Author Topic: Having problems with FreeSpace?  (Read 157596 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Having problems with FreeSpace?
* jr2 chimes in about the mouse.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
I still miss the awesome way in which the mouse was used to control the ship. FreeSpace's mouse control sucks hairy bollocks.
Offtopic, offtopic...

Hey, if you increase the "Sensitivity" of your mouse in your options, and in your control panel, won't it significantly increase your manuverability, and ultimately, your dogfighting skills?

This is one "cheat" I just recently discovered... ;)
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
That's not a cheat. It's a preference, and it's something everyone knows already.

Some people are unable to handle extreme twitchiness, so they choose a lower amount of sensitivity.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
It's just a matter of getting used to it, IMO. I could handle insane sensitivity when my mouse wasn't half broken and my joystick wasn't stiff.

It still won't increase your maneuverability over the maximum rating of the fighter wouldn't it?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It won't, but you'll find that your ship responds faster when you're really yanking it to one side. This can make a difference between evading a missile without countermeasures and having your face merged with two Harpoons.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I only use the stick for now, tried the mouse and even as low of a setting I can use the stick is still faster, Only thing I use the mouse for on my sidewinder is the bank control, that way the rudder control on the stick won't make me roll over when I don't want to roll over :)
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:necro:

:rolleyes:
:lol:
:p
;)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'll allow it.

...even if it has nothing to do with the original thread topic. :p

Offline Dravej_Stroj

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Black-blinking menu and game
I have a problem with Freespace2 SCP 3.6.10. When i start the game, my screen is blinking black. I run that game in WindowsXP compatibility mode under Windows 7 64-bit (to resolve memory problem). I tried a lot of experiments with Video setup, but nothing works. My graphic adapter is integrated ATi x1250, DirectX 9.0c installed. Classic FS2.exe works fine. Thank you for  any solution.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Black-blinking menu and game
I have a problem with Freespace2 SCP 3.6.10. When i start the game, my screen is blinking black. I run that game in WindowsXP compatibility mode under Windows 7 64-bit (to resolve memory problem). I tried a lot of experiments with Video setup, but nothing works. My graphic adapter is integrated ATi x1250, DirectX 9.0c installed. Classic FS2.exe works fine. Thank you for  any solution.

Update to 3.6.12 Final. Run a debug build and post an fs2open.log if the problem persists.

Offline Dravej_Stroj

Update to 3.6.12 Final. Run a debug build and post an fs2open.log if the problem persists.

still the same problem. In new Loader 5.5f i have no option to choose D3D, there is only OpenGL. I tried turn off Windows Aero, no change. I attached a log file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The engine does not use D3D, ever; you've been running on OpenGL the whole time even with D3D selected.

Please try turning up the resolution and color depth. 640x480 and 16 bit color are probably way too low.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:04:23 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 640x480 with 16-bit color...

...is likely the problem here.

If you've tried changing the video settings, the problem is likely Windows' UAC. The Launcher might not have the required permissions to change the settings from default. Run the Launcher as administrator at least once to create a few registry entries, set up the appropriate graphics resolution and bit depth, then try again.

You may also end up having trouble with the game being unable to save a pilot file; this can be (as far as I know) averted by taking ownership of the FS2 directory in Windows' security properties of the directory.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dravej_Stroj

I try reinstall it, run it as administrator, set 1680x1050, 32-bit, nothing. The animation when you start a game is blinking too. It looks as driver problem maybe. I tried everything and start to feel hopeless...

Problem resolved!

Fail was in ATi display driver distributed via Automatic Updates in Windows. I downloaded ATi Legacy 10.2 driver for Vista 64 and it works fine.

One small problem persists, my mouse goes too slow in play..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:05:05 am by Jeff Vader »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Press F2 to configure options in-game, then change mouse sensitivity.   :yes:

Offline Dravej_Stroj

That was the first option i change, but it has no efect. Mouse has a response delay beetween action and reaction. In original Freespace 2 with no problems :(

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Update mouse driver and configure it in Control Panel.

Offline Busan

Hello.
I have the frozen picture with sound problem... i looked up the solutions and found that i should choose openGL as the renderer, but the problem is, when i try changing it, there is no openGL to select, only D3D in various resolutions.

the game freezes the pic in the "lion at the door" mission right before damage control ship enters.

update: i changed the resolution to a higher one and it helped me trough "lion at the door" but the same thing happened when i was playing the mission where i have to destroy 2 shivan cruisers or something like that...  :banghead:

thanx
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:14:17 am by Busan »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please read this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.0 Follow the instructions there to generate a debug log, and post it here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns