Author Topic: Unofficial 3.5.3 release  (Read 20845 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
the model loading bug is unpredictable, appears to be possibly some memory getting sploodged on -- someone walked off the end of an array most likely
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
By the way, I did not see the command briefing slider in this version; was that removed or something?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You need to have the latest media VP to see it.

gah - WMCoolmon hasn't uploaded it yet.  Yell at him for me, would you? ;)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I am afraid that I am going to have to request a view-from-ship SEXP again. The ship-look-at and set-ship-pos just aren't enough. Sorry.

You see I am going to need first person views from non-player ships, or camera work in in-engine cutscenes will be very limited.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You need to have the latest media VP to see it.

gah - WMCoolmon hasn't uploaded it yet.  Yell at him for me, would you? ;)

:D lol, but I actually do have the graphics files for that. They are not in a vp though, just placed in the interface folder; does that have anything to do with it?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
I am afraid that I am going to have to request a view-from-ship SEXP again. The ship-look-at and set-ship-pos just aren't enough. Sorry.

You see I am going to need first person views from non-player ships, or camera work in in-engine cutscenes will be very limited.

how about view-from-object - so you can have a "camera" ship class that is compromised entirely of a box with the "invisible" texture! that would be rather nice

Code: [Select]

when
|-true
|
|-lock-player-ship
|-disable-hud
|+view-from-object
|  |-"Ship Object"
|+object-look-at
   |-"Ship Object"
   |-"Target Point" ; ship, waypoint, etc

• Koala-monkey
But what if I want the first-person view from an enemy fighter in battle? Or a bomber closing in on a destroyer?

There is already code for this, surely, as it can be done with the camera controls on the numpad, it's just a matter of maing it into a SEXP.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
:D lol, but I actually do have the graphics files for that. They are not in a vp though, just placed in the interface folder; does that have anything to do with it?

Eh, that's where they should be.  Make sure you have the following files (plus their 2_ counterparts) and they're all 256-color...
CBB_080001.pcx
CBB_080002.pcx
CBB_090001.pcx
CBB_090002.pcx
CommandBriefb.pcx
CommandBrief-Mb.pcx

Are you using 3.5.3 or Bobboau's EXE?  Maybe for some reason it wasn't merged into Bobboau's version.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
But what if I want the first-person view from an enemy fighter in battle? Or a bomber closing in on a destroyer?

There is already code for this, surely, as it can be done with the camera controls on the numpad, it's just a matter of maing it into a SEXP.

that's what view-from-object is for... a ship is an object

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks. :)

(you may want to credit me in the readme for the command brief GUI stuff - although Sesq helped by touching them up :))

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Goober5000
I thought the CTDs started in 3.5.  Then when DX8 was merged in 3.5.1 they lessened a bit.  If we could find out what was committed around the time the CTDs started, we would have an easier time of it.  And there's Inquisitor's $20 as an incentive, too. ;)

Well probably...but I'm talking about the double keypress of the Y button and possibly other targeting controls that causes a crash.  Especially when the target is a piece of debris or an asteroid.  Crash to desktop.  I've submitted a bug....but I don't know if anyone else has looked at it....or even noticed.

Use Y alot during a battle and you'll see.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Are you using 3.5.3 or Bobboau's EXE?  Maybe for some reason it wasn't merged into Bobboau's version.

I am running Bobboau's version, as it seems to have a lot of the problems in the "official" 3.53 ironed out. Are you guys still working on adding back all the features that were accidentally dropped in this version?

One thing I should mention is that every now and then, the mouse input in the menus seems to slow to a crawl and become extremely unresponsive. The ingame controls also suffer, but to a much lesser extent. This can only be fixed by restarting the game.

Also, the game seems to go somewhat slower in thick battles than it used to, although the speeds otherwise are about the same.

Offline Inquisitor

I noticed Ice :)
No signature.

This version has exactly the same glitches as Bridge Commander on my system, for some reason. I think it's a problem with my system more than your additions, though.

Still, if anyone knows why I'm getting huge texture and polygon glitches, before a random, system-debilitating crash/freeze, I'd be grateful - all versions of my GeForce drivers that I've tested do nothing to help, or make the crash happen a lot sooner.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I beleve I figured out why I was haveing the whiteout problem, it has to do with my vidio drivers not likeing to have the color depth changed without a restart, so I guess I'll be playing in 32 bit, and that may explain why it is running slower than normal
(it seems that 16 bit is no longer suported)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No?  Why not?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well it would seem that RT never implemented it, understandably, probly becase he never used 16 bit and was more concerned with other things
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by Kazan

that's what view-from-object is for... a ship is an object

Ok, ok, so I'm stupid. It can't be helped.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Bobboau
I beleve I figured out why I was haveing the whiteout problem, it has to do with my vidio drivers not likeing to have the color depth changed without a restart, so I guess I'll be playing in 32 bit, and that may explain why it is running slower than normal
(it seems that 16 bit is no longer suported)

So your saying that the DirectX8 version is running only in 32bit even when I select 1024x768 16bit in the list?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."