Author Topic: Can't unzip TBP.rar CD - "bad data detected" error  (Read 4791 times)

Can't unzip TBP.rar CD - "bad data detected" error
I'm getting an error msg when I try running winzip, as follows:

Extracting to "C:\<specified path>" // <- *Note that I edited this*
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: no
Extracting The Babylon Project DVD v1.0.iso
Error: Bad data in file "C:\Users\WheelSpin\Documents\The Babylon Project DVD v1.0.iso"
Irrecoverable Error: Bad data detected.

Is the file itself somehow corrupted, or is the problem with the WinZip exrtactor, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Can't unzip TBP.rar CD - "bad data detected" error
IDK how to test file in WinZip, but in 7Zip, open the archive in the program and click the "Test" button.  Winzip and WinRAR are similar, I'm just not sure where since it's been so long since I used them.   A quick Googling gives this result, but that looks to be an old (12.x) version of Winzip.  Ah, here's the info from Winzip's site: http://kb.winzip.com/help/help_test.htm

Try that.  Post back if you have corruption, if I have the TBP iso file I *might* be able to patch it if re-downloading is an issue.

IDK how to test file in WinZip, but in 7Zip, open the archive in the program and click the "Test" button.  Winzip and WinRAR are similar, I'm just not sure where since it's been so long since I used them.   A quick Googling gives this result, but that looks to be an old (12.x) version of Winzip.  Ah, here's the info from Winzip's site: http://kb.winzip.com/help/help_test.htm

Try that.  Post back if you have corruption, if I have the TBP iso file I *might* be able to patch it if re-downloading is an issue.

Okay, the detailed diagnostic returned the following:

Testing The Babylon Project DVD v1.0.iso   FAILED
Error: Bad data in file "The Babylon Project DVD v1.0.iso"
Irrecoverable Error: Bad data detected.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
mmph.  Probably bad download then.  What size is the .iso file if you open its properties in Windows Explorer?  (Right-click file > properties)

mmph.  Probably bad download then.  What size is the .iso file if you open its properties in Windows Explorer?  (Right-click file > properties)

.rar file is 791MB

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I want to say it's supposed to be bigger than that.   A couple gigabytes iirc?   Can you check the size listed on the download site?

Edit : Ya,  supposed to be 1.8 GB.   Try downloading it using a download manager like Flashget.?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:19:12 am by jr2 »

I want to say it's supposed to be bigger than that.   A couple gigabytes iirc?   Can you check the size listed on the download site?

Edit : Ya,  supposed to be 1.8 GB.   Try downloading it using a download manager like Flashget.?

I didn't think snytjing of the mem size of the compressrd file; thought 1.8G was the restored file size.

I'll try the recommended download mgr.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Just make sure you select custom install and that you don't  want any extra crapware bundled (Spigot iirc).   If not, just uninstall the crapware after you install Flashget.