Author Topic: What the f***edy f***ed f***?  (Read 7658 times)

Re: What the f***edy f***ed f***?
is there a mod for flaming intolerance javelins though
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I know Rome 2 has flaming javelins, but I don't think they are made of ignorance.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the measure of removing the firing pin is actually pretty smart by american standards. in absence of any actual gun storage laws he still managed to take measures that the gun was not capable of being fired by the child. probibly not the best measures but anything is better than nothing. the only thing more absurd than american gun laws is american schools.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yet he left the ammo accesible, it's only a matter of luck.
1 out of 1000 times, the one with access to bullets will know another one with a functional gun but no access to ammo. They can connect the dots just as easily as I did now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
granted the ammo is dangerous by itself, and yea if he knew someone with a gun that took the same kind of ammo, that could be dangerous. but you are missing the obvious point and that is nobody died. things could have gone worse had the firing pin still been in the gun. im not saying that everyone with both guns and kids should remove all their firing pins and stick the guns and ammo in an unlocked drawer, but i am saying what he did could have potentially saved lives. half measures are better than no measures.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:10:13 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The weapon couldn't fire, so all is well.
Without the pin, it is dead weight and as much of a danger as a water pistol.

I sarcastically welcome you to go to into any public place waving an unloaded or pin-less firearm around and then tell me that all is well.

Given how accurate toys today look, and that it's a 9-year old, I'd think most people would assume it's a toy gun and move along.
Worst case scenario (in this case): some people get scared. I also doubt a 9-year old kid is threatening enough to cause a stampede.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, in America, there's a law requiring all non-real guns to have their tips painted orange, precisely for that reason. A gun without an orange tip would've been a reason to worry.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Given how accurate toys today look, and that it's a 9-year old, I'd think most people would assume it's a toy gun and move along.

Quite the opposite - law enforcement officers are trained to treat any gun-looking object as if it were the real deal.

And a real, operational firearm in the hands of a nine-year-old is very much a cause for concern. Nine-year-olds don't really have the mental faculties to comprehend the risks associated to firearms and should never handle them in any case*. So even if the gun itself was secured and not in operating condition, the response to it could easily have been a lethal one.

Worst case scenario (in this case): some people get scared. I also doubt a 9-year old kid is threatening enough to cause a stampede.

Worst case scenario in this case is that he would have been playing with the gun in public, someone called a police who didn't know how to deal with a kid holding a firearm, tried the standard approach of pointing gun at the person holding firearm, telling them to put the weapon down and all that jazz, scaring the child, he points the gun at the police officer, they fire at him as is pretty much the SOP when police officers are threatened with a firearm.

The severity of the reaction here was not inappropriate, but its target was. Nine-year-old cannot be held culpable of these kind of events, whereas grown-ups should be responsible for the lethal and lethal-looking stuff they own for whatever reason.

*I'm talking about actual firearms here. Young children have no place operating cars or heavy machinery because they don't understand the risks associated with them, they don't have the situational awareness and attention span of a normally developed adult. Similarly, they should have no access to lethal weaponry such as firearms. It really boggles my mind how the US population have no problem with requiring a driver's license, while having this insane aversion against some mandatory training or age requirements for owning a firearm.

If we're talking about a family hobby, there are other devices that are more suitable to children, which can be used to familiarize them with the concepts and safety rules of firearms. BB guns (both air pistols and longer types), airsoft/paintball, and archery are all much safer than actual firearms.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If we're talking about a family hobby, there are other devices that are more suitable to children, which can be used to familiarize them with the concepts and safety rules of firearms. BB guns (both air pistols and longer types), airsoft/paintball, and archery are all much safer than actual firearms.
The only thing that makes archery less lethal is that accidental discharge risk is lower. A properly drawn bow can be just as lethal as a firearm, and there's very little difference regarding safety between a crossbow and a rifle. People tend to underestimate those things, plus they're much less popular, meaning they don't get much press, but fooling around with a drawn bow is just as dangerous as with a loaded pistol. I found BB guns to be a good introduction, because they neither require strength like a bow does, nor do they have noticeable recoil, which makes them easy to handle while staying reasonably accurate ("look where the ball is flying" works in paintball and cheap airsoft guns, but it's a poor habit for rifle shooting). While they can still be dangerous, they're much less destructive.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I dunno. Disregarding crossbows for the moment, a bow is a lot more noticeable and natural to me then a gun. It (or rather, the arrow) is point, heavy, has a noticeable speed and travel time and requires significant effort to draw. A gun (especially a hand gun) is small, abstract and incredibly easy to fire and isn't as easy to build the mistake=pain connection in my mind. A bow is also more difficult to conceal for a 9 yr old to bring to school to show their friends. I have trouble imagining 16th Century gangster movies involving bandits waving fully drawn bows at each other and accidentally shooting Marvin in the face in the back of a horse drawn carriage... which is an interesting mental image for me to come up with.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you want something that is hard to conceal, buy a long rifle. It's just as hard to hide in a kid's backpack. I was talking about overall safety of a bow, remember that instead of taking it to school (pretty much only possible with a handgun or some sort, and also a risk with short BB guns), a kid may also have an idea to start messing with it at home. It's somewhat clumsier than a rifle, but due to strength required to hold it drawn, it's easier to accidentally release once drawn. This could be rather deadly, bows are often underestimated, but they're more powerful than many BB guns. At those ranges, travel time is negligible.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I'm fully aware of the potential hazards associated with bow and arrows. But, the thing with archery is that it takes significantly more skill and practice to even get the arrow to fly. The amount of coordination and ability required is much greater than what is needed to pull the trigger of a loaded firearm.

Additionally, small children are physically incapable of using adult-sized bows. They need to use smaller bows with shorter draw length (which determines arrow length and, generally, weight), shorter limbs of the bow, and much lower draw weight. These things make the arrows used generally have quite short range and penetration; although they will still be dangerous if fired at a living target, it is much less likely to have a fatal accident when the act requires so much more than a squeeze of trigger.

In short... guns are always loaded, bows only when the arrow is drawn.

EDIT: Additionally, it's nearly impossible to fatally injure yourself with an arrow. It's possible to shoot yourself through the hand if the arrow is too short, and I guess it's vaguely possible to shoot yourself in the foot, and if the bow breaks I guess with bad luck some splinter or piece could get your eye, but it would be a very unlikely to fatally injure oneself in an archery mishap...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:55:48 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
where i live its not uncommon to see a 10 year old in the back yard shooting targets/birds/squirrels with a .22 rifle, or to take 3 year olds on hunting trips. i think i was 8 the first time i fired a gun, respected them every since.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Luis Dias

is this thread still alive? oh my wat am i doin

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It was posted in 3 hours 11 minutes before your post, so yes it's still alive.

Seriously? They must be getting desperate if they start throwing their flaming ignorance javelins at Minecraft.

They?
It's the father blaming minecraft, not the media

FLAMING IGNORANCE JAVELINS
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What ignorance? He's probably right, though the game in question is more likely to be Guncraft or a mod. I've got a brother around that age and it seems precisely like something he would do. He loves imitating characters from cartoons and games, the dumber, the better. Children have trouble telling games from reality, and that's how it manifests.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Children have trouble telling games from reality, and that's how it manifests.

BULL****.

There are several studies that debunk that notion.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Children have trouble telling games from reality, and that's how it manifests.

BULL****.

There are several studies that debunk that notion.

But it's true MP, when I was a small child I had an episode after playing Dark Forces II Jedi Knight.  I went to a Honda robotics seminar on a school field trip that ended in tragedy.  Poor ASIMO came walking out on stage and I immediately ran up and thrashed him mercilessly and demanded he hand over my father's disk because I assumed he was 8t88.  It was only after several failed attempts at force pushing the angry Honda techs away that I realized I wasn't Kyle Katarn.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”