Author Topic: [Announcement] The Dilgar War  (Read 24392 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
[Announcement] The Dilgar War
When I'm finished with Storm Front Episode III, I'd like to make a campaign for TBP for a change. As far as I found out, there has only been one attempt to create a campaign about the Dilgar war back in 2004 or 2005, which has never been completed or even seriously been started.

I am currently in the early stages of planning the plot and the missions and creating a more or less detailed timeline of the war. I hope to begin with the actual fredding by the end of August and try to get it released sometime early next year.

Expect more information soon. :)

Additional Information:

Chronology
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:10:51 am by SF-Junky »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: [Announcement] The Dilgar War
nice to hear. But don't go crazy, we only have two Dilgar ships. Adding one or two variants via in-mission edits (tables hacks aren't that popular here since well...  :lol:  ) should be possible though, like a slower bomber or something.
Best of luck.

Man, I need to fred again too in the near future.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Or better yet find someone to make a few more Dilgar ships.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

The Dilgar War took place long before the events in the show took place, since it was before even the Earth-Minbari War, and B5 took place ten years after that.  Do you guys even have all those ancient EA ships modeled?  I haven't seen anything besides the Avenger.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline -Norbert-

There is the Tiger Starfury and if I remember correctly, the Nova was introduced short before or during the Dilgar-War.
The Olympus might also be old enough to have been used back then.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
(tables hacks aren't that popular here since well...  :lol:  )
Since what? ;7

Or better yet find someone to make a few more Dilgar ships.
If I find someone, maybe. I will deal with this when I have finished main work on SF III

There is the Tiger Starfury and if I remember correctly, the Nova was introduced short before or during the Dilgar-War.
Yes, the Tiger was used before and during the Dilgar War and the Starfury Mk1 was introduced during the war. Since I have no modelling expertise whatsoever, there won't be any "new" EA vessels.

Offline -Norbert-

I'm not quite sure how compatible X3 and FS2 models are, but if you can get their permission and someone to convert it to FS2 the Sagittarius from the Babylon 5 mod for X3 Terran Conflict might make a nice addition for an early EA fleet.

That B5 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire has an Artemis, Hermes, and a Sagittarius.  Right now they're trying to get an Olympus in.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline -Norbert-

Right.... didn't think of them, because they are an RTS. Anyway here's a link to them: http://babylon5ins.blogspot.com/

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It's pretty simple, if you can work with what we have, this campaign has a higher chance of getting finished.
Otherwise it will be the standart I need SB to do the following ships for me *MASSIVE LIST*-type of crash.

Tiger, Aurora MK1, Hyperion, Nova (I think), Avenger, Olympus, the EA transports. Enough for various mission designs, plus the League ships can be used as well, they were active in that time period. Although they should probably be stripped of some weapons like the beams, since it's not 2260 and the League is inferior to the Dilgar forces.

The problem are the Dilgar forces, since there are basicly two models only. However, I believe this is not a problem: You can create at least two variants of the capship by in mission edits (and probably should, since the Dilgar are way overpowered, no idea who originally balanced them, probably nobody). Plus, you can create lots of new ships by cleverly reskining others, just look at my
Drazi Transports, Brakiri Space Stations, Brakiri Freighter, ...   :lol:  from the FH series. Reskined with exisiting textures in the game.

For example, reskining one or two FirstOne ships would be a neat idea. Just tried it, looks great and very Dilgar-like compared to the other two ships. Damn, I should do such a campaign myself (BUT I LACK TIME  :( :( :( for pretty much all fredding)

I say it is possible. And it's always for the better if things can be done with existing assets.

Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline -Norbert-

If they are stronger than the Centauri and weaker than the Minbari, it's just right, because that's what they are supposed to be, slightly stronger than the Centauri.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Since Word of God about the canonicity of Mongoose Publishing's Babylon 5 RPG is "Meh, until I Say otherwise", I am currently treating it like the Star Wars EU - apart from where it directly contradicts "Word of God" or anything seen on screen, it is canon

Bcause I have the Eath Aliance, League and Dilgar sourcebooks and the EA Capaign books, I know what ships that Each side had and the events of the war. If you need i can provide the information
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

A miniature game previous to MGP's A Call to Arms is Agent of Gaming's "Babylon 5 Wars" and is very much considered canon.  Actually officially endorsed by JMS in the beginning of the rule book.

But anyways, to my point.

I have a full list of all B5Wars ships that were created and used during the time of the Dilgar war, including Dilgar, Earth, Cascor, Brakiri, Hyach, Alacan, Balosian, Vree, Markab, Ipsha, etc.  All of which and more were very much a large part of the Dilgar war.

I am willing to share all the information I had, including ship detail and background to the war as I am obviously a B5 fan and the Dilgar war was personally my favorite part of the entire history.  If this gets made, I'd like to see it done right.  :)

Hope I can help.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The Tiger, Nova, Hyperion, and Olympus all date to the Dilgar War period. The Aurora Mark 1 does not; there was another Starfury that came into service with the Novas and which the Aurora eventually replaced. The League ships existed in basically the same form as the ones in TBP including beams. Dilgar warships should be inferior ship-to-ship to the Nova (which was according to B5Wars fluff was developed specifically to kill them and Centauri ships) but better than a Hyperion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

The Tiger, Nova, Hyperion, and Olympus all date to the Dilgar War period. The Aurora Mark 1 does not; there was another Starfury that came into service with the Novas and which the Aurora eventually replaced. The League ships existed in basically the same form as the ones in TBP including beams. Dilgar warships should be inferior ship-to-ship to the Nova (which was according to B5Wars fluff was developed specifically to kill them and Centauri ships) but better than a Hyperion.

Correct, but with some changes due to other races, including EA, developed pulse weapons after the war from the Dilgar pulse technology.

Hyperion:
-Plasma Cannons instead of Pulse Weapons, more damaging but slower and shorter range.
-Particle Beams instead of Heavy Lasers, less damage, shorter range, but faster firing recycle.

Olympus:
-Plasma Cannons instead of Pulse Weapons.
-One Rail Cannon instead of two.
-Worse missile systems, inferior targeting and carried fewer missiles.

Nova Dreadnought:
-Had entirely laser weaponry (later model after Dilgar war had laser/pulse weapons that could alternate between firing modes).

Tiger Starfuy:
-Less acceleration that the show era Star Fury, less armor and hull integrity too.  Though same weapon as the Starfury.

Nova Starfury:
-Yeh, odd name as the Dreadnought shares it, but released towards the end of the Dilgar war.  Nearly onpar with the show era starfury, but some minor differences in armor and hull integrity, same basic weapon.

Also a few other comments, other races had some significant changes between the Dilgar era and TBP, namely for one, the Brakiri Advanced Cruiser, also know as the "Tashkat"  Didn't exist.  It was some time around 2260 that it was created and the Dilgar war ended in 2232.  :)

If they are stronger than the Centauri and weaker than the Minbari, it's just right, because that's what they are supposed to be, slightly stronger than the Centauri.

Untrue, the Centauri level of technology and ship design easily out classed the Dilgar, and Earth for that matter in the 2230 time frame.
It's just a matter that the Centauri never got involved in the war.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I hate to dampen the spirits but all of this is pretty useless without someone making the models. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
can someone provide orthos of these ships?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Now that would be a start.   BTW I can do conversions and tabling. 

can someone provide orthos of these ships?

Sorry, slow morning, "Orthos"?