Author Topic: Pokemon Gen II remakes announced  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: Pokemon Gen II remakes announced
I haven't gotten into the professional training/breeding scene yet, but now that I'm champ in three generations I'll give it a shot. :)

Wow. Quite an achievement. I've only been champion in two generations. :nod:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Just finished a Wi-Fi match with jdjtCagle, lots of trading and trade-based-evolution. Two battles, first at Level 100 went to him, second at Level 50 went to me. Both excellent, close matches.

Cagle's lineup: Tyrantar, Golduck, Torterra, Gardevoir, Magmortar, Linoone (shiny!)

My lineup: Staraptor, Torterra, Blastoise, Rapidash, Luxray, Snorlax.

Anyone else up for some action?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Yes definitely lots of fun I have the video of the first match saved. Wish there was a way to upload it... (to youtube or something) I guess I can put it up on GTS

He whooped me on the second round though and probably the only reason I won the first was because of luck. Criticals, he either missed or I would somehow survive with 1-13 hp :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I really did enjoy fainting you with your own sandstorm. :D

Mobius sent me a PM, apparently he's been a collector since Gen 1. I've CC'd you on it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

While I'm a huge fan of the Pokemon games, I've never been into the competitive battling. Too much work.

I just don't think any of my teams would be able to compete with actual human players, is all.

*looks up teams*

Emerald: Blaziken, Gyarados (might replace with a Milotic, if I ever manage to catch a Feebas  :mad2:), Aggron, Gardevoir, and Castform. Sixth slot went to an HM slave, either Swellow or Wailord.
I'm well-aware that Castform is an odd choice; he was kind of an experiment. He's surprisingly powerful and well-rounded if used correctly.

My current Platinum team, none are fully evolved yet: Grotle (Torterra), Prinplup (Empoleon), Kirlia (Gallade), Houndour (Houndoom), Gabite (Garchomp), and Rotom (Freezer form).
Tough to train consistently though, since I have to keep switching one out for an HM slave. Very annoying.

I also have a partially-leveled up Jirachi on Ruby. Unsure of what to do with him... he'd be fun to use on a team.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline jdjtcagle

I really did enjoy fainting you with your own sandstorm. :D

Yeah well wait until I get my actual sandstorm team up and running. It will be epic just to avoid death from my own sandstorm! :p

Mobius sent me a PM, apparently he's been a collector since Gen 1. I've CC'd you on it.

Alright more players.  :yes:

While I'm a huge fan of the Pokemon games, I've never been into the competitive battling. Too much work.

I just don't think any of my teams would be able to compete with actual human players, is all.

*looks up teams*

Emerald: Blaziken, Gyarados (might replace with a Milotic, if I ever manage to catch a Feebas  :mad2:), Aggron, Gardevoir, and Castform. Sixth slot went to an HM slave, either Swellow or Wailord.
I'm well-aware that Castform is an odd choice; he was kind of an experiment. He's surprisingly powerful and well-rounded if used correctly.

My current Platinum team, none are fully evolved yet: Grotle (Torterra), Prinplup (Empoleon), Kirlia (Gallade), Houndour (Houndoom), Gabite (Garchomp), and Rotom (Freezer form).
Tough to train consistently though, since I have to keep switching one out for an HM slave. Very annoying.

I also have a partially-leveled up Jirachi on Ruby. Unsure of what to do with him... he'd be fun to use on a team.

Hey man if you need help deciding moves or roles check out http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

Jirachi makes a great lead IIRC and they also go into detail about great counters for Jirachi so you can know you enemy. ;)
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about mine either--I wouldn't want to go head-to-head with a pro, after all--but despite my not being picky about breeding or natures, I managed to do pretty well vs Cagle. Give it a shot. :)

I use a Blaziken and Agron, too, but I love my Sableye and wouldn't trade him for anyone else. Swalot, Breloom and Linoone round out the team. He's got Surf and Blizzard which makes him effective against Fire, Flying, Grass, Ground, Rock, and Dragon types while only being vulnerable to Fighting-type attacks. If I had more TMs, I would experiment more with Normal-types. Maybe when I earn my Regigigas.

Jirachi? Sweet! I don't have any event pkmn. Where'd you find him?

Pokemon Colosseum Pre-Order bonus.

The bonus disc had the option to download a Jirachi into a Ruby/Sapphire cartridge (I don't know if it works with Emerald). Since I was just starting Ruby, I thought, "This'll be cool." and played partway through the game... I don't think I ever finished that game though.

It's the only event Pokemon I have. I did have a Celebi on the Gen II games, which I got in a trade from a friend, who claimed it was legit, but who knows.  I don't count it, since I can't transfer it to later generations and that cartridge battery has probably died and erased my game by now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:01:59 am by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
It seems that VGCats isn't dead, yet. And, I must say, that comic almost makes it worth tolerating the awful fandom that surrounds that... universe. Almost.

Offline jdjtcagle

:lol: :lol:
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Eh, it still hasn't been updated yet this week. :doubt:

I'll probably be up for some competitive battling at some point. I'm a bit gutted at how nintendo wifi works, though - I wish it was a global lobby and you could just battle/trade anyone online.

Probably going to get beaten hard, though. I still stick to my Gen 1 tactics of a really beefy Vaporeon and a spec sweeper (For which I use Gardevoir, despite being told that's a bad idea).

The rest are just counters.

Offline jdjtcagle

Gardevoir really got help in generation IV it's an excellent wish support especially with trace.  You could switch into many overused pokemon that use electric motor, water absorb, or even intimidate.  :)

That's something that Alakazam can't claim.
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Bah. Finally made my way through the Battle Frontier only to find that it doesn't update your Pokedex. Now how the heck am I supposed to get the rest of my starters? I have Squirtles and Torchicks to trade, but I can't request anything I haven't registered in my Dex.

Offline jdjtcagle

Well you know I don't have anything you don't.... actually scratch that. I forgot I have mudkips if you want one :)
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
i liek mudkipz

Offline jdjtcagle

:eek2:

:D
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I'll definitely be picking this up when it's out. Ruby/Sapphire left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't tried Diamond/Pearl yet. But Gold/Silver were amazing.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned but when the protagonist forces some enslaved critter, servant what have you to fight for him, it doesn't seem particullarly heroic or decent.  More to the point I might be missing something but I don't see much difference between concept of this and dogfighting, cockfighting or whatever blood sport involving forced opponents.

I suppose this isn't the best place to write scathing critiques of a subject matter but I was generally curious if someone could explain the draw of this franchise and its derivates.  From an outsider's perspective it doesn't appear to be rife with redeeming qualities.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline jdjtcagle

I suppose this isn't the best place to write scathing critiques of a subject matter but I was generally curious if someone could explain the draw of this franchise and its derivates.  From an outsider's perspective it doesn't appear to be rife with redeeming qualities.

Honestly it's the strategy for me.  I love the strategy.  The story? come on...  Call me old fashioned :-D but I like mario for the gameplay not the story. ;)

It is a very cruel concept at heart but has a naive and rather mystical approach to the whole experience.  Kind of like a utopia heroic mindset of the man and nature take on the evil's of the world together and at the same time for the glory on oneself and pride.

^has no idea if that is remotely true but.... ....I really don't pay that much attention it's purely the fun of it for me.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:40:35 pm by jdjtcagle »
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years