Author Topic: Re: Joining The Diaspora Team  (Read 15478 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
So you've seen the screenshots
<Insert Question Mark Here>
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Will the Diaspora codebase be fully integrated within FS2_Open?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yes. After maintaining the complete PITA that was the BtRL build I have no desire to go though that nonsense again. Either we'll use 3.6.10 official for our first release or we'll use the branch belonging to one of our coders (mine or Wanderer's most likely).

Either way all our code will be compatible with FS2_Open and will be folded into the main branch as soon as possible.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
If you don't mind my asking, what sort of things are you expecting to do (or have done already) with the code?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
No offence to anyone on the bsg team, but to be honest, i hate you guys. Simply for the virtue of being a "servitor" to the current SF "series" of the moment.

My reasons for this? Simple. Other mods with various backgrounds wont be able to get anything even remotely related to skilled people since everyone will be going for the "shiny new series"...

That and some mods might lose staff due to this mod. Its all fine and dandy, the btrl demo was nicely done and nicely playable. BUT OTHER TEAMS NEED SOMEONE TO DO THINGS TOO.

For example The Apocalypse Project. I have been trying to recruit modellers and in the last 11 months i have managed to get one person onboard and even he probably wont be able to deliver anything. My team has made more progress in the last 11 months than all the teams since the project began, yet... we still dont even have enough material for the demo due to more "popular" projects sucking up anyone who might have been interested or that person is just "too busy"...

Give other teams some staff too. And i have a feeling that HLP will soon be overflown with BSG fanatics and the quality of the whole thing will massively drop. soo... yeah.

In short, ignore what i wrote. Its not like its going to change anything.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I expect the reverse actually. FotG did quite well out of hiring BtRL people. Of course we just hired them all back and then nabbed the two project leads to boot. :p

Put me down for one mission :) if you want a sample just give up a design brief. /me is asleep in 2 mins.

A sample in FS2, WCS or TBP is fine with me. I warn you though I only accept the best. :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Don't hate us because we're beautiful.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I expect the reverse actually. FotG did quite well out of hiring BtRL people. Of course we just hired them all back and then nabbed the two project leads to boot. :p

I dont. Anyone new who will join here is going to run straight to this forum. I seriously doubt anyone is going to do anything usefull or even notice any other mod.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
People are going to run to what they're interested in.  Can't help that BSG is more popular than Homeworld right now.  Give it a little time though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Whining about it on here is hardly going to endear you to prospective newbies either. :p

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I dont care if its going to endear me or not. I'm not going to suck up to anyone.

I was just posting my semi-little beef with the whole bsg mod thing.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No offence to anyone on the bsg team, but to be honest, i hate you guys. Simply for the virtue of being a "servitor" to the current SF "series" of the moment.

My reasons for this? Simple. Other mods with various backgrounds wont be able to get anything even remotely related to skilled people since everyone will be going for the "shiny new series"...

That and some mods might lose staff due to this mod. Its all fine and dandy, the btrl demo was nicely done and nicely playable. BUT OTHER TEAMS NEED SOMEONE TO DO THINGS TOO.

For example The Apocalypse Project. I have been trying to recruit modellers and in the last 11 months i have managed to get one person onboard and even he probably wont be able to deliver anything. My team has made more progress in the last 11 months than all the teams since the project began, yet... we still dont even have enough material for the demo due to more "popular" projects sucking up anyone who might have been interested or that person is just "too busy"...

The Apocalypse Project isn't alone. We have the same problem in Inferno, but I don't want to criticize other development teams. Please note there's more chance for a person to know a common show/game rather than an uncommon one, so the fact that small projects can barely recruit new members is justified. Not everyone is willing to model for Inferno. It sucks, however, when you realize that a mod like INF SCP will be hopefully released in a few years simply because of the lack of modellers.

At least TAP has the support of Homeworld fans. Inferno doesn't even have the support of all FS fans due to INF-hating factions. Our conditions are worse, but I'm still working on INFA. Almost daily, oh yeah! ;)

A few months ago I posted a thread abouts mods here on HLP. I'd really like to see a shared forum all devs can use to share opinions and ask for help.

Ex. You model for INF but you surely know what an Y-Wing looks like. The FotG team asks for modelling help and you volunteer. You help and then return back to, uhm, the HTL Icanus. End of example.

Give other teams some staff too. And i have a feeling that HLP will soon be overflown with BSG fanatics and the quality of the whole thing will massively drop. soo... yeah.

You have a point here. Seriously. The BtRL forum on GW has about 45,000 posts in 2,500 threads and most members are BSG fans attracted by a free game based on their beloved series.

You now know someone who shares some of your thoughts, which is not a bad thing. :yes:

I have great hopes for a shared forum for devs, it'll make everything easier(Diaspora would have benefits too). I wonder if I'll ever see one...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

I'd have to agree.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I'd just like to point out that I discovered Freespace through BtRL.  Without it I would never be a part of projects like Earth Defense and Teeth of the Tiger.  Just goes to show...

Offline Axem

People will explore the community that the project is hosted on. GW isn't a good example to be honest. There isn't much in the way of activity outside of BtRL and SoL. (No offense intended for any other projects, I know I have another one there too :p) Even their General Chat is very slow.

HLP is much more active and much more enticing for new people to join in. It also puts them closer to FreeSpace resources such as the Installer, new builds and many other released projects.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Re: Re: Joining The Diaspora Team
...and I agree with Axem as well. :nod:

IMO Diaspora should encourage its players to get interested on FS. Many references to the SCP and other people's efforts in modding should be ok. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I dont care if its going to endear me or not. I'm not going to suck up to anyone.

And there you've explained why your mod isn't attracting new members. Simple fact is that you've come onto the newly created Diaspora forum and basically complained about its existence. Now when someone visits us who is a modeller who likes both Homeworld and BSG do you think they'll join both mods? Or do you think they'll say "I'll only join the BSG one cause the guy in charge of the Homeworld mod sounds like a real jerk"

Congratulations on shooting yourself in the foot big time.

...and I agree with Axem as well. :nod:

IMO Diaspora should encourage its players to get interested on FS. Many references to the SCP and other people's efforts in modding should be ok. :)

In case you haven't noticed, I'm the project lead on Diaspora. Can you imagine me NOT pimping FS2 to all the new people? :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I hope there won't be bandwith problems in sites hosting FS stuff :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken