Author Topic: [Announcement] The Dilgar War  (Read 24391 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: [Announcement] The Dilgar War
can someone provide orthos of these ships?

Sorry, slow morning, "Orthos"?

orthographic views of the ships, something like that:

http://www.gkane.de/3dfiles/images/starfury_5view.jpg

At least some good reference pics of the ships of the Dilgar War era.

I can probably get a bunch of those for the Dilgar ships and even some of the league races (can't have a dilgar war without the league being heavily involved) tonight.

Would a rough weapon layout be useful too?  IE type of turrents, angle of attack, damage, comparitive weapon recharge?

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I really appreciate your interest in the project, but I am defenitely not gonna use any ship models which are not ready for use already. :) I think there is enough stuff in TBP to make up a fine campaign. Probably I'll use some ships from FS2 and Wing Commander as League vessels, but that's not for sure yet.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
but I am defenitely not gonna use any ship models which are not ready for use already. :) I think there is enough stuff in TBP to make up a fine campaign.

yesyesyesyesyes  :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

*Shrug* to each their own.  :)

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
This is AWSOME.  ;)  :D
Been waiting for this for soooooooo long, glad to see it coming to life.  :yes:
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Vidmaster:
How familiar are you with the timeline and story, do you need/want any assistance with it?

Offline Vidmaster

I am not doing this campaign  :)   And if I did it, I wouldn't care much about some half-canon timeline. I always and only looked at the show and came up with the rest myself.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Sorry, copied and pasted the wrong name.  :)

Half Canon?  It was created by JMS and Agents of Gaming.

Offline Vidmaster

show only  :)

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
Just so that everyone knows; I am also working on a campaign that does include the Dilgar War. :lol:

I have at least 4 missions started on already.

No guarantee that my campaign will get finished though. :nervous:

_________________TBP___________________

Babylon 5 addict!!!

"We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One." Ranger Motto

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
A chronology has been uploaded. Please check the first post. I am planning the campaign on information given by these two sites by the way:

http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Dilgar_War
http://efni.org/Dilgar_War.htm

Offline Vidmaster

sounds solid, a good starting point.  :)

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
I have been working on my campaign involving the dilgar war and I have created a texture re-skin pack for the league base so it will look like a dilgar base. Here are some screenshots of the re-skinned league base.

If you want to use these texture replacement maps in a campaign you can download them here: https://sites.google.com/site/babylon5comlinkshome/misc-tbp-stuff/leaguebase-dilgartexturereplacmentmaps.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Note: This is the first texture replacment maps I have ever done so they are not perfect.

Edit: updated download link
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:57:30 pm by babylon5comlink »

Babylon 5 addict!!!

"We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One." Ranger Motto

Offline Slasher

Nice work!  :yes:

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Get those replacement textures finalized and I still have time to get them into Zathras 2.0. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
I'll see what I can do. Do you have any tips on how I could finalize them?

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Sorry not the artist type.  You said in they are not perfect so just try to get it as perfect as possible and get some feedback.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

I'll see what I can do. Do you have any tips on how I could finalize them?

The current one seems, for the most part, just some yellow/brown mottling pattern. If you want a yellowish look like that, that's fine, but it should get more detail. A few tips might help;

- starting with the base; I'd take some sort of a basic paneling map and blend it with that yellow/brown mottling thing to form a new base. You could either search for some basic paneling textures and modify them to your needs or draw one from scratch, it's not that difficult..

- Add details and greebles where applicable and follow it up with a normal map;

- You need some windows in there. Windows in sci fi ships and bases serve as a great size reference, and visually break it up and make things more interesting. You might also experiment with baking some spotlights here and there to make it more interesting;

- Bake in ambient occlusion if possible - you will need the station's model and a 3d app to do this, however;

- If you've blended that mottling and paneling on the diffuse, you might want to increase paneling/mottling ratio in the spec map to make it a bit more interesting;

- Weathering: grab some custom brushes off the net (try deviantart and similar sites) and try and stack up several layers of weathering. You can play with opacities and blending modes to get the results you need. Try and get the weathering to follow some logical pattern (try and think where would some sort of weathering occur - i.e. dark scorch marks near any exhausts (mostly applicable to ships), paint chipped off near edges, longer sratch marks on longer angular surfaces, etc.

There's also plenty of photoshop tutorials on texturing out there if you need them. I consider this one an oldie but goldie - quite useful: http://www.jamesodonnell.info/dingo_tut/index.html
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb