Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421350 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm personally more interested in the maneuvers pulled in the video. If that's ever implemented...  :pimp:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Lorric man, everybody starts with the right to courtesy, respect, and consideration. You lost that right with your disruptive and occasionally creepy behavior and now you need to earn it back.

Offline Lorric

Lorric man, everybody starts with the right to courtesy, respect, and consideration. You lost that right with your disruptive and occasionally creepy behavior and now you need to earn it back.

Oh come on, you can't hold Yaiceca against me now, that's ancient history and it's over. Others laugh and joke about that now or have moved on.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
How can you tell it is hugely imbalanced without understanding the context? You even give a suggestion as to how to balance (which, ironically, is based on context), but in doing so you're already assuming a context from a tech demonstration? By doing that you clearly are doubting Spoon's ability to balance despite your declaration of the opposite...

I do not believe you are in a position to make either statement. Your panic is premature.
This is very true.
The video is to demonstrate the awesomeness of the new feature that Swifty made with very souped up missiles.
For example it also shows manual locking (as in, you need to hold the secondary trigger to aquire a lock on) and lock resetting (lock gets released after firing) aside from 'just' multi locking.
It's not a 'gameplay demonstration'

I daresay because I don't suffer fools gladly and you are eager to play the fool.

This sort of thing shaped the conceptions of a generation on how air/space combat should be portrayed. Wings of Dawn is a product of, and for, those of that generation. The first release included pseudo-Itano weapons, the first of which was a direct reference to this sort of thing (Remember Dawn's loadout with the IT-AN-0?), and it's been stated before that Spoon was doing the best he could with the engine at that time. If you haven't realized yet that this is one of the most cherished anime space/aerial combat tropes in existence, and its appearance in Wings of Dawn is not only inevitable but something that nearly everyone who enjoyed this mod would want, then you're dumber than a brick.

I'd also point out I've actually played good games that feature mechanics like this; Battlecry comes to mind.

EDIT: I mean, jesus, I was able to link you nearly 20 minutes of compiled Itano Circus scenes stretching across something close to thirty years of anime, almost NONE of which involve people getting taken out like punks . (Otherwise we'd have forty minutes from Macross alone.) This is deeply embedded. The fact you didn't pick up on the significance of that does not speak well of you.
This is (bolded part) also very true.

In short, this was a silly discussion.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

This is good to hear. The secondary hold down is interesting. On release, do you get one missile per target, or a set salvo, so you could potentially fire the lot at one target?

I'm glad you didn't bold the last 6 words of that paragraph :D

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!

Oh come on, you can't hold Yaiceca against me now, that's ancient history and it's over. Others laugh and joke about that now or have moved on.

You will never stop being made fun of for that. Ever. Deal with it. :drevil:

Offline Flak

If the missiles move like that, my only concern is how is that possible without them crashing into each other. At least the Zy missiles moves in a straight line and not doing some acrobatic spins.

The missiles all talk to each other and trade flight plan and trajectory data so they can maneuver to avoid impacting with each other.
/entirelyplausibletechnobabble
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Some Russian missiles IRL are (at least purportedly) able to do that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If the missiles move like that, my only concern is how is that possible without them crashing into each other. At least the Zy missiles moves in a straight line and not doing some acrobatic spins.

Pre-launch course alterations to lock them into non-interfering paths until they've spread out would be enough.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 WoD is an Anime tribute, so Forget The Logic. Mechanime is about giant mechaplanes firing shiddons of missiles and shidhe getting blown up by said missiles, they are not meant to make sense, it's "cool."

But for the love of Wod, do not make a technowatsis field nonsebable explanation about it! Just have Crystal say: "Magitech, I don't have to explain ****" It is far more amusing! ...and would probably make more sense anyway. :p

Some Russian missiles IRL are (at least purportedly) able to do that.
Hey, if the Russians can do it, we can do it, and then the LSF can certainly do it!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
WoD is an Anime tribute, so Forget The Logic. Mechanime is about giant mechaplanes firing shiddons of missiles and shidhe getting blown up by said missiles, they are not meant to make sense, it's "cool."

But for the love of Wod, do not make a technowatsis field nonsebable explanation about it! Just have Crystal say: "Magitech, I don't have to explain ****" It is far more amusing! ...and would probably make more sense anyway. :p

There's a technical term for that kind of thing.

It's called "bad writing".

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The technical term is 'much better writing than Star Trek's approach' dear

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
they are not meant to make sense

I hate to tell you this but by simply animating the missile launch they are actually forced to make sense, even if we have multiple possible reasons why.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Not Scientifically/Economically/etc. is what I meant.

Offline -Norbert-

I have a few questions regarding that missile mechanic:

-Once you pressed down the missile trigger, are the missiles going to launch for sure, or is there some way to cancel the launch?
-How is the number of missiles determined?
I can see two ways for this. One being a fixed number of missiles per target (in which case the max number of targets would be limited by the salvo size). If you lock only a single target, you fire only a single missile (or however many).
The other would the, that the salvo always fires a set amount (like Hornets and Tornados for example). In this case, do they spread among the targets evenly, or are some missiles fired unguided because they couldn't get assigned to a target?
-Either way, what will the double-fire mode do? Double the amount of missiles fired at each aquired target, or double the number of aquirable targets?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I have a few questions regarding that missile mechanic:

-Once you pressed down the missile trigger, are the missiles going to launch for sure, or is there some way to cancel the launch?
If you lose missile lock you can release the secondary trigger safely. Missile will only be fired if you release when you have at least one steady lock on.

-How is the number of missiles determined?
I can see two ways for this. One being a fixed number of missiles per target (in which case the max number of targets would be limited by the salvo size). If you lock only a single target, you fire only a single missile (or however many).
The other would the, that the salvo always fires a set amount (like Hornets and Tornados for example). In this case, do they spread among the targets evenly, or are some missiles fired unguided because they couldn't get assigned to a target?
I guess I can most easily answer this by just showing Swifty's documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Ii3cUywwl7btBTG31jsssEAvoPl2EnYkNbOtRxmePs/edit
I havent tested every possibility yet but so far I don't think its possible for a missile to go unguided due to it not having a target.
(next on my test list is using $Substitute: with this :p )

-Either way, what will the double-fire mode do? Double the amount of missiles fired at each aquired target, or double the number of aquirable targets?
Double the amount fired at each aquired target.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Flak

Reminds me, it probably make sense if the missiles carry no warhead, just an AP penetrator for instance, like real life Patriot missiles. They much less likely to blow up if they knock into each other that way.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!