Author Topic: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)  (Read 213107 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... over a year after the last semi-official release and six months after the code freeze began... it's the OFFICIAL fs2_open v3.6.9 release thread™! :D

If you are just getting started with the SCP, try this before exploring the rest of this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open

Without further ado, here are the links:
The über Windows pack, containing FS2, FRED, and the Launcher
The Mac OS X universal binary
Linux installer for x86/x86_64 builds
OpenAL is required, if you don't have it installed already.

EDIT: These links are all dead. :(  A new Windows build has been uploaded at http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_6_9.zip

Turey's Installer has also been updated.  If you want a quick, easy, and trouble-free method of installing mods, upgrades, and enhancements to FS2, it's worth checking out.

Also, here are the FS2 cutscenes, freshly recompressed in the newly-supported OGG Theora movie format:
Introduction
GTVA Colossus
Bosch Monologue 1
Bosch Monologue 2
Bosch Monologue 3
Bosch Monologue 4
Bastion Dies
End Game, part 1
End Game, part 2A (player survives)
End Game, part 2B (player dies)

If you find a bug, please report it using Mantis.  Please be sure to follow the bug reporting guidelines posted here.

Old 3.6.7 thread
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:46:27 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
Installer has been updated to include 3.6.9 Final, as well as the .OGG movies.

oh, and stop reusing your posts Goob. :P  ;)
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Great news!!!. 

Now for the questions.  Does this release have the new pilot code and FS2NetD changes as well?  How about the standalone fixes?  I'd give them a try but it's 12:30am  2007 here and well believe it or not I've been drinking heavily.

Oh and can we get that 3.7 release date.  (Ducks) J/K
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
yay!  now we can get all that crazy graphics stuff into the code!

and we get to make normal maps for every single fs2 ship

*is somewhat less enthusiastic*...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now for the questions.  Does this release have the new pilot code and FS2NetD changes as well?  How about the standalone fixes?  I'd give them a try but it's 12:30am  2007 here and well believe it or not I've been drinking heavily.

The new pilot code won't be along till the next big release (3.7 most likely). Any standalone fixes that are needed will be along sooner.

And why is this thread not stickied? :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:25:31 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk

The new pilot code won't be along till the next big release (3.7 most likely). Any standalone fixes that are needed will be along sooner.

Good to hear the standalone is being worked on.  Put 2 servers up tonight but they still error everytime.  If you want to crash a bit you are welcome to try them.

And why is this thread not stickied? :)

No one has spilled anything on it yet.   :D
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
For anyone that has already downloaded, please download it again.  There was a build mistake and all of the correct files/changes didn't get included in the original EXEs.   ::)

Offline ShivanSpS

Just 2 questions.

1) You need to have an extra codec to play the .ogg movies or is just like the MVE ?

2) The .ogg movies are much smaller than .mve ones?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
1) You need to have an extra codec to play the .ogg movies or is just like the MVE ?
It's built into the game, like MVE support is, so you don't need anything extra.  AVI and MPG support will be removed from all future builds too, 3.6.9 was the last to have it.

2) The .ogg movies are much smaller than .mve ones?
They should be comparable in size to the AVI movies.  Some of them will be smaller than their AVI counterparts, others will be larger.  For the FS1 and FS2 movies that I made though, even having quality over size as the primary goal, the overall size of the movies is less than the AVI versions.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Congrats for your release guys. Keep up your excellent work  :yes:   And thanks for the big support you give us hosted projects :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline rms

They should be comparable in size to the AVI movies.  Some of them will be smaller than their AVI counterparts, others will be larger.  For the FS1 and FS2 movies that I made though, even having quality over size as the primary goal, the overall size of the movies is less than the AVI versions.

It seemed to me that the sound on the FS1 intro has less static with the ogg version than the mve version, so good work.  Also, can you make oggs for the FS:ST movies?

rms

Offline miskat

Thumbs up everyone.   :yes:

*is now just waiting on ST:R*  XD

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
For anyone that has already downloaded, please download it again.  There was a build mistake and all of the correct files/changes didn't get included in the original EXEs.   ::)

Installer fixed.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
It seemed to me that the sound on the FS1 intro has less static with the ogg version than the mve version, so good work.
I mainly just enhanced the video a little bit (particularly on the FS2 movies).  I had really wanted to switch the FS1 intro audio to the high quality version that Nix has posted.  Unfortunately it's timing was a little different and I never could get the a/v sync correct, particularly in the first 10-15 seconds of the movie.  Maybe someone good with audio stuff will volunteer to help me out there and I can redo the movie with truely good audio. :D

Also, can you make oggs for the FS:ST movies?
Sure.  I guess that you are just talking about the extras on the ST disc, right?  The AVI ones?

If it's something else then you'll need to get me a link or something.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
we really oughtta re-render those movies.  has this been discussed?

i have a feeling this community could make em so much cooler, especially with modern equipment and our superior models.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Is there a list of changes or a you should know list for this version?  Things like does it work with older builds?  Changes since last version.  Etc. 

Offline miskat

Or do like Nix did and get the pre-render files for the movies and then render them with a higher quality render and a better compresion.  That alone should get higher quality while keeping it "authentic."

Wonder if  :v: has those project files still?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Or do like Nix did and get the pre-render files for the movies and then render them with a higher quality render and a better compresion.  That alone should get higher quality while keeping it "authentic."

Wonder if  :v: has those project files still?

Didn't :v: contract those out to a third party?

Offline miskat

Hell, you know better than I.  =)

It'd be a mighty shame.  Wonder who the third party was?

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Have the framerate-stuttering shockwaves been fixed?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes