Author Topic: Duke nuke'd ze voor eeuwig. Sucks. (Or I just don't get it)  (Read 10428 times)

Re: Duke nuke'd ze voor eeuwig. Sucks. (Or I just don't get it)
Oh, I'd certainly buy it and play out of curiousity, but anyone expecting the game to look like it spent over a decade in development will probably only be vindicated in the fact that I suspect in places, it will look 10 years out of date.

Hmm. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. spend a lot of time in development too. That game was quite fresh and very good. But that had atleast original ideas. This jus tlooks like serious sam but more boring. Much more boring.

Oh, I'd certainly buy it and play out of curiousity, but anyone expecting the game to look like it spent over a decade in development will probably only be vindicated in the fact that I suspect in places, it will look 10 years out of date.

Hmm. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. spend a lot of time in development too. That game was quite fresh and very good. But that had atleast original ideas. This jus tlooks like serious sam but more boring. Much more boring.

Are you on crack buddy? Duke Nukem 3D pre-dates serious sam by like 5 years. If anything Serious Sam is a rip off of Duke.
If it doesn't interest you that's fine though, you can go play Call of Duty or whatever.

Are you on crack buddy? Duke Nukem 3D pre-dates serious sam by like 5 years. If anything Serious Sam is a rip off of Duke.
If it doesn't interest you that's fine though, you can go play Call of Duty or whatever.

But this isn't duke nukem 3d, this is FOREVER. Like. The Sequel.

But then again, if it's the nostalgia feel that makes this special, I am most likely missing out on that. Perhaps that is why I don't like it.

You just don't get it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I am fairly sure this game has been consolized, as has been mentioned. I mean, all the clues aside, they demoed the console version first. That's a bad sign.

What's wrong with that?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't want the Duke to have a two-weapon carry limit and regenerative health.  :sigh:

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I don't want the Duke to have a two-weapon carry limit and regenerative health.  :sigh:
it's not health, its EGO!!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
it's not health, its EGO!!

and the difference is?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

The difference is medkits are for the weak.  Duke Nukem can heal his wounds through sheer macho willpower.  Really, do you want someone as awesome as Duke Nukem to have to stoop to grabbing bandages?  I just hope that ego regenerates slowly in a non-CoD manner and things like alcohol, tipping strippers, blowjobs, and drinking from smashed water pipes makes it regenerate faster.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The difference is medkits are for the weak.  Duke Nukem can heal his wounds through sheer macho willpower.  Really, do you want someone as awesome as Duke Nukem to have to stoop to grabbing bandages?  I just hope that ego regenerates slowly in a non-CoD manner and things like alcohol, tipping strippers, blowjobs, and drinking from smashed water pipes makes it regenerate faster.

can I recommend halo???
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
'Ego' sounds like it could be interesting, but instead, it appears to just be some kind of regenerating health bar CoD-style, complete with (if I'm remembering right) a red ring around your vision when you're damaged.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

can I recommend halo???
Master Chief<Duke Nukem

Offline Mika

I am fairly sure this game has been consolized, as has been mentioned. I mean, all the clues aside, they demoed the console version first. That's a bad sign.

From what I have read, it's not the console version. It's the PC version demoed with an XBOX controller. The rationale behind was said to be that they don't want people messing with keyboard configuration when there is limited time to play.

If the Ego regenerated by doing stuff Duke likes, it would be fine and great. However, plain regenerative health doesn't really fit to Duke. I'm still not sure which one it is. The original reason Halo has it is that the controller doesn't have enough buttons to map medkits nicely in there. The other factor is gameplay. Instead of a long and sometimes contrived medkit hunt, one could continue much faster with just a short pause. I personally don't like regenerative health, but if it worked like Ego I wouldn't have problems.

The two weapon limit is because of the console controllers don't have enough buttons to map for each weapon to make weapon change nice and quick. Luckily, I hope, this will be the first thing to be removed from PC version by modders. Jace Hall material shows that they also had a version without limits, but the decision is by 3DRealms and not Gearbox.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm still not sure which one it is. The original reason Halo has it is that the controller doesn't have enough buttons to map medkits nicely in there.

Halo actually does have medkits. I'm betting the recharging health mechanic dates back to when it was a PC/Mac title anyway.

Offline Mika

Halo actually does have medkits. I'm betting the recharging health mechanic dates back to when it was a PC/Mac title anyway.

:lol: Yes I never played Halo but I was sure it started this. Weird. This seems an interesting topic to research; who did first regenerative health and why? By the way, does that apply to Halo 2, Halo 3 or Halo:Reach?

Personally I don't like modern shooters, too many gimmicky game play elements that aren't fun at all. Cover based shooting, vehicle sections (can be good if done well, but really means well) regenerative health, aiming assist and sprint limits. Weapon limits are OK if they make sense in the term of the game, i.e. I don't complain about them in Ghost Recon. I have ranted formerly about the stupidity of grenade based stuff on "Realistic" shooters, I'm yet to see a grenade throw into a building from the front door or from the window without needing to show myself at the door hole.

For me, Painkiller seems to be the best thing that has came out for a long time - game play wise or level design wise. I haven't played Unreal Tournaments though, but from what I have seen, I'm not that much into RPG wars.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

:lol: Yes I never played Halo but I was sure it started this. Weird. This seems an interesting topic to research; who did first regenerative health and why?

Well Halo DID have regenerating health, it just also had medkits. Your shields would regenerate but your health (under the shields) wouldn't in. In Halo 2 and 3, you have separate shield and health, but they both regenerate (the shields somewhat faster.) In Reach you have a distinct, visible health bar that regenerates, but only up to certain percentages.

I actually think regenerative health is generally a great thing. It makes more sense than suffering multiple bullet wounds and then magically healing them, and when you have a narrative device like recharging energy shields that justifies it, I'm cool with it. But I'm tired of the 'red ring around vision, heavy breathing' approach to health, and I'm tired of characters who have like 10 HP (looking at you Call of Duty). And unlimited sprint would be better.

:lol: Yes I never played Halo but I was sure it started this. Weird. This seems an interesting topic to research; who did first regenerative health and why?

Well Halo DID have regenerating health, it just also had medkits. Your shields would regenerate but your health (under the shields) wouldn't in. In Halo 2 and 3, you have separate shield and health, but they both regenerate (the shields somewhat faster.) In Reach you have a distinct, visible health bar that regenerates, but only up to certain percentages.

You forgot ODST where health doesn't so far as I know regenerate (except perhaps to some bare minimum) and basically you have to find first aid stations randomnly placed in the streets for no real reason.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

You forgot ODST where health doesn't so far as I know regenerate (except perhaps to some bare minimum) and basically you have to find first aid stations randomnly placed in the streets for no real reason.
don't you know, that's how socialized healthcare works, medkits are distributed by gov't in random-ass areas.
also, I think i herd doing the dook things gets ego back, but some of it can regenerated hiding behind 'cover' like a 'pussy'