Author Topic: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1  (Read 201026 times)

Re: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1
The question is whether GTVA has enough of these ships/weapons to destroy an entire Sathanas armada. Inf takes place about 25 years after Capella - quite some time, but wiping out 90 Saths and countless destroyers (without the Shivans changing their strategy - remember they aren't stupid) with a couple advanced destroyers and some super-destroyers doesn't seem that plausible.

Of course, unless you found the tech entry that makes the Saths look like a bunch of flies.

Offline CT27

I know they're probably dead by now, but how did the EA treat the Vasudans that were present in Sol (the Lucifer strike Thoth pilots, etc.)?

Although it is never stated in canon, it wouldn't surprise me that there were other Vasudans in Sol prior to the closure of the node.
R

I would assume so too, but how would the EA treat them?  Would they put them in a ghetto or something like that or something like offer them citizenship if the Vasudan pilots would fly for them or something in between?

Offline mr.WHO

Why in ghetto? There is no significant Vasudan population in Sol apart of maybe some diplomatic representative, military and scientific advisors - probably not more that several hundred individuals. If there are some females (Do Vasudans even have sexes?) then they could still have some population surviving till Inferno (maybe evene expanding if we count some genetic manipulation to boost population grow). They are probably braiwashed to serve EA and act as usefull tool/agents in contact with Vasudan Imperium, maybe they even convinced VI to not actively participate in EA-GTA war.

The pilots who participated in Lucifer attack would probably be treated like top tier heroes and celebrities untill the last day of their lifes.
It would be interesting to see EA Vasudan character.

I think Rampage said that the reason why the Vasudans stayed away from the GTVA-EA war was because they considered that a domestic Terran issue.

Personally I don't see why a bunch of Vasudan pilots would play a significant role after over 5 decades.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If there are some females (Do Vasudans even have sexes?)

At least two genders in FS2, which seem to map to significant phenotypic differences, so presumably yes. In general I'd be surprised if they didn't since sex is a powerful survival advantage.

Offline mr.WHO

BTW about patching the first release - I notice severe lack of intelligence entries in Tech Room - it would be good to but some notes about Inferno state/history of Terrans, EA, Vasudans and Shivans (e.g. how GTVA estimate current shivan thread).

@Rampage/Woomeister

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with MR.WHO's post, that it wouldn't make much sense for the GTVA not to expect upgraded Shivan technology. The last debriefing states that they didn't expect that SSD (Vidyadhar - cool replacement of the Diablo!!) to pop up. In Act 2, they should already expect that even a larger shivan vessel will enter the play any time soon (Gigas), well regardless if it shows up in Act 3.  :D

Actually, Woo's post raises up another question which I guess Act2/3 probably explains.
Since the Shivans did show up, why would the EA still continue their war against the GTVA, especially since Ross 128 is pretty close to Sol?
I presume they are confident with the Icanus, but by following Inferno R1 storyline, it is kind of known what happens.

(Without the Icanus, if I were EA High Command, I would immediately surrender, lol. Well to be honest even without the Icanus, I would consider.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:09:20 pm by FearofthedarkHU »

The last debriefing states that they didn't expect that SSD (Vidyadhar - cool replacement of the Diablo!!) to pop up. In Act 2, they should already expect that even a larger shivan vessel will enter the play any time soon (Gigas), well regardless if it shows up in Act 3.  :D

Funny thing though, the Vidyadhar was - at some point - a super-juggernaut replacement for the somewhat similar named planet killer from INFR1, with a subspace weapon and corvette bay.

(Without the Icanus, if I were EA High Command, I would immediately surrender, lol. Well to be honest even without the Icanus, I would consider.)

EA was always pretty cool, given they were about at par with GTVA tech and fleet wise I always wondered how GTVA managed to force them to surrender with their entire fleet in Sol. And the Icanus isn't even part of that equation.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Funny thing though, the Vidyadhar was - at some point - a super-juggernaut replacement for the somewhat similar named planet killer from INFR1, with a subspace weapon and corvette bay.
Wrong, that model was a Gigas size ship for the 2nd act of Gateways originally. I shrunk it down to replace the Diablo since we needed a replacement for Nostos and it fitted well. It did have a crovette bay though, the fighterbays used to lead to it.
The front used to be a Sathanas subspace weapon instead of a single beam.

Well I meant a SJ sized replacement for Juggernaut sized Vinaashak. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,33203.msg777272.html#msg777272

Gateways had 2 acts? Anywhere I can something read about it?

Vinashaak? Lovely ship. Which reminds me, I need to start my Ship Review thread.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well I meant a SJ sized replacement for Juggernaut sized Vinaashak. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,33203.msg777272.html#msg777272

Gateways had 2 acts? Anywhere I can something read about it?
We've never had a replacement for that one

No, because I only did a basic run of act 1 and never got around to fully designing act 2. Act one wouldn't lead into what I had planned for Act 2 now anyway and so would be stand alone. Especially since act 1 could have a bad ending now if the persistant variable system works the way I need it to.

Offline mr.WHO

Hi - after Konssos, FSO and media vp update Inferno mod display most of HUD elements twice (one set is biggger resolution than another) - can you tell me how to fix it?

Also GTI Arcas - most of texture are missing after the update.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:49:15 pm by mr.WHO »

Did you install MV_Compatibility? It works on my end.

The HUD issue is annoying though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:58:12 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Fusion

*plays the first mission*

Huh... they really did just make it an update of INFR1

*sees the swerve*

Well ****

Offline mr.WHO

Downloading MV_Compatibility fix the issue of missing textures on GTI Arcas, but it's confusing nowhere in Inferno is noted that MV_Compatibility is required.

Edit: Scratch that, I just found out info that MV_Compactibility is a new file brought by the recent media vp update, so it's not your fault :)

Any info about double HUD bug?

Edit2: Further note from media vp update topic:

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94988.0

*Add Axem's 2_HUD (This may cause a double HUD for some mods. You can fix it by including an empty mv_root-hdg.tbm in your mod's files.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:32:42 pm by mr.WHO »

According to the MVP release post you need only to add a blank mv_root-hdg.tbm into INFs table folder. I haven't tested it myself yet though. Testing board says the team is working on a fix soon(ish).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can't recall who asked about zod gender, but there are definitely females in the retail campaign of FS2. Listen to the translator ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I've gotten up to "Sink the Bismarck" so far, I'm enjoying this though I find the pace of the missions difficult to follow, especially at 4K where the HUD is too small. Even after I've thrown $Force Scaling Above: (1920, 1080) all over all three hud_gauges tables, Axem's messagebox is still very small and difficult to read. Some thoughts so far:

* As usual, the EA fleet is way cooler than the Tev fleet and I wanna fly a Claymore nowwwwwww~! But now the Vasudan fleet is cooler too instead of the lumpy boxes of R1. Evil and evil-enablers are cool and good is dumb. I noticed, though, that despite the additional anti-warship firepower of EA ships in the form of railguns and the like, the missions seem to treat those systems as irrelevant and de-beamed EA ships (except for the Soter) as firepower kills.
* Ships in general seem to have a lot fewer beams, which is probably a good thing as the Tereus and Lindos got pretty silly in R1.
* The Artemis Adv and Boanerges are absolute death traps against EA forces and I'm surprised the GTVA hasn't withdrawn them already to reduce the casualty counts and stop the inevitable savaging of these bombers and GTVA Command by the press.
* Whatever reasons the Vasudans might have for not helping the Terran half of the GTVA, they all should have flown out the window the moment the EA entered Beta Aquilae. They're just going to let a hostile enemy power take the GTVA's joint capital? They should have at least showed up to help boot the EA back into Delta Serpentis, because Beta Aquilae is much more than just a "Terran system", though it may have been one back in the 2330s. Do they even take the idea of the GTVA seriously anymore? Are they preparing a secession?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline mr.WHO

BTW, I noticed fragment of Inferno description on Knossos:
Featuring15 missions covering the first half of the EA war to the arrival of the Shivans in Ross 128, ranging in scope from the largest fleet battles to smaller assault missions. Wingmen that know how to tactically disarm in battle, innovative persistence systems where every ship might just matter and select checkpoint missions bring gameplay to the next level.

Am I might missing something? I didn't noticed a single checkpoint or persistence system in Act 1.