Author Topic: Stellar enhancements  (Read 92033 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Ultimately.  A modified stars.tbl and modified missions are also needed.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline neoterran

oh :(
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I would advice to make also files that can be used to replace the current star bitmaps with a generic gold, red, white and whatever types there are of them in retail.

That will make all existing missions to use those without updating them to use system-specific stars, which will already be an improvement from retail stars. Otherwise, all missions would need to be made to use new system-specific stars, and that'll take some time. This way the transition to new stars will be smoother, at least hopefully.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
You were right, the culprit is the supernova effect. I will go ahead and correct this for all of the stars I have made. I'll then provide the Supergiant.rar for anyone to use...

Create a thread in the Modding board...we will never be able to find links in the middle of a page and such.

PS I want more screenshots.... try with Alpha Crucis :P
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Admiral Nelson

I will go back and add these to the LS Nebulae FS2 and FS1 and the other missions I have added LS nebulae to, once these are finished.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I would advice to make also files that can be used to replace the current star bitmaps with a generic gold, red, white and whatever types there are of them in retail.

That sounds great. Coincidently, I was fooling around with some colors before I read this message, and I produced some fantasy stars:

I was inspired by one of the star systems in Freelancer. I think this idea is perfect; everyone will have the option of having realistic stars based on their real life counterparts, or the updated retail stars. I believe the color of the retail stars are in this thread, so I will look through them when I get a chance.

I am done with the supergiants, and I will provide the .rar and correct RGB color values when I return.

PS I want more screenshots.... try with Alpha Crucis :P

Is Acrux featured in the FS universe? Well... I assume it's been used for modded missions, so of course I will produce Acrux. Whatever stars you all want, I'll make them. Just give me a chance to complete what I started first :yes:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Is Acrux featured in the FS universe? Well... I assume it's been used for modded missions, so of course I will produce Acrux. Whatever stars you all want, I'll make them. Just give me a chance to complete what I started first :yes:

It's used in The Southern Cross. lol

Yeah you should complete retail-based systems first.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Admiral Nelson

These are the FS2 systems:

Vega
Deneb
Gamma Draconis
Nebula System (unknown)
Epsilon Pegasi
Gamma Draconis
Capella
Polaris
Sirius
Unknown Binary System (Knossos)

and FS1 adds:

Betelgeuse
Antares
Ikeya
Beta Cygni
Ribos
Antares
Alpha Centauri
Beta Aquilae
Altair
Delta Serpentis
Sol

And other prominent campaigns add:

Ross 128
Talania
Regulus
Kaus Borealis
Gienah Cygni
Naos
Aldebaran
Tau Ceti ("Tau Sigma")
Beta Hydri ("Vasuda")

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:20:08 pm by Admiral Nelson »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
There also is Fomhalaut...Fhomalaut...whatever.... in that "prominent campaigns add".

If you have intention of upgrading all sun bitmaps used in many FS campaigns, be sure that someone will implement these campaigns with your background effects.

*Mobius raises hand for Warzone(Kaus Borealis)*
The Lightblue Ribbon

*Fomalhaut* (added to my list)

From left to right: Antares, Betelgeuse, Deneb, Enif (Epsilon Pegasi), Mirfak, Polaris, Adhara, and Naos (this spectral class O supergiant has a radius of roughly 20 solar radii).

Here are the Type I supergiants of FS:

[Link disabled: revised and resized version available on page 7]

That is a nice list of stars, and I've already added the stars from here that weren't in the Wiki to my "to do" list. There are some imaginary systems in that list, like Ikeya, Ribos, and Talania; if you all have an idea of how these stars should appear, feel free to give me your opinions.

RGB Color Values:

Antares A: 255 193 104

Antares B: 165 185 255

Betelgeuse: 255 193 104

Deneb: 199 214 255

Enif: 255 211 135

Mirfak: 219 225 255

Polaris Aa: 255 243 250

Polaris Ab: 230 233 255

Polaris B: 230 233 255

Adhara A: 177 196 255

Adhara B: 160 180 255

Naos: 155 176 255

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:27:44 am by m2258734a »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Thank you for Antares and Betelgeuse... :)

Don't forget Alpha Centauri and Acrux..lol
The Lightblue Ribbon

Don't worry, these stars are already on my list. There are some specifics that I would like to mention about some the supergiants.

Antares:
A highly evolved star, this red supergiant has no distinct photosphere (or surface). The star exists in its own matter... a large nebulous circumstellar shell. For realism, Antares should reside "within" a nebula in-game to give the appearance that the supergiant is ejecting matter into space. Antares B would also reside in this circumstellar shell, but this tiny companion should not appear large next to Antares. Antares B is actually around 550 AU from Antares A, so as calculated before Antares B would appear to be a very bright star in the background. Viewed from Antares A, Antares B would be more than 200 times smaller than the angular diameter of the Sun as viewed from Earth. But get this... with an absolute magnitude of about -0.9, the star would appear nearly 200 times brighter than a full Moon. From Antares B, Antares A would actually appear to be about two thirds the angular diameter of the Sun as viewed from Earth.

Betelgeuse:
Practically Antares' twin on the opposite side of the Northern sky. Betelgeuse would also have to reside in a nebula to give the appearance that the supergiant dwells in its own ejected matter.

Mirfak:
I know that this system has not been used in-game, but it would make a dazzling background for one reason only. Mirfak is actually the largest member of the Alpha Persei Cluster. This cluster is particularly young, so we would have a random assortment of spectral class O and B stars filling the sky. Having a mission set in this young cluster would be amazing.

Polaris:
This trinary is composed of a spectroscopic binary and another main sequence star orbiting this pair. The supergiant Polaris Aa would appear to dwarf its 18.5 AU-distant companion. In a background dominated by the supergiant, the closer companion would also appear very tiny, but relatively bright. Polaris Ab would have an apparent magnitude of -22 as viewed from Polaris Aa (over 7000 times brighter than a full Moon), assuming that the star is not overpowered by its much larger companion. Some 2400 AU away, another main sequence star is in orbit. Being the third star of the system, Polaris B would appear from Polaris Aa to be about 40% as bright as a full Moon. Despite Polaris Aa being a supergiant, it only as a radius of about 30 solar radii. So if we were to view Polaris Aa from Polaris B, the supergiant would appear about 150 times smaller than the angular diameter of the Sun as viewed from Earth.

Adhara:
Most of what has been said about binary star systems is true for Adhara. From Adhara A, Adhara B would appear to have a very tiny angular diameter, but with an apparent magnitude of -25.2, it is nearly one fourth as bright as the Sun viewed from Earth. Much like Polaris, Adhara A is not a supersized supergiant, with a radius slightly larger than 20 solar radii. From a distance of about 991 AU from Adhara B, Adhara A would appear 93 times smaller than the angular diameter of the Sun as viewed from Earth.

I thought this information would enhance the scenery and give it a realistic touch. Next time I reply, I will provide the upgraded retail stars.

EDIT: Here are the updated retail stars:

EDIT 2: Yeah.... I updated my calculations because some of them made absolutely no sense, such as Antares A appearing 5 times smaller than the angular diameter of the Sun when viewed from Antares B. Now everything is corrected :yes:.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:09:20 pm by m2258734a »

Offline Admiral Nelson

Deneb:

Betelgeuse:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
EDIT: Here are the updated retail stars:

Okay, I took the liberty to convert the star images to DDS format and re-named them so that they should now replace the old retail stars. I also packed them into a VP file. I haven't tested it myself, but it should work when you slap it into mediaVP directory - assuming that there aren't any other stuff in data/effects overriding the VP stuff.

It also replaces the retail star glows with completely black textures.

I only have one question - the files seem quite big, they are 1024x1024 resolution. As I haven't tested the VP file myself, I don't know if they will appear bigger than the retail stars in the game. If they look bigger, perhaps they should be resized or cropped into 512x512 size.

File attached (474 KB 7zip file).

[attachment deleted by admin]
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Epsilon Pegasi:

Polaris Aa:

Polaris Ab

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Great work!

Just one thing: please edit the first post of this thread and post the links there...spreading them throughout this thread isn't that good. Ok? ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Admiral Nelson

When he's done, I'll bundle it all together as a replacement for the LS Nebula FS2 mission pack I made earlier, so that it can go in the media VPs. 

I have files that contain such backgrounds for most systems; I will clean these up, add these stars and release them as a modder's resource.  In this way new campaigns can leverage these backgrounds / stars and ensure that individual system have a consistent appearence.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Nice...

Don't forget that creating backgrounds inSTEAD(oh,dammit, again...)of simply using the same bgs is interesting.

The first Episode of Steadfast takes place in Alpha Centauri...I change the bg in almost every mission!
The Lightblue Ribbon

I would like to thank you Admiral Nelson and Herra for taking the time to set up the stars for the main campaigns of FS and FS2. From the images I see of the stars, it looks like they came out just right. Betelgeuse is is positioned perfectly IMO... the distortions of light caused by the nebula really seem to give the supergiant a pulsating, nonuniform appearance.

I see that the retail stars might be too large to be pure replacements. That completely slipped my mind, so if it is necessary I will resize the retail star images to 512 x 512 without losing quality. The same goes for the supergiants, and now bright giants which I have just completed. While the stars are positioned perfectly, they do seem to be a little on the small side in-game (with the exception of Betelgeuse). I know that one of the underlying reasons might be because the supergiants would otherwise be too close to the user, making the environment hostile and uninhabitable. But in this situation, I think its okay to sacrifice realism for eyecandy. If it's because my images are too large and would otherwise appear way too big in-game, I would be glad to resize all of the images.

One other note I would like to make is about Polaris. Did it originally reside in a nebula before I made the new star? It's not a big deal really, but even though it is a supergiant, it hasn't evolved to that stage where it ejects large quantities of matter into space to form a circumstellar shell. Also, Polaris Ab is positioned fine, but can it appear brighter? It's only 18.5 AU from its larger companion, and should appear about 7000 times brighter than a full Moon from that distance. At 2400 AU, the third component of Polaris, Polaris B, would appear 40% as bright as a full Moon from the supergiant.

I again appreciate the help I have been receiving. Go ahead and let me know if the files need to be resized. Thanks.

EDIT:

From left to right: Albireo (Beta Cygni), Alphard, and Mintaka (another O type star between 15-20 solar radii in size).

I was meaning to upload this after I posted my last message as an update just as I am doing now, but I fell asleep during the process. While you think about how that might have appeared from my end, here are a few words on the two bright giants.

Albireo (Beta Cygni):
A spectacular double star, Albireo can be seen as a mix of bright orange and contrasting blue. While two components of the system can be made out visually, Albireo A is actually a spectroscopic binary. Basically, this system is set up very similar to Polaris. The difference is that the smaller companions of Albireo Aa are going to appear much brighter than they would for Polaris Aa, since the companions are of a younger, more energetic spectral class. To be specific, Albireo Ab would have an apparent magnitude of about -23, about 4.2% of bright as the Sun viewed from Earth. At more than 4000 AU away from Albireo A, Albireo B would have an apparent brightness of -13.8, about 3 times brighter than a full Moon.

Alphard:
Although white dwarfs are dim compared to their stellar companions, these "stars" do emit light and can appear very bright in the sky of a nearby companion. Assuming that the white dwarf companion of Alphard is roughly 50 AU away from the bright giant, it would appear more than one third as bright as a full Moon.

Mintaka:
Although not featured in FS, it was in the Wiki and can be used by anyone if they desire. This system is very complex, and is made up of three components, A, B, and C. Mintaka A is an eclipsing binary, consisting of Mintaka Aa (an O type bright giant), and Mintaka Ab (a B type giant). The stars take about 5.73 days to complete one orbit around each other, leaving the stars with a separation of one tenth of an AU. So these two stars should appear very close to each other in-game. Mintaka B orbits the center of mass of Mintaka Aa and Ab 73 AU away. At this distance, the young star would have an apparent magnitude of -24, or about one tenth as bright as the Sun as viewed from Earth. Even further out at nearly 15000 AU away lies component C. Mintaka C is made up of Mintaka Ca (a B type main sequence star) and Mintaka Cb, (another main sequence star). Separated by about three tenths of an AU, the energetic pair would appear more than one fourth the brightness of a full Moon.

I provide this information to give anyone ideas on how these star systems should appear in-game. I usually make references to the angular diameter of the Sun, and the brightness of the Sun and a full Moon. To provide a form of reference, the Sun and the Moon both appear roughly the same size in the sky with an angular diameter of one half a degree. The Sun is over 400,000 times brighter than a full Moon; a full Moon is over 20,000 times brighter than the brightest star in the sky, Sirius. Sirius is over 20 times brighter than Polaris.... and so on. Just use your imagination and your artistic license to make realism look good.

Also, I have been providing large images of companion stars to make it possible to switch up the scenery in different missions of the same system. This is why I have been mentioning how large the main component of a system would appear from its companion, such as Antares A and Polaris. What do you all think?

Here are the Type II bright giants of FS:

RGB Color Values:

Albireo Aa: 255 220 166

Albireo Ab: 185 201 255

Albireo B: 177 195 255

Alphard A: 255 220 166

Alphard B: 192 207 255

Mintaka Aa: 162 188 255

Mintaka Ab: 158 177 255

Mintaka B: 160 182 255

Mintaka Ca: 160 180 255

Mintaka Cb: 160 180 255

EDIT 2: I recently updated the BrightGiants.rar file to include one other bright giant which I overlooked in the Wiki, Alphard. The file should now be up to date, so if you downloaded this file prior to the update and you would like to have the extra stars, please redownload it. Color values for Alphard and its white dwarf companion have been provided.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:29:59 am by m2258734a »

are we doing the lensflare thing?  I can't see it in thoes pics.  In anycase, they look downright awsome rightalong side lightspeed's nebulas. I can't wait till we put these in the mediavps