Archived Boards > Halo for FreeSpace

To-Do: FSO Upgrade

<< < (2/4) > >>

Herra Tohtori:
This is either a graphics card problem (hardware limitation or driver problem), or something related to your saving method of the in-game graphics.

What MediaVP's are you using?

If the problem happens with current, up-to-date MediaVP's, then it's probably a GPU/driver problem, in which case I ask you to tell us what GPU are you using, and with what drivers? Could you also post your fs2_open.log, that should tell us if something in OpenGL initialization fails.

If it's a data problem instead, here's what could possibly cause it on incorrectly saved textures:

Green is only used for 1-bit alpha on specific type of PCX files. You shouldn't use it for any other type of files. Most effects should use additive blending, which is achieved by making a 24-bit RGB texture with black background and no alpha channel at all. If a texture that is supposed to use additive blending happens to include an alpha channel, that can cause effects that you have described, since the game things it's supposed to use alpha blending for that effect and the alpha channel happens to be fully white - which will create an opaque black box around the effect.

If that is the case, you'll need to look into the settings of the program you are using to save the images, and make sure you eliminate the alpha channel where it is not needed.

But, if the problem happens on all mods (most useful test mod would be mediaVP's, because we know they should definitely work correctly  :p), then it isn't a data problem.

Devrous:
Running a 64-bit system in Win 7 on a GeForce 9800 GTX+ card. Other mods show up beautifully, so I'd have to say it's the alpha channel issue. Have managed to only use free programs so far, with images being edited in IrfanView and converting to DDS with DDS Converter 2. It is most likely a setting in one of those, though my initial guess is the converter. If it ends up being a problem I can't solve with a converter setting I'll have to create my DDS files another way.

Many thanks for the help! I'll post back when it's solved.

Herra Tohtori:
I suggest switching to GIMP or Paint.net for image editing.

GIMP being my preferred suggestion, as I am unfamiliar with Paint.net and would be all but unable to help with that program, whereas with GIMP I would be able to give guidance quite easily. Besides, GIMP will offer you every tool you need for image editing, as long as you don't shy away from the interface design.

For converting to DDS, I suggest getting NVidia's DDS tools - either the traditional nvDXT command line utility, or the newer version which uses GPU power via CUDA to speed up the compression process.

I only use GIMP's own DDS plugin for importing DDS files, then save them as TGA or PNG, and use nvDXT on them to convert to DDS.

Also, familiarize yourself with the different DDS types so that you know which to pick when saving different types of files. Mainly, which ones have alpha channel and which ones do not. I think this wiki page would be a good resource to read through. Post any questions here or in the original GIMP thread.

Devrous:
Thanks for the advice! I tried using GIMP but it didn't recognize DDS files. I must be missing a Plugin.

Herra Tohtori:
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Get the DDS plugin for GIMP 2.6.x from this link here. :)

EDIT: Specifically, this link here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version