Author Topic: (Un)Official Voiceactors' Group?  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
(Un)Official Voiceactors' Group?
I've been throwing an idea around in my mind (and believe me, there's a lot of empty space to throw in) for a little while now.  I've done voiceacting for two or three campaigns now, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having found it to be a lot of fun.  I've also noticed that voiceacting seems to be one of the largest logistical hurdles a modder can face in the process of creating and releasing a new campaign or mod.  Certainly, no campaign requires voiceacting to be fun or successful, but if a modder decides that they'd like their campaign to be fully voiced, it can be a huge hassle, requiring a lot of time and searching to fill up all the roles and coordinate file submissions.  This made me think: how would it be if someone could create a centralized group for people who've done voiceacting work in the past and are willing to continue to do so, or for those who'd like to give it a try the first time?  I'm not envisioning anything fancy or professional here, just maybe something like a site where voiceactors could list contact information, a description of the way they sound, any past credits, and maybe even a sample sound clip or two.  That way, instead of modders having to go around and hunt for people to fill up campaign roles, they could simply go to a central site and pick out people from a list.  This would save them a lot of hassle, and it would give those of us who enjoy voiceacting the chance to take on more projects.

So, what do you think?  Does this idea sound feasible?  Would those of you who have done voiceacting be willing to participate in something simple like this?  It definitely wouldn't require any sort of commitment, just a simple name listing and the willingness to voiceact for new (or even not-so-new) campaigns.  I know very little HTML, but I figure that even the simplest of plain-text pages would do the job just fine.  Who knows; if there's enough interest, maybe the group could even get hosted at someplace like GameWarden or GTD Bastion?  If that came to pass, maybe we could even set up some sort of central file server to make the file submission process much easier, for both the voiceactor and the modder.

I really appreciate the near-infinite hours of hard work and dedication that the FREDders and modders in this community have put in to give all of us spectacular campaigns and mods to play.  I know that, even if I put hours every week into practicing, I could never churn out anything a tenth as amazing as what I've played.  I don't have any self-delusions; I know I'll never be either technically or creatively competent enough to get into FREDding, modeling, or texturing, and I know that it'll probably be a long time before I know enough about C++ to contribute anything from a coding standpoint.  However, what I do have is a microphone and the willingness to record lines.  If this is all I'm able to contribute to this community, then I'd at least like to give it a shot.  So, if you're out there and would be interested in something like this, please don't hesitate to let your voices be heard. :)

P.S. Oh, and don't worry, this potential group would be decidedly non-unionized. :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: (Un)Official Voiceactors' Group?
I like the idea but it's not the first time it's been proposed.

It's got my full backing if it does actually go forwards this time though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I like the idea to. My shivan campaign is supposed to be vioce acted, but I don't have a microphone or recording software, so It's on a very low priority right now for me. If you can get a group of voice actors together, I'd be very happy :)

Offline Nuclear1

I think this is a great idea. If we can get all of those voiceactors together, I'm sure MatthewPapa would be happy to set up a spot at GW, or, until he gets back from whatever he's doing, GTD Bastion would appreciate the traffic.

There's some real undiscovered talent here in our community who have only recently gotten a chance to show their talents, and this is just an even better way for them to be recognized. A number of them are already doing some work for the next episode of Rogue Intentions and the Pathways demo, and all I have to say is that I'm amazed at the quality. :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

I have not done any voiceacting, but I would like to give it a shot. I do have a mic.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This sounds like a job for...

A New Forum!!! :D

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Sounds good to me.

Start it up Goober.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I've been throwing an idea around in my mind (and believe me, there's a lot of empty space to throw in) for a little while now.  I've done voiceacting for two or three campaigns now, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having found it to be a lot of fun.  I've also noticed that voiceacting seems to be one of the largest logistical hurdles a modder can face in the process of creating and releasing a new campaign or mod.  Certainly, no campaign requires voiceacting to be fun or successful, but if a modder decides that they'd like their campaign to be fully voiced, it can be a huge hassle, requiring a lot of time and searching to fill up all the roles and coordinate file submissions.  This made me think: how would it be if someone could create a centralized group for people who've done voiceacting work in the past and are willing to continue to do so, or for those who'd like to give it a try the first time?  I'm not envisioning anything fancy or professional here, just maybe something like a site where voiceactors could list contact information, a description of the way they sound, any past credits, and maybe even a sample sound clip or two.  That way, instead of modders having to go around and hunt for people to fill up campaign roles, they could simply go to a central site and pick out people from a list.  This would save them a lot of hassle, and it would give those of us who enjoy voiceacting the chance to take on more projects.

So, what do you think?  Does this idea sound feasible?  Would those of you who have done voiceacting be willing to participate in something simple like this?  It definitely wouldn't require any sort of commitment, just a simple name listing and the willingness to voiceact for new (or even not-so-new) campaigns.  I know very little HTML, but I figure that even the simplest of plain-text pages would do the job just fine.  Who knows; if there's enough interest, maybe the group could even get hosted at someplace like GameWarden or GTD Bastion?  If that came to pass, maybe we could even set up some sort of central file server to make the file submission process much easier, for both the voiceactor and the modder.

I really appreciate the near-infinite hours of hard work and dedication that the FREDders and modders in this community have put in to give all of us spectacular campaigns and mods to play.  I know that, even if I put hours every week into practicing, I could never churn out anything a tenth as amazing as what I've played.  I don't have any self-delusions; I know I'll never be either technically or creatively competent enough to get into FREDding, modeling, or texturing, and I know that it'll probably be a long time before I know enough about C++ to contribute anything from a coding standpoint.  However, what I do have is a microphone and the willingness to record lines.  If this is all I'm able to contribute to this community, then I'd at least like to give it a shot.  So, if you're out there and would be interested in something like this, please don't hesitate to let your voices be heard. :)

P.S. Oh, and don't worry, this potential group would be decidedly non-unionized. :p

It's a great idea, and I have no idea why no-one has ever done this, despite it coming up as a suggestion many times.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

I was just thinking the same thing. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

It's a great idea, and I have no idea why no-one has ever done this, despite it coming up as a suggestion many times.

Well, Paul Regenhardt practically had the same thing running for years under the name "Swapmeet". It vanished at some time in the past, though. It was basically a list of people with name, email adress, accents info/description and one or two samples. It'd be great to have everything in place, again. Preferrably with all those basic recording tips.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've not submitted any voices but i think i shouuld give it a go, Lemme buy a microphone fist. :D
Is the forum up yet?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

I was just thinking the same thing. :D

Yup, same here. Maybe a subforum in the campaign forum. Everyone willing to voice act makes a little thread with some information and some voice samples.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ugh.  Forgot about this.  I'll create the forum tonight.  Remind me.

Offline Nuclear1

Ugh.  Forgot about this.  I'll create the forum tonight.  Remind me.

*reminds Goober*

Oh wait, later. Got it. :nervous:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'd enrol, but I'm not sure how much call there'd be for a very English Accent in Freespace, except whenever someone wants the words 'Epsilon Pegasi' spoken. Come to think of it, that's kind of like our very own Leeeroy Jeeenkins!!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Well, the lack of accent variety was the biggest fault of the voice work in the main campaign. I think this project would benefit from any diversity it can find.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Flipside, try playing through the re-released Derelict.  Well more than half of the voiceactors in there are of the non-American persuasion, and the overall effect is great.  In fact, there were times when my own little American-accented voice felt pretty much outnumbered. :p (Seriously, though, the fully-voiceacted campaign is a real treat to play through.)

At any rate, thanks for the help, Goober.  I was afraid I'd have to perform a self-bump, but it's nice to see that there is some actual interest here.  Do you think that a news post would be worthwhile, for those people who may not browse this forum on a daily basis?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
They'll probably see the board reorganization. :)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I felt horrible when my derelict fs2 save got clobbered from a friend playing the normal fs2 campaign without switching campaigns in the launcher :(
But, diverse voice actors are great in derelict. First off, it really reflects that terrans really come from a bunch of areas in the galaxy, and they don't speak the same. You'd expect people from capella to sound differently than those from sol or other star systems. Derelict captured that really great with it's diverse voice acting. Anyway i'm up for doing voice acting myself :) It sounds like fun, and i really want to do something like that. As far as my voice goes, it's alaskan, and it really is different from what i've been told :p
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.