Author Topic: Anyone tried Leopard Preview with FSO?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline wdarkk

Anyone tried Leopard Preview with FSO?
I'm hoping that the updated openGL stuff in Leopard will fix the funky graphical stuff that has been seemingly insoluble for some people.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Anyone tried Leopard Preview with FSO?
Ha!  That's what they'll do - they won't upgrade the ATi 1900 w/e drivers.. they'll make you spend a few hundred $$ on a new OS.  :p to them if they don't upgrade the drivers for 10.4

Offline wdarkk

Ha!  That's what they'll do - they won't upgrade the ATi 1900 w/e drivers.. they'll make you spend a few hundred $$ on a new OS.  :p to them if they don't upgrade the drivers for 10.4

Yeah, they're like that sometimes.

Offline wdarkk

Anyway, seems leopard didn't fix it. When I get some more free time (December) I'll try to do a really detailed bug report based on Taylor's advice.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I'm going to release a new OS X test build tomorrow which has numerous OpenGL fixes in it (along with a bunch of other fixes).  These fix several issues which created somewhat similar graphics problems to the ATI driver issue on the Mac (though not nearly as bad or as frequent).  I'm hoping that these changes will help out some for you guys too.  We'll find out soon enough though. :)

Offline wdarkk

I'm going to release a new OS X test build tomorrow which has numerous OpenGL fixes in it (along with a bunch of other fixes).  These fix several issues which created somewhat similar graphics problems to the ATI driver issue on the Mac (though not nearly as bad or as frequent).  I'm hoping that these changes will help out some for you guys too.  We'll find out soon enough though. :)

Sounds good. I'll be sure to do feedback.

i did.
to be honest, i only found out about FreeSpace SCP one day after installing Leopard.
i can run the game with no problems ( installed with the .jar file )
my wireless mighty mouse is not beign recognized, though.
i have no joystick to test ( i was wondering which one to buy... ideas?  :D )
i haven't done ANY modification nor touched ANY file whatsoever...
i only entered the first training mission in the FS2 Main Campaign to see if it all worked, and to tell you the truth... i don't see any difference from the retail version... am i doing something wrong?
since the links for the OS X FS2 Launcher are dead, i cannot test any mods...

bottom-line: it works on Leopard, i just don't know if on Tiger it runs differently.  :D

keep up the good work!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you are playing FSPort (aka FS1), use -mod fsport,mediavps... if you're playing FS2 (which you are), you need to use -mod mediavps if you want nice GFX... it's a bit different if you have the launcher.  Now, for the mouse... hit F2, and on the left, click Mouse : On, and set sensitivity below it.  ;)

i couldn't find any way to load the -mod thingie... i tried using Terminal, but it told me that FS_ops was a folder, or something like that.
anyways, now i have the Launcher, and its GREAT!
thanks for the help!!!

PS: i can't feel dumb enough about the mouse question...  :sigh:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
PS: i can't feel dumb enough about the mouse question...  :sigh:

Don't worry... you're not the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last.  ;)

Now that you have the Launcher, just select FSPort to play FS1, and it will auto-select mediavps, or, to play FS2 with HQ GFX on, just select mediavps.  To play without extra GFX, select "no mod", and shut all extra options off.  Extra options are:

My "Features" tab in the Launcher looks like this:

(All enabled, unless specified disabled):

List type:

Graphics:

Enable specular
Enable glowmaps
Enable environment maps
Enable jpg/tga textures
Enable mipmapping
Disable motion debris
Stops fog intersect hull
(not selected - disabled) Disable scale-to-window for movies
Apply Lighting to Missiles (you may or may not want this, check and see if it affects your performance.. turn it on, if you have issues, turn it off.)

HUD:

Another pair of scanning lines
Enable info next to target
Enables 3d radar
Enable Rearm/Repair Completion Timer
Enable the analog ballistic ammo gauge

Gameplay:

Use models for ship selection
Enable 3d warp
Enable flash upon warp
(disable next two, Babylon & Wing Commander...)

Added to "Custom flags":

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

For tech info, start off by reading karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ.  Then check out the FSWiki.