Author Topic: Crysis 2 singleplayer trailers  (Read 5020 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:06:17 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Crysis 2 singleplayer trailers
First is totally prerender quality and the actual game isn't going to look like that on any computer. It may not even be actual SP. The second appears to be real.

Crysis 2 was leaked several weeks before release and is apparently a massive steaming pile of doodoo in single with linear CoD4 gameplay. I see nothing here to revise that diagnosis.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Why would a liner single-player be a pile of doo?

Crysis 1 single player is linear (always the same goals, altough you can approach them in different ways) and it's awesome.

What I am concerned is the fight agasint humans ..during a friggin alien invasion...WTF????

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Crysis 1 single player is linear (always the same goals, altough you can approach them in different ways) and it's awesome.

It wasn't truly linear in the fashion that, say, Halo was. It wasn't fully open-world sandbox-y but Crysis still provided meaningful alternatives on methods to complete your objectives and a game world large enough to explore, circle your opponents, look for openings, exploit weaknesses and patrol pathing and so on. Even inside the alien base you were provided with hideyholes and alternate paths that let you avoid combat if used properly, or large amounts of open space to maneuver in.

As far as I've been able to determine from commentary on the leaked version, Crysis 2 is more or less WW1 going over the top and straight ahead while wearing a nanosuit. The gameplay footage, somewhat insidiously, seems to bear this out by presenting most of the action in relatively confined streets or inside buildings.

This doesn't mean it'll be a bad game (although the conspiracy theorist plot makes me want to murder kittens), but it does mean it's not going to be the successor to Crysis it was advertised as.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm still wondering a few years later why anyone really cared about Crysis other than "ZOMG AWESOME GRAPHIX BENCHMARK TEST" in the first place. :p

It wasn't truly linear in the fashion that, say, Halo was. It wasn't fully open-world sandbox-y but Crysis still provided meaningful alternatives on methods to complete your objectives and a game world large enough to explore, circle your opponents, look for openings, exploit weaknesses and patrol pathing and so on. Even inside the alien base you were provided with hideyholes and alternate paths that let you avoid combat if used properly, or large amounts of open space to maneuver in.

As far as I've been able to determine from commentary on the leaked version, Crysis 2 is more or less WW1 going over the top and straight ahead while wearing a nanosuit. The gameplay footage, somewhat insidiously, seems to bear this out by presenting most of the action in relatively confined streets or inside buildings.

This doesn't mean it'll be a bad game (although the conspiracy theorist plot makes me want to murder kittens), but it does mean it's not going to be the successor to Crysis it was advertised as.

But then again, it was going that way since Warhead. Which was awesome by the way.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
We'll have to see.

I love the lush nature of the original Crysis.

Hope that all of C2 won't be in NY. And I wonder just how much freedom we will have to move around.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:23:20 am by TrashMan »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
But then again, it was going that way since Warhead. Which was awesome by the way.

Warhead was much more tightly plotted and polished then Crysis, and it still offered a good degree of alternate methods. This does not appear to.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You guys are all retarded, this game is clearly going to be excellent because ****ing Peter Watts and ****ing Richard Morgan wrote it. I don't care if it's a space invaders clone gameplay-wise, it's a must buy.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
This game is going to have a good modding scene.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This game is going to have a good modding scene.

True fact. The editor is apparently godtier.

Offline Kolgena

I'm really looking forward to a port of the Crysis 1 levels into Crysis 2. Or at least, some usable code from Cryengine3 into Cryengine2, since the first option seems somewhat illegal. (Can't release copyrighted content, ie the levels, as a mod)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think either engine has its source code released so I doubt that's feasible.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Looks good - it's Crysis, it's GOING to look good.

I'm not sure I like the implication on the function of the nanosuits.  We knew there had to be some kind of implant that allowed the suit to monitor life functions.  But to listen to Prophet, the suit compromises the life functions of the wearer, essentially killing them should they take it off.  Which makes it a death sentence to put it on.  So where does the suit end and the man begin?

Lastly, this post-human BS is going to get old fast. cybernetics are still in their infancy.  We are barely able to replace damaged or missing limbs with barely functional chunks of plastic, much less have fully functional fine manipulation.  The idea that in 20 years we could build something that not only doesn't impede the wearer as current armor does, but actually turns them into a Super Soldier ala Captain America is, well I was going to say ludicrous, but since there is a definite possibility that it MIGHT happen, I'll say silly instead.

If you gave the average man on the street the option of replacing parts of his body with better, but robotic parts, 90% of them would turn you down flat.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well that's why it's a game then, innit? :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Lastly, this post-human BS is going to get old fast. cybernetics are still in their infancy.  We are barely able to replace damaged or missing limbs with barely functional chunks of plastic, much less have fully functional fine manipulation.  The idea that in 20 years we could build something that not only doesn't impede the wearer as current armor does, but actually turns them into a Super Soldier ala Captain America is, well I was going to say ludicrous, but since there is a definite possibility that it MIGHT happen, I'll say silly instead.

The idea that there are cold aliens buried under the surface of the Earth is pretty ludicrous too, but it allows us to tell a good story.

If you gave the average man on the street the option of replacing parts of his body with better, but robotic parts, 90% of them would turn you down flat.

That's the whole point. The nanosuits weren't (by Crysis 1) meant to be more than combat-enhancing equipment. It appears that the designer, however, had another agenda. Going off Prophet's anger these soldiers weren't given a choice - they were reengineered to fight the Ceph involuntarily.

Offline Kolgena

I don't think either engine has its source code released so I doubt that's feasible.

I'll settle for at least the shaders then :P

Does anyone know what kind of DRM Crysis 2 will be using?  If it is the same limited-activations/SecuROM bullcrap Crysis 1 had I won't be playing it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Luis Dias

True fact. The editor is apparently godtier.

Sigh... if only there was an architectural application as godly as Crysis is... I mean look at it. We can change the world and its "decorations" with so much ease and it renders it real time with so much quality... why are we stuck in the nineties while gaming industry is so great? Why do archictetural 3d apps cost 900 bucks upward, and are so lame, while Crysis is so full of win and is a mere 60 bucks? (yeah yeah I know economies of scale, and so on and so on)

There's clearly an opportunity here waiting to happen... I hope.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm not sure I like the implication on the function of the nanosuits.  We knew there had to be some kind of implant that allowed the suit to monitor life functions.  But to listen to Prophet, the suit compromises the life functions of the wearer, essentially killing them should they take it off.  Which makes it a death sentence to put it on.  So where does the suit end and the man begin?

I'm still not convinced that's totally how it works. It's a valid interpretation, true, but I'm holding out for the non-conspiracy storyline because government conspiracies make me want to kill kittens.

There's precedent from Crysis for environments where only nanosuited troops can function. With large portions of the world under Ceph control Prophet may not have a choice in the matter; he can fight and get resupply or he can run out of nanosuit doohickeys and die.

A Feddie Story