Author Topic: Is there any way for the GTVA to win?  (Read 46074 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Is there any way for the GTVA to win?
Blobs are self-contained plasma weapons, which may actually be possible, but projecting an incredibly long magnetic field out into space to contain a thin stream of high-energy plasma would have effects regardless of how heavily shielded your electronics are.

That would explain the subsystem damage, especially from slashing beams, although 300 years in the future I doubt electronics like what we have today will still be in use, let alone the protection mechanisms we use. However it is very heavily implied that the beams we see are plasma, the fact that we can see it at all shows it isn't just a laser.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

That is almost exactly what the Reapers are, when you get around the bizarre, nonsensical crap added in ME2.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hey, I warned you guys.

Step off Saberhagen's Berserkers or we're going to have trouble.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Drogoth

In BP canon anyway, they're relativistic plasma weapons which use a magnetic bottle to guide the beam to its target.

Oh hey, does someone on the bp team read David Weber and Steve White's "Starfire" series? Because that's exactly what the Bug plasma beams in it are.

I friggen love that series. Really most of David Weber's stuff haha. But yeah thats a fair point, and a similarity I hadn't thought of... I shall er. Vote up your question, do they?
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Whereas the Shivans have been haunting my sleep for fully half my life now. Those death black ships and all... and their weapons are too much... NO IT ISN'T! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, YOU WEREN'T THERE!

:eek2:

eve online? O,o lol

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story