Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 25199 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Was hoping for this to be continued. :)

Is there a story summary somewhere? What happened to the original media?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:17:34 am by Unknown Target »

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
Hey, UT long time and all that.  Have you seen the website? Ummm, I seem to have misplaced the website.  Kara - you there? Any idea where the website is?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:31:26 am by Geezer »
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://mindgames.hard-light.net/

Mindgames is on hiatus until Diaspora R1 is out. I simply don't have the time to work on both and I've always felt that a team leader should be working at least as hard as his staff on any project. Once R1 is out I intend to reactivate MG and take a good long look at the storyline. We probably will need to update some of the mods we're using with high-poly models but I fully intend to see if we can do this the same way Blue Planet did and only use assets already available to download.

When it comes to missions, we were about 50% done. How well those missions will stand up to the test of time is another matter. Demands are higher than they were when I was FREDding for MG. Back then we were cutting edge and although I think we still have a few missions that live up to that I think we might need to rebuild a few.

All in all though I still wouldn't say MG is dead. I still want to see it finished. I still intend to finish it. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When it comes to missions, we were about 50% done. How well those missions will stand up to the test of time is another matter. Demands are higher than they were when I was FREDding for MG. Back then we were cutting edge and although I think we still have a few missions that live up to that I think we might need to rebuild a few.

All in all though I still wouldn't say MG is dead. I still want to see it finished. I still intend to finish it. :)
I don't think redoing missions is really necessary as long as they were good in the first place, STR didn't use any SCP features and it still turned out to be a blast.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yes, but MG missions benefit from using new SEXPs like when-argument. I'm for example a fan of if-then-else, and if MG FREDding continues, I will use it.

Here, by new I mean "not around when MG development halted"
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That's not what I mean, I was just saying I don't think people need to go back and redo old missions to incorporate new features or anything like that.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
And I didn't say any of the missions must be redone from scratch just because they're x years old. Inserting some SCP features (where it's sensible to use them from a gameplay perspective) here and there is what I had in mind. It's as much effort as fixing a non-properly working mission goal or debriefing. I mentioned if-then-else because that's what I associated with when I read "new SCP feature." I could have mentioned something more trivial, like Flip Icon.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There were quite a few things we wanted to do in MG that we were unable to do because the engine couldn't actually do them. Since the engine can do them now, we might as well. :)

Offline starlord

hmm... do tell!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not much to tell without spoilers. Just that SCP FRED gives me vastly more possibilities than it used to. :)

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
That's no fun.  Can we just tell 'em about the colossal, pale-crimson Space Lagomorph that eats the Moon and leaves behind a new asteroid belt?
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
What what what...? ;)

EDIT: Are you going to redo the cutscenes?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:57:20 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
"Redo" is semantically inappropriate there. You cannot redo something that's not done yet. :P

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
But:

Originally posted by Unknown Target
Anymore updates guys?

Not really big ones. We have almost all cutscenes finished (7-8 mins), the weapons are pretty much done (they are really cool :nod:  ) and all we are now lacking is missions and a few models. 6 or 7 missions are in beta-stage.

Also wondering if you read Cauldron by Jack McDevitt. There's... "something" in that book that reminds the Starborn.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
ugh, jack mcdevitt

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
McDevitt is a bad, derivative author. He rips a lot of his ideas from much better writers. And in all the works of this bad author Cauldron was, unfortunately, one of the worst.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I found Cauldron to be a rather good book. Not exceptional and probably slightly above average, but surely not trash. Back on topic, I'd like to know if both the Starborn and that thingie described by McDevitt in his book have been inspired by something else.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
http://www.amazon.com/Cauldron-Jack-McDevitt/dp/0441016502

The primary inspiration for the awful twist at the end of Cauldron was probably the awful Star Trek V. There have been much better takes on the same concept done in much better books like 'Eater' and the Galactic Center series.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
But:

Originally posted by Unknown Target
Anymore updates guys?

Not really big ones. We have almost all cutscenes finished (7-8 mins), the weapons are pretty much done (they are really cool :nod:  ) and all we are now lacking is missions and a few models. 6 or 7 missions are in beta-stage.

Also wondering if you read Cauldron by Jack McDevitt. There's... "something" in that book that reminds the Starborn.

I haven't seen any MG cutscenes. Lt Cannonfodder certainly means he has them on his HD.