Author Topic: New music coming your way soon!  (Read 128227 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: New music coming your way soon!
How big is the entire package of these music files? Is it small enough that you could upload it somewhere?

This has to be one of the best (and most unexpected) developments in the community since the source code release. I think the only thing the game could use more, content-wise, is the FS2 high resolution textures.

Hell, I wanna hear FS2_brief4 in Hi res, thats always been my favourite track!

Same here, I love that one.

I want cinema2 in hi-quality. That is my single favorite track in the game (thought the Derelict people were very very smart in tuning their credits sequence to it, fit the atmosphere perfectly).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
A preliminary size estimate for both campaigns in 90% Quality OGG, is about 500 mb.  Pretty good for the near 4 gigabytes I got.  So yeah, I'm gonna need a lot of space, but these sizes will most likely decrease when the VP's are finished.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
High-quality FS1_M5, M9 (Monolith), Brief1, M6_Nrml2, and Cinema are what I'm looking forward to (or remixes thereof, if anyone is so inclined).

Brief1 and Cinema in particular set their respective moods perfectly.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That one FS1 track... the one that was in the first mission of the demo, and the Taranis capture mission... that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
omg... the high-quality FS2 Brief 04 rocks. Really makes listening to the song over and over again worth it. :yes:  :yes: :yes:

If only 100% quality OGG's were possible, but then it's going to eat up HDD space that I don't have... and I have waaay waaay less than 4GB.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The lossless version of OGG (developed by the same team I believe) are called FLACs

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
So that's what FLAC is... was having trouble with my WMPlayer ripper codec and ran across that...

Aw heck, if I had the hard-disk space, I'd be real content with the original high-quality WAVE samples, and then make a VP out of them. That's as long as they're not in bitrates so high that even "civilian-issue" hardware can't read... :shaking:

Speaking of file formats, if the filenames are the same, would the OGG take predecence, or the WAVE?
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Then don't use WMplayer  :wtf:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
It was my MP3 ripper codec. I fixed it already. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
FS2 briefing 4 is soooo damn good!   :D

Ew.

I want cinema2 in hi-quality. That is my single favorite track in the game...

Seconded. :D

Here's what I'd like:

March, Monolith, cinema2, m4_nrml3 and aquitane. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I have a favor to ask someone here....  I was wondering how hard it would be to make some missions up, very simple missions that would allow for easy testing of this VP.  I could just plug it in to the existing campaign, but what I want to test is timing, to make sure the tracks start and end where they're supposed to.  I don't know if someone's already done this before, but it'd be a big help if someone could point me to where I can either learn real fast how to make some missions, cause I have absolutely zero experience with FRED.  (I'm a voice actor, what can I say?) That, or if someone had some free time and would be willing to help make some, that'd be even better, cause then I wouldnt' have to waste time on trying to FRED. 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's personally my very favourite piece of music in the whole game. endpart1 is the ultimate gift for completing the game in my opinion.

I wouldn't disagree with you. It's certainly in my top 5 from either game at least. The thing is I already have a (low-res) copy of it though. Where as the only way I could hear the FS2 intro is to hear it with the sound effects still in it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I have a favor to ask someone here....  I was wondering how hard it would be to make some missions up, very simple missions that would allow for easy testing of this VP.  I could just plug it in to the existing campaign, but what I want to test is timing, to make sure the tracks start and end where they're supposed to.  I don't know if someone's already done this before, but it'd be a big help if someone could point me to where I can either learn real fast how to make some missions, cause I have absolutely zero experience with FRED.  (I'm a voice actor, what can I say?) That, or if someone had some free time and would be willing to help make some, that'd be even better, cause then I wouldnt' have to waste time on trying to FRED. 

I think all you'd have to do is replace the music files (in the data folder), then open FRED, look under Mission Specs Editor, and select the music track you want. Simple as that.
To learn how to FRED, do the walkthrough included with FRED. It is very handy and will touch upon all different aspects of the program, simple or complex. It'll take you about a day to get through, I think. The stuff it doesn't touch on is pretty intuitive (asteroid fields, etc.).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Ah, so its not rocket science then, thats good.  I think if I make one mission with the right timings then copy it 8 times or so, changing the music track for each one, then load them up via the mission simulator, it should work.  Right?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Why do you need a mission? If you could open the high res, and the old res versions into a sound editor and compare parts at certain times, maing sure that they match, it could be a direct replacement, no?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The new Brief4 has somewhat exaggerated highs and seems to have the fading going the wrong way (it gets louder instead of softer at the beginning and end), but sounds excellent otherwise. Thanks for uploading these.

Another one that would be great to hear is the FS1 track 10 ambient music. I particularly like that one, but it sounds especially low quality and would benefit a lot from the 44khz version.

Why do you need a mission? If you could open the high res, and the old res versions into a sound editor and compare parts at certain times, maing sure that they match, it could be a direct replacement, no?

Well, you need to change all the parameters in music.tbl. IIRC the samples per measure thing depends on the bitrate.

A test mission for this should be very easy to make. Just add in an objective that becomes true when you press a key and make an enemy fighter arrive when you press another key, which should allow you to try out all of the ingame music "states."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:07:28 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
AH. Ive never modded the music part. Mea culpa.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
 :nervous:

I never ever before realized that the choir sings Agnus Dei in endpart1. This is the first time I even noticed they actually have anywords in the music at all.

For this recognition only I would be obliged to give a thousand thanks... in form of Thanks.java:

Code: [Select]
public class Thanks {
 public static void main(String args[]) {
  for (int n = 0; n < 1000; n++) {
    System.out.println("Thank You!");
  }
 }
}

Should a conclusive VP package "mv_music.vp" appear, I'll change the code with

n < 1000000

:D
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.