Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421384 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
I was simply pointing out that this is the same excuse used to justify one of the worst examples of Terran fiction I have ever encountered: The Singular Additional Day of The-Man-Who-Is-A-Spider.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Whether or not you explain how magic works has nothing to do with how terrible One More Day was.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
If they had bothered thinking about it, they would have likely realized that the whole thing made no sense and was a bad idea to begin with.

meanwhile in star trek they would've said it was all a result of marmiton particles decorroborating the phase coinverters
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
All I know is that when I make weapons, I'm going to explain exactly how all of them work.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
All I know is that when I make weapons, I'm going to explain exactly how all of them work.

No you won't. You will be completely unable to do this - there will be whole swathes of resolution inaccessible to you because you don't understand physics or engineering or any other domain of science or behavior well enough to describe something that fundamentally isn't real. This is true of any fictional enterprise

What you will do if you're wise, what projects like Blue Planet and Wings of Dawn do, is create an internally consistent set of rules and play by it, allowing enough flex to deal with inevitable inconsistencies while still allowing players to understand the general terms by which the technology operates. Rather than attempting to explain everything in exhaustive detail, you paint enough of a picture to let the reader fill in the rest of the gaps herself, avoiding both the sense of an acausal universe and the paralytic and ultimately self-destructive information overload of David Weberesque technobabble.

Yes, and the internally consistent rules of Wings of Dawn are very anime inspired, which is why we get massive missile swarms, arrogant and advanced space elves, a fighter squadron that's heavily majority female, and most likely a Reverse Harem flag staff for Crystal.  No doubt the actual captain of the Guardian Angel is male with an all-female bridge crew, though. :drevil:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
after watching the first gundam series, something came to mind. shouldn't ships particularly the aestival bleed leak red stuff when they're injured damaged? :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:48:33 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe they should, but you can't do that on this engine anyway. :)

Couldn't you replace the "damage fire" animations to accomplish that effect?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Why would an Aestival bleed? They aren't biological.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
You could pretend it's the pilot or something, but they ain't got no time to bleed.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
correction. it was not gundam but some mecha anime with emphasis on swords. forgot what it was called but every time a robot lost a limb what followed was a fountain of fluid accompanied by a spraying sound.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Couldn't you replace the "damage fire" animations to accomplish that effect?
You couldn't, unless you did that on all ships. There's no table option for doing that. It'd be great to see that sort of thing at least for Cordi ships, but unless somebody implements that, it's impossible.

Offline -Norbert-

correction. it was not gundam but some mecha anime with emphasis on swords. forgot what it was called but every time a robot lost a limb what followed was a fountain of fluid accompanied by a spraying sound.
That sounds like Neon Genesis Evangelion to me (did those mecha have cables connecting them to the base?), but in that series the mecha were not actual robots, but a bio-organic construct that's esentially a cloned alien, implanted with technology to enable Humans to controll them. But beneath the robot-looking armor they are actual living beings, including some form of consiousness, so the red fluid actually is blood.

In some Gundam series (though not the first one) you occasionally (or rather very seldomly) see some fluids leeking from damaged or destoyed mobile suits, but it's obviously not blood, but rather some lubricant or hydraulic fluid. The Banshee destroying the Delta plus in Gundam Unicorn episode 5 comes to mind here.

Either way, the only ships were it would make some sense if they bled instead of burning would be the Cordi ships, since they at least look semi-organic.
If race specific damage animations are ever going to be possible it would be a nice touch. Cordi bleeding, Nordera belching ridiculous amounts of smoke, Fura'ngle leaving a trail of small crystals...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You couldn't, unless you did that on all ships.

TBP had Shadow ships bleed once upon a time. They might still. I believe this is incorrect.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline yuezhi

• no u
That sounds like Neon Genesis Evangelion to me (did those mecha have cables connecting them to the base?), but in that series the mecha were not actual robots, but a bio-organic construct that's esentially a cloned alien, implanted with technology to enable Humans to controll them. But beneath the robot-looking armor they are actual living beings, including some form of consiousness, so the red fluid actually is blood.

In some Gundam series (though not the first one) you occasionally (or rather very seldomly) see some fluids leeking from damaged or destoyed mobile suits, but it's obviously not blood, but rather some lubricant or hydraulic fluid. The Banshee destroying the Delta plus in Gundam Unicorn episode 5 comes to mind here.

Either way, the only ships were it would make some sense if they bled instead of burning would be the Cordi ships, since they at least look semi-organic.
If race specific damage animations are ever going to be possible it would be a nice touch. Cordi bleeding, Nordera belching ridiculous amounts of smoke, Fura'ngle leaving a trail of small crystals...
thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess we can forgot about SFX for the aestival since the bleeding isn't as frequent as I thought.
For the record I didn't say it was blood. I'm just making a comparison.

On another note I just noticed my custom title :blah:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:10:05 am by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I thought you were looking for Escaflowne originally, but yeah. Fluids!

Offline yuezhi

• no u
I thought you were looking for Escaflowne originally, but yeah. Fluids!
looked up Escaflowne and wow. it's been ages sine i saw that show.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ