Author Topic: [Announcement] The Dilgar War  (Read 24394 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: [Announcement] The Dilgar War
He's doing texture replacement maps not a new model. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
- starting with the base; I'd take some sort of a basic paneling map and blend it with that yellow/brown mottling thing to form a new base. You could either search for some basic paneling textures and modify them to your needs or draw one from scratch, it's not that difficult..
The texture does have a type of paneling (it just isn't very apparent); I got it from a dilgar ship in TBP. :nervous:

- Add details and greebles where applicable and follow it up with a normal map;

I had not planned to add normal maps or greebles because if you look at the dilgar ships they are entirely texture detailed. I also would have to create a mod in order to use normal maps for this model

- You need some windows in there. Windows in sci fi ships and bases serve as a great size reference, and visually break it up and make things more interesting. You might also experiment with baking some spotlights here and there to make it more interesting;
Dilgar ships don't have windows. :lol:

- Weathering: grab some custom brushes off the net (try deviantart and similar sites) and try and stack up several layers of weathering. You can play with opacities and blending modes to get the results you need. Try and get the weathering to follow some logical pattern (try and think where would some sort of weathering occur - i.e. dark scorch marks near any exhausts (mostly applicable to ships), paint chipped off near edges, longer sratch marks on longer angular surfaces, etc.
I have attempted to do this now

Screenshot of the progress I have made. Note how the other dilgar ship looks.

Thanks for the feedback newman :)

_________________TBP___________________

Babylon 5 addict!!!

"We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One." Ranger Motto

Offline newman

No problem, these were more general suggestions then aimed specifically at dilgar or b5. If there are reasons against normals, windows, etc, fair enough. I just gave several general suggestions on improving textures, if any of those can be helpful, I'm glad. Also, that second shot: looking better. If I may suggest, try and crank up AA when doing the shots, it'll look a lot nicer - especially on something like this that has a lot of curved, circular lines.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
.... If I may suggest, try and crank up AA when doing the shots, it'll look a lot nicer - especially on something like this that has a lot of curved, circular lines.

I am assuming you mean anti-aliasing=AA :)

Babylon 5 addict!!!

"We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One." Ranger Motto

Offline newman

Yep.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
I think that I have finalized these texture replacement maps FUBAR (I was having problems with shine maps :ick:-but after reading the Gimp image editing thread a couple of times my problems were over :p). If anyone still thinks that my maps have problems speak now or forever hold your peace. :lol:

Here is the new download link: https://sites.google.com/site/babylon5comlinkshome/misc-tbp-stuff/leaguebase-dilgartexturereplacmentmaps.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Screenshots (AA used ;)) :

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
wonderful already. Reminds me of something...  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline newman

Not sure about the pink hangar lighting, other than that nice work.

Offline starlord

very nice! any other dilgar ships you intend to implement? what will they be?

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
wonderful already. Reminds me of something...  :)
like a Brakiri Space Station reskin in fortune hunters.  :lol:

Not sure about the pink hangar lighting, other than that nice work.
  The pink um.... well I thought it was more of a purplish but anyways, I did that because the dilgar have a lot of purple on their ships.  :doubt:

very nice! any other dilgar ships you intend to implement? what will they be?
I really don't intend to do any more texture replacement maps because now I have a base for the dilgar and I can replace any of the firstone ships with the original skhemt textures thus creating a new Dilgar capital ship :lol: You would not believe how ugly the league base would look if you used the original Sekhmet textures on it. :blah:

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline starlord

I think there are old "fanon" dilgar and earth designs spanning the dilgar war on a series of campaign books in b5 boardgames... I also seem to recall an earth design from that period: a carrier named the "avenger" class...

don't remember where I saw that though...

Offline Slasher

I also seem to recall an earth design from that period: a carrier named the "avenger" class...

EA Avenger is actually in the game, though I don't think it's been used a lot so far.  I know it's in Fortune Hunters, but haven't seen it in any other missions/campaigns yet. 

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
EA Avenger is actually in the game, though I don't think it's been used a lot so far.  I know it's in Fortune Hunters, but haven't seen it in any other missions/campaigns yet. 
It WILL be in my Campaign several times. :p

Campaign Name
Spoiler:
The Marshall Family & Their Legends-Part 1(The Dilgar War)

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline Josh17

Sorry if I am not suppose to reply to such an old topic. But someone actually making the Dilgar war would be AMAZING! I know this is almost 2 years old, but has anyone considered finishing this? The Dilgar war would be AMAZING. Especially if it was "fully done" -- as in it was just like the real Dilgar war story where the entire league of non-allied worlds + the Narn Regime where getting beat by the Dilgar and Earth-Alliance came in too save the day. I think it'd be cool to have so the Dilgar war, because what other war (besides the shadow war) had so many races involved?? Imagine how epic this truly would be.

Also, EA weapons where different back then. That would be cool to have. But I'm confused at what Valthonis said

Hyperion:
-Plasma Cannons instead of Pulse Weapons, more damaging but slower and shorter range.
-Particle Beams instead of Heavy Lasers, less damage, shorter range, but faster firing recycle.

I thought it was the opposite? I thought EA weapons during the Dilgar war had LONGER range, but fired slower? For example, I thought EA weapons during the Dilgar war had limited ammunition, but much greater range since a projectile in space will keep traveling at it's speed until it hits something. I thought that when EA invested in energy weapons AFTER the Dilgar war, that energy weapons had worse range, but faster recharge times?? Thus I thought this was the reason why EA fared so well against the Dilgar, and then did so poorly against the Minbari (since not only did the Minbari have stealth, but EA'S new "energy" weapons had worse range and it was hard for EA to get within firing range)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, given that babylon5comlink seems to have vanished, it is unlikely that anything will come of this specific project. You'd have to start from scratch.

Also, resurrecting a 2-year-old thread is a big nono, especially if you're not going to post anything other than "oh, this is a cool project, someone should continue it".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline babylon5comlink

• WTF=What the fred2?!
Howdy all, as you might of guessed I kinda of abandoned my campaign. I just didn't have the motivation (then) to muscle through the enormous amount of work it takes to make a half way decent campaign, I also made the mistake of promising to make something when I had barely started. Plus I've also been going to college (to become a modeling/texturing artist) now, so lots of things are using up my time.
Also, I became a modeling/texturing artist for the Babylon 5 I've found her project. (I've improved significantly since the league base re-texture, thank the gods :lol:)
I'm known as JSM on the IFH site/forums.

Maybe some day I'll actually make the campaign but it is highly improbable. But, sure if someone wants to go ahead and make a Dilgar themed campaign that just fine with me, the more campaigns/content the better!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:25:28 pm by babylon5comlink »

Babylon 5 addict!!!

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Sorry for bringing up this old crate again. I just saw that there's been a reply.

Well, as you all can see this project never got off the starting blocks. However, I recently digged out the script and kinda finished it. I think I'm gonna upload the stuff this weekend.