Author Topic: New music coming your way soon!  (Read 128214 times)

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
New music coming your way soon!
EDIT - If you're interested in what I've posted so far.. just go to http://nix1999.shackspace.com/audio and click on what you'd like.  I'll try to post more later on as people request.

Okay, maybe it's not new but...  have a listen.  Those with garden-variety external speakers might not be able to hear what the big deal is about, therefore, headphones might be the best to hear this with...  Before you say anything though, listen to it in it's entirety.   ;)

A project I've started a while back has come true in a way I'd never thought possible.  A while back, some of you might remember a really bad attempt I made to clean up the audio from Freespace 1.  Well, after just hitting my head against the wall, I thought I'd just try asking Dan Wentz over at Volition for the original uncompressed music masters.  Well, to my amazement he replied, and after a summers worth of searching, he's found most of the music for Freespace 1 and 2 in high-resolution uncompressed WAV files. 

Additional interesting happenings are in the works, but have yet to be finalized.  Till then, here's something to look forward to.
In my spare time, I'm going to try to create a VP for the FSPort, and FS2 containing newer, higher resolution audio for as much of the in-game music as possible.  This includes interface/briefing/debriefing/ingame music.  Since so many people have shown such great improvements to things like graphics and models, I've always felt that the music could be better.  Now it can be.  I aim to provide another piece to making Freespace 1/2 as best as it can be, while preserving what I feel to be some of the best music composed in the gaming world. 

Questions/comments/discuss at will!

[EDIT by CP5670] - All of the high quality music is now available here:

Freespace 2 Music Media VP
Freespace 1 Music
FS2 Cutscene and Unused Music
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:16:04 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: New music coming your way soon!
How does one go about contacting Volition staff :o , Not sice the old days of V guys showing their heads in here, have i been so happy to be a HaRRRdy light Boy.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Awesome. The music has always been one of my favourite parts about Freespace (my music is influenced by it way too much) and this sounds brilliant.

Requesting high quality FS2 endpart1 please. ;) *hopes*

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Can't wait!!!!!!!

*Runs home to upgrade his sound card and speaker system*
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Awesome. The music has always been one of my favourite parts about Freespace (my music is influenced by it way too much) and this sounds brilliant.

Screw endpart1 (that's available elsewhere) I want the FS2 intro music :)

Well actually I wouldn't mind endpart 1 too. It's just not as high a priority to me :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.

Screw endpart1 (that's available elsewhere) I want the FS2 intro music :)

Well actually I wouldn't mind endpart 1 too. It's just not as high a priority to me :)
It's personally my very favourite piece of music in the whole game. endpart1 is the ultimate gift for completing the game in my opinion.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I make you right there, Second only to the Hidden folder in the Silent Threat CD.......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Oh, so that's how it's supposed to sound like! :eek2:

The difference to the music files shipped with the game is really really huge, I dare say. Clearly audible quality difference. Great thanks to you for the job and equal thanks to Dan Wentz and :v: for being so great towards the community... :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline starfox

Very good music !
 :yes:

I'd like to hear the FS2 end music too. IMO, some of the FS2 music really enhances the desperate feeling you are supposed to have when fighting against the advancing Shivans, particulary in the final missions..

Like when playing the game at the first time, and you never knew what the Shivans threw against you.
 :nervous:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:jaw: *jaw drops several feet* 

That's absolutely amazing.  I can't believe you were able to get in touch with Dan and get a hold of this stuff.  I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on more of it. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Holy crap. :eek: I didn't think we would ever get the original music pieces. Did he actually send you all of them?

That FS1 mainhall music sounds absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to hear the ohers.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Most of the other tracks are included.  I have missions 1-6 for FS1, and some others like mission 9-10 that need some hack'n'slashing done out of other tracks.  There are a couple of missing tracks though and I will ask about those.  Also, for FS2, I have Acts and Genesis only available in 22K, so I need to ask for 44K files from Dan, because each other mission track plus mainhall track are in high-quality.  I also have some cutscene material that he found, like an uncompressed high-def version of the FS1 intro, Ancients 1, 3,4,5, (No 2, I will ask about this..) but the music done for those parts, I think are different than what was included with the game. 

The official word from Dan, concerning the tracks was: Stephen von Kampen who worked for Noiz studio was hired to work on cutscene audio only.  That's why the cutscenes may have a different sound to them compared to the rest of the game.  I think those may have been lost forever, but I will try asking.  All the rest of the music is Dan's work.  These have been pretty much unofficially leaked to the public, so don't go bangin on :v:'s door for support on this. 

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
 :eek2: Wow!  This is awesome!  Sounds like mv_music will soon become even more essential!  Hooray for your success, and waiting on the edge of my seat for the rest...

Heh, I'm mostly just replying so that this thread shows up on my 'show new replies' list :p

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Well, your comments are appreciated, nontheless!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
This sounds truly stunning. FS1 had the best atmosphere.
I'll seriously replay the entire campaigns (both games worth) if you can give us this music.

Hell, I wanna hear FS2_brief4 in Hi res, thats always been my favourite track!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
This sounds so great  :yes2::yes:... and the FS1 briefing music is (will be) the best IMO.

The FS2 intro gave me goosebumps.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Awesome. :) The FS1 title music is one of my favorite pieces in FreeSpace.  The excellent atmosphere just got even better. :)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
God damn yes.

Now get your arse in gear son and deploy the remaining files! :p
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
FS2 briefing 4 is soooo damn good!   :D

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
FS2 Briefing 4?

(EEEEEVIIIIILLLL GRIIIIIINNNNNNN :mad2:)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."