning Forever?

I've never played Warning Forever, but I have heard this compared to it, yes.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I made a fairly large boss that has a main, armored core, and eight rotating sections in the periphery.  It looks vaguely like a knossos portal.  The rotating sections don't have cores, so they don't have to all be destroyed to beat the boss.  However, they carry a good deal of firepower (firing from out of the screen in every direction - you can't attack the boss from outside the entrapped arena).  Also, there are eight invulnerable shield blocks rotating around the main core section, rendering it immune to all damage.  Destroy a rotating part, and the corresponding shielding block around the core also explodes.

I got carried away in my own **** yet again...  I'll make it up to you by uploading the boss when I find the time.  Hopefully, this will spur on more people to upload their creations.

I made a couple things too. I was in kind of a "Sonic the Hedgehog" mood... so I made some Chaos Emeralds. For my first try at a ship, they're actually not half-bad. I'll upload them too if anyone's interested.

I also put seven Emeralds together into a monstrosity I call "Chaos Control", which I'm not as satisfied with, but still works well enough.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
"It's fun, it's addictive, it's got a weird name..."
hmm... sounds like something somone tried to sell me the other day.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Court of the Star Chamber
I made a fairly large boss that has a main, armored core, and eight rotating sections in the periphery.  It looks vaguely like a knossos portal.  The rotating sections don't have cores, so they don't have to all be destroyed to beat the boss.  However, they carry a good deal of firepower (firing from out of the screen in every direction - you can't attack the boss from outside the entrapped arena).  Also, there are eight invulnerable shield blocks rotating around the main core section, rendering it immune to all damage.  Destroy a rotating part, and the corresponding shielding block around the core also explodes.

It got its name because once you're in, you're gonna die.

Edit: image removed because it is outdated.  Just think of a knossos portal with an inner core and you will get something like this boss.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:59:18 pm by Dark RevenantX »

****ed thing wouldn't stop spinning around long enough for me to shoot it!  :p

I'll upload the Chaos Emerald and the current version of Chaos Control.

As to the latter, I want to have the seven emeralds become drones after the main core goes boom, but I am unsure of how to do that... in any case it makes the structure as a whole less fragile.

Also, I was a bit lazy in building the Emeralds... so they're much... weaker than I wish. I plan to fix that sometime.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
You're just not good enough then if you can't hit it :p

Just use boost a lot and you will be fine.  Just watch out for bullets and homing lasers.

Well... my problem was that I was attacking it from the outside.

Killing it from the inside is easier, but I have to ask: how much HP does that central core have!?

My god, I was sitting there shooting at it for about ten minutes straight before it went up in flames! My ship was maxed out, too! Yeesh! :hopping:

All that aside, it's very well designed, and takes me almost as long to kill as the Orbic series of bosses (that is saying something, mind you).

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I have edited my post with a less annoying version of CotSC, as the parts now rotate slower (they are closer together), there are now eight fewer homing lasers (the only four are on the large rotating sections (the ones with beam cannons)), and the core is 30,000 hit points weaker.  It used to be 80,000.  Now, it should be MUCH faster to kill if you blow up all the sections.  The problem you may have had is that you didn't destroy the four smaller quad-gun rotating things.  They house repair boxes, doubling the effective hit points of the core.  Even with the original 80,000 hit points on the core, it took me just a minute to blow it up when everything else was dead.  It's also worth it to kill the rotating sections, as each of them spawns a goody.  That's eight goodies you get before the boss is dead.  When it dies, you get TWO from the main core.  Comes to show just how difficult it is.

What should I attempt to create next?  Possibly a Deimos-class corvette...

P.S. Your larger ship has way too many homing lasers firing at once.  Make them fire quickly one-by-one, rather than all 20 at once, so that you actually have a chance to survive a wave.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sounds interesting... I'll get it when if I finish my French essay. :doubt:

P.S. Your larger ship has way too many homing lasers firing at once.  Make them fire quickly one-by-one, rather than all 20 at once, so that you actually have a chance to survive a wave.

Like I said, it's still a work-in-progress. I'll see what I can do.

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Wonderful.  Its Gradius Boss Rush Extreme!!

Offline Inquisitor

That looks pretty cool.
No signature.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
GTC Fenris

Obviously, this boss is easy to kill, but it is fairly true to the Freespace Fenris.  Try sending in four!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Very nice Fenris. I love how you added the blades at the AAA ports and the laser at the main beams.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Even at 160% size, the AAA beams aren't enough to really do damage to the player.  The main beam is hardly a danger, as well, seeing as it moves fairly slowly and is not very quick to respond to player movement.

Which freespace ship should I make next? (it can't be any bigger than an orion - trust me, fighting an orion destroyer in Fraxy would take a LONG time)

Edit: GTC Leviathan

Like the Fenris, but tougher, slower, and more liberally armed.

Edit: GTC Aeolus (I've been really bored...)

The Aeolus!  Coolest cruiser in all of Freespace.  The Fraxy version has a better positioning of weapons than the Fenris/Leviathan, a lot of durability, TWO fixed beam cannons, and a couple repair boxes near the engines just to make it harder to kill.  Watch out for the flak (multi-vulcan turrets).  Also, watch out for the sweeping AAA gun on the top.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:26:36 pm by Dark RevenantX »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Leviathan has way to much Hitpoints IMO...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I know.  Shooting the regeneration boxes on the left and right make it easier, though.