Author Topic: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)  (Read 213111 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
turey, you should use my OGG-VP files for your installer. It will help keep things look less cluttered in the root dir.

Open Installer doesn't put them in the root dir anyways. But we'll see, when I have the time. finals are almost here.

Can I also delete the folders named "temp" and "Install"?

Temp, yes, install, only if you don't want the updater to work.

Untill a (real) Windows installer/updater comes up
What's that supposed to mean?

(I also didn't particulalry like the installer, prompting me every time even when I didn't particularly need the add-on)
Which add-ons?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline sfried

Can I also delete the folders named "temp" and "Install"?

Temp, yes, install, only if you don't want the updater to work.

Untill a (real) Windows installer/updater comes up
What's that supposed to mean?

(I also didn't particulalry like the installer, prompting me every time even when I didn't particularly need the add-on)
Which add-ons?

Add-ons like Direlect and other things which I particularly didn't care about/don't have. At least it gave me the benefit of playing the FS2 demo missions, but aside from that...

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I've found a solution to FSOpen not running properly under OpenGL in Vista w/ ATI Catalyst drivers:

First of all, Vista doesn't support OpenGL versions higher than 1.1, and the newest Vista BETA version for ATI Catalyst doesn't include OpenGL.  So you'll need to install the appropriate XP Catalyst driver (32 or 64bit).  Now Vista doesn't let you do this and will give you crap about not being an administrator, etc.  Ignore that.

Then, delete all ATI Catalyst drivers under Add/Remove Drivers, restart, and manually install the XP Catalyst drivers under Device Manager.  Then everything should be fine after that.

Just one n00b pregunta. Are MVE movies still supported or is it strictly OGG now?

Edit: Oh, and I also forgot to ask, does it still have the hi-res shockwave? I no longer have a problem with it now because I reinstalled to my main hard drive, so I would like to have the high quality version still.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:30:53 pm by MiniSiets »

Yes, mve's still work.  ;)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I don't want to seem rude... but are there any estimates as to when the Linux 3.6.9 will be available?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
are there any estimates as to when the Linux 3.6.9 will be available?
Yes, but I've missed them all. ;)

Sar far I have no big emergencies to deal with this weekend though, so hopefully that will give me enough time to get the 32-bit builds finizalized and tested.  Then I'll finally be able to upload everything (both the 3.6.9 Linux versions, 32 & 64-bit, and also the WCS Prologue Linux installer).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Add-ons like Direlect and other things which I particularly didn't care about/don't have. At least it gave me the benefit of playing the FS2 demo missions, but aside from that...

The whole point of asking you is to let you decide if you care about it/want it.  It wouldn't make much sense to ask you if you already have it would it?  And it won't, if you install with his installer and then use his updater, unless there's an update.  Just give it time eh?  This is probably about as real as you're going to get for a while.  Either way, I wouldn't just go around saying you don't like it, because something you don't like could very easily change within the day, even the hour sometimes.  It's not like it's a static project.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Edit: Oh, and I also forgot to ask, does it still have the hi-res shockwave?

The shockwaves are a media VP issue not a code one. If you use 3.6.8 VPs then yes it has them. If you use 3.6.9 Official VPs (When they are released cause they aren't out yet) it won't.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Vista doesn't support OpenGL versions higher than 1.1

Is there a reference or something for that?  WTF is M$ smoking?  Do you mean with the native Vista ATI drivers, or just simply not at all, and it's impossible to support anything higher?

Also, the OpenAL linked in the first post is 1.9.3, and there's a 1.9.9 on the OpenAL website.  Any reason we're linking an old version?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kaine

Is there a reference or something for that?  WTF is M$ smoking?

Money. By forcing older versions of OpenGL they think they can force developers into using DX10 or whatever they call it. i wouldn't worry too much, someone will break their **** pretty shortly after Vista comes out and get rid of all the stupid **** they have put in it.

I too had heard this, but a quick google found out that OpenGL will be alive and well.

More interesting to me, (in light of taylor's upcoming optimizations) was this video discussing the coding of effects for mobile phones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5An-4sz1s

These effects look pretty good given the constraints of a phone and it bodes well for the future on regular machines.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Vista supports a minimum of OpenGL 1.4.  If it reports a version lower than that this it's a problem with your graphics card drivers, not with Vista.  Older versions of Windows did have OpenGL 1.1 only, but that was always supplanted by the ICDs that video card makers created and included with their drivers.  This 1.1 version of OpenGL was software accelerated only, but in Vista the default OpenGL version is actually a wrapper around DX10.  It's not as full featured as OpenGL itself, but it should work a lot better for people that don't have a good video card, and it's even hardware accelerated through DX10.

Most people will just be using an ICD though, a full version of OpenGL provided by their video cards.  Newer stuff from Intel, AMD/ATI cards, and obviously NVIDIA cards, will be providing an ICD in their drivers so that you can have proper, full OpenGL support.

It's not a great situation overall, but it's considerably better than things used to be.  Microsoft may have actually managed to do something a little strange and uncharacteristic here, "a good thing". :)

Indeed, the OpenGL desktop may be faster than the DX version?

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34586

Hello,

I am in the process of installing all of this. But when I was done and was trying to find a place to put the movie files, I didn't find a data/movies folder. Do I just make one and put them there?

Thanks

I've been flamed for saying so, but they work there for me. You can create the folder and put them there, or just put them in the root (C:\Games\FreeSpace2).

Offline neoterran

Indeed, the OpenGL desktop may be faster than the DX version?

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34586

There is no opengl aeroglass vista desktop, that's misleading from neowin, and it's really old, back in august. aeroglass uses and requires Direct X only.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

They're saying what taylor said, that they'll be using a standard Windows installable client driver (ICD).

Not that OpenGl will be used instead of DirectX.

Offline sfried

So, are the OpenGL fixes going to be on the next release? (i.e. 3.7.0) Or might it come sooner than that?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
So, are the OpenGL fixes going to be on the next release? (i.e. 3.7.0) Or might it come sooner than that?
Some will begin showing up in test builds starting next month.  Those will all most likely end up in 3.6.10.  Those changes will be fixes for compatibility issues, a few new features (such as normal mapping), better texture handling, some minor texture quality and performance improvements, and reduced memory footprint.

Everything else, the much larger changes, will get held over for 3.7.