Author Topic: Jaded's ModPacks  (Read 17788 times)

so going through and reinstalling the mod and ALL of the extras with it even if they have already been installed, i was able to run the freespace2 campaign with the updated visuals, and great job man, now im having issues with this on the blue planet complete. i made sure to install ALL of the files that were available for this install. and i havnt played yet, im just worried about issues. and if this is normal or if i should be informing the mods for blue planet about the issue to possibly get help if its needed.

i really appreciate your work with the mods, i wish i was able to do these things as well. i think it would be fun to tinker with

Hmm, that error usually means something isn't correctly installed. Like an installation partially failed. That's probably not a problem with blueplanet itself, so either my modpack or Knossos is going to be responsible.

Could you run the game in fast debug and then post a log for me? Fast Debug and the option to post a log can be found under the mods `Options` button in `Details`. Similar to the `FSO Settings` above. This should give me a complete list of what files it's failing to find and help me narrow down the source of the problem. Just run the game in fast debug until you get that error then exit and upload the log... then copy the link to me here so i can see it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:08:49 am by jadeddragoon »

Hmm, that error usually means something isn't correctly installed. Like an installation partially failed. That's probably not a problem with blueplanet itself, so either my modpack or Knossos is going to be responsible.

Could you run the game in fast debug and then post a log for me? Fast Debug and the option to post a log can be found under the mods `Options` button in `Details`. Similar to the `FSO Settings` above. This should give me a complete list of what files it's failing to find and help me narrow down the source of the problem. Just run the game in fast debug until you get that error then exit and upload the log... then copy the link to me here so i can see it.

Looks like I was wrong... this actually IS an issue in Blueplannet Complete based on info teejaycrunk gave me in discord. There's been a recent change in FSO that affects how sound tables are parsed. It seems the formatting of the BluePlannet Complete sound tables runs afoul of this change.

BPC already has a fix coming down the pipe... i'll release another RC with that version of BPC soon. If you can't wait, make sure you are playing the BluePlanet Complete modpack on 21.0.0 as per here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:58:37 am by jadeddragoon »

I really apreciate the work you are doing but i am getting the following:

When I try launching your mod collection from Knossos, it says there is no executable found for this mod. What would I need to do to get this to work? Thx.

This looks like a bug in Knossos that I have unwittingly stepped in. Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed even if you only need one mainhall. At least, that's the information I was able to find on the subject. Why that would create this specific error is beyond me. And this one is a bit difficult for me to test.

I'll change the dependencies on the mod in the next release candidate. For now, manually selecting FSO 21.0 should fix the issue.

". Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed"
Jesus.... this is everything that is wrong with Knossos. Please come back wxLauncher!

By the way, i faced this very same problem. It's the same if you try to install 4K Hud, for instance. I had to download Gb of data only for that!

Re: Jaded's ModPacks (1.0.0 GOLD!)
Hey guys! Good news. I've been watching for bug reports from these mods for a while now and I'm hearing nothing that can't be traced to knossos bugs. As such I've decided to make the current RCs into the first gold release of my modpacks... with one exception.

The Blue Planet Complete modpack remains in RC status due to it still missing the hd mainhall mod. There's a whole thing behind this, but the good news is it's almost been worked out and the BPC modpack should go gold soon as well. All I'm waiting for is MVPS to update to depend on the 1.4.4 version of the mainhalls mod. Then I'll be able to include them and make one last RC for that modpack. I was originally planning to release the Gold version of the BPC mod without the hd mainhalls... but since we are so close I'm going to go ahead and do so. If I don't get any bug reports it should go gold as well not long after.

Please, if you spot any bugs, don't hesitate to let me know.

When I try launching your mod collection from Knossos, it says there is no executable found for this mod. What would I need to do to get this to work? Thx.

This looks like a bug in Knossos that I have unwittingly stepped in. Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed even if you only need one mainhall. At least, that's the information I was able to find on the subject. Why that would create this specific error is beyond me. And this one is a bit difficult for me to test.

I'll change the dependencies on the mod in the next release candidate. For now, manually selecting FSO 21.0 should fix the issue.

Jesus.... this is everything that is wrong with Knossos. Please come back wxLauncher!

By the way, i faced this very same problem. It's the same if you try to install 4K Hud, for instance. I had to download Gb of data only for that!

This turned out to be an intermittent Knossos bug. In practice it seems the mainhalls do not need to be fully installed. The actual solution can be found here. Simply select an FSO build from the list. The 1.0.0 version of the mods are tested with 21.2.0... but 21.4.0-RC1 should work just fine as well.

As for going back to wxLauncher... that would be a huge blow to the community. For all of Knossos's flaws it's dependency management system is something this community has desperately needed for decades... almost since the start. The only reason I decided to de-lurk was when I discoved someone had finally made something like Knossos. And with the complete re-write of Knossos months if not weeks from public beta... moving back to wxLauncher now would be a huge mistake.

In any case, glad you're enjoying the mod packs. :-) I'm planning to release several more for other famous campaigns. But only once I've got these four to the point I want them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:43:09 pm by jadeddragoon »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
and anyway, you can still manually download packages from Nebula with a browser one at a time if you want...
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

This turned out to be an intermittent Knossos bug. In practice it seems the mainhalls do not need to be fully installed. The actual solution can be found here. Simply select an FSO build from the list. The 1.0.0 version of the mods are tested with 21.2.0... but 21.4.0-RC1 should work just fine as well.

As for going back to wxLauncher... that would be a huge blow to the community. For all of Knossos's flaws it's dependency management system is something this community has desperately needed for decades... almost since the start. The only reason I decided to de-lurk was when I discoved someone had finally made something like Knossos. And with the complete re-write of Knossos months if not weeks from public beta... moving back to wxLauncher now would be a huge mistake.

In any case, glad you're enjoying the mod packs. :-) I'm planning to release several more for other famous campaigns. But only once I've got these four to the point I want them.

Sorry for the (really) late response, jadeddragoon.

I eventually end up downloading every mod that i need manually, manage the packages myself and have various batch scripts for launching the various campaigns. I'm a bit of a control freak and now that i understand who it works, i prefer it this way.

Sorry about the little rant about Knossos. It's a great tool if you just want a Steam like interface for quick download and play the mods (and have spare disk space to do so).  And i have a sweet spot for the framework that was used to develop it (qt), so, it's great to see that. As a software developer myself, i know how hard is to maintain something like that.  Going back to wxLauncher is realistically not doable, i understand that.   

Sorry for the (really) late response, jadeddragoon.

I eventually end up downloading every mod that i need manually, manage the packages myself and have various batch scripts for launching the various campaigns. I'm a bit of a control freak and now that i understand who it works, i prefer it this way.

Sorry about the little rant about Knossos. It's a great tool if you just want a Steam like interface for quick download and play the mods (and have spare disk space to do so).  And i have a sweet spot for the framework that was used to develop it (qt), so, it's great to see that. As a software developer myself, i know how hard is to maintain something like that.  Going back to wxLauncher is realistically not doable, i understand that.   

Absolutely nothing to apologize for! If anything I should. I'm a huge Knossos evangelist and technically have been since before Knossos was even a thing. I've always felt like this community needed something like Knossos. And now that it's here I can't help but be excited for it. So i'm sorry if I came across as upset. I wasn't... I'm just very hopeful for what Knossos can mean for the community from a systemic perspective.

Of course, not everyone is having a good experience with it. And the reasons why are many. Most are Knossos' own fault. Really hoping nu-knossos can address most of those issues. And there are, as you indicate, personal preference reasons some might have to prefer another approach. There's really nothing wrong with that.

Again, sorry if I came across as harsh. Wasn't my intention.

Offline Amakesh

If i try to install, i get an error "I'm sorry but you won't be able to install "Jaded's Blueplanet" because "FSO" is missing!"

Wait, cant install? I'll look into this when i get home.

If i try to install, i get an error "I'm sorry but you won't be able to install "Jaded's Blueplanet" because "FSO" is missing!"

Could you go into knossos settings  > Knossos > and make sure you have "Show Engine Builds In Mod List" checked and click save. Then, under the Explore tab, find "FSO", click Details, and select "21.2.0" from the drop down at the upper left. You should either see a blue "Update" or a blue "Install" button.

Please let me know which one it shows for you. And if it shows the install button go ahead and install FSO 21.2.0, that should resolve your issue.

VISUAL WALKTHROUGH:
Hidden Text: Visual Walkthrough • Show

The current release of Blueplanet does not work on FSO 21.4.0, so 21.0.0 is required instead. Jaded's BPC enforces this restriction and, apparently, knossos doesn't handle that well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:14:24 pm by jadeddragoon »

Offline Amakesh

Could you go into knossos settings  > Knossos > and make sure you have "Show Engine Builds In Mod List" checked and click save. Then, under the Explore tab, find "FSO", click Details, and select "21.2.0" from the drop down at the upper left. You should either see a blue "Update" or a blue "Install" button.

Please let me know which one it shows for you. And if it shows the install button go ahead and install FSO 21.2.0, that should resolve your issue.

VISUAL WALKTHROUGH:

The current release of Blueplanet does not work on FSO 21.4.0, so 21.2.0 is required instead. Jaded's BPC enforces this restriction and, apparently, knossos doesn't handle that well.

Ok, I installed FSO 21.2.0, but it does not helped. Error persists. Even if i go to home->FSO->details and choose version 21.2.0 there is no option to save changes or something like that, so if i go back to home it automatically changes the FSO version back to newest..

Offline Xantosh

1st of all, thanks for compiling these mods so far all the comments on here have helped fixed any issues that have cropped up except for one, in FSP playing the original Descent Freespace campaign i get no narrative voices or briefing voices (i can use the auto tts built into Knossos but that only applies to mission briefings!

1st of all, thanks for compiling these mods so far all the comments on here have helped fixed any issues that have cropped up except for one, in FSP playing the original Descent Freespace campaign i get no narrative voices or briefing voices (i can use the auto tts built into Knossos but that only applies to mission briefings!

Make sure you have the "stu" package from Freespace Port MediaVPs installed. Knossos sometimes leaves off required packages and that package, i believe, is the one for voices.

Glad everything else is working for you.  :)

VISUAL WALKTHROUGH:

The current release of Blueplanet does not work on FSO 21.4.0, so 21.2.0 is required instead. Jaded's BPC enforces this restriction and, apparently, knossos doesn't handle that well.

Ok, I installed FSO 21.2.0, but it does not helped. Error persists. Even if i go to home->FSO->details and choose version 21.2.0 there is no option to save changes or something like that, so if i go back to home it automatically changes the FSO version back to newest..

I have released an update for the BPC ModPack that should fix this for you. Apparently knossos has yet another bug and I was relying on it not to. Should have tested it better. Just make sure to set the build version for BPC to 21.2 after installing it.

Sorry for necroing the thread, couldn't find answer anywhere else though. I am trying to run your modpack for FS1. Your solution for that "no executable was found" is to choose FSO 21.0.0, but I have apparently installed only 22.0.0 (going by the bin folder) because Knossos downloaded it for me. If I download 21.0.0 and put it in the same folder as 22.0.0, still can't choose FSO 21 in FSO settings. Please help - do I need to put it in another folder? Because as you can't see, I can't really choose anything in FSO settings.

Hey BlackViper, sorry you're having so much trouble with this. Hopefully these issues will be history sooner rather than later.

First off, Jaded's FSPort _should_ run with 22.0.0. I'm not really sure why knossos is saying it doesn't for you. I've checked the metadata on the mod and it's set to use any version of FSO equal to or newer than 21.0, which one would think would include 22.0.

Since Knossos isn't doing what make sense you can try installing 21.0... but you can't simply download 21.0 from another source and place it in the same folder. However, you can follow the guide I posted here (in the hidden block). This will allow you to use knossos itself to grab a copy of 21.0 and install it with the correct metadata and everything knossos needs to use it. Hopefully then 21.0 will show up in FSO options for you.

Hope that fixes the issue for you.

Thank you so much for the answer! That solved error about "executable not found", not I am getting this:

I've tried to setting FSO to 21.2 in options for FSPort too, but same error.  :confused:

Yet another knossos bug, I'm afraid. In this case it failed to grab one of the individual package dependencies from FSPort. And then the error message is misleading.

Short version? Each mod has multiple packages, some of which are optional. Jaded's FSPort requires some of these optional packages from FSPort. Because the dependency chain is so complex for Jaded's FSPort Knossos sometimes gets confused and doesn't grab the needed optional packages from FSPort. And then Knossos reports this as all of FSPort being missing... even when it clearly isn't.

To solve this you can go to FSPort in your mod list and click details, then options, then modify. Make sure the "warble" and "stu" optional packages are check marked. Then click okay and it should install them.

The rebuilt version of Knossos that NGLD is working on isn't quite ready for a public release but it's close. All signs indicate these kinds of problems will be a thing of the past when it's ready.

Let me know if you run into any further problems.

Well, error has changed (even though packages warble and stu were checked), now I am getting "requires FreeSpace Upgrade Media VPs".. Which I have, verison 4.5.1, all Mainhalls, GOTY, FSO 22 are checked. And in Media VPs only compatibility, radar icons, advanced, animglow and cutscenes are not.

These are the required packages from FSU MVPs (other than the greyed out ones).

MV_Music
MV_CB_ANI_1
MV_CB_ANI_2
MV_CB_ANI_3

Jaded's FSPort currently uses FSU MVPs 4.4.x. When you go to click modify for FSU MVPs make sure the dropdown in the top left is the most recent 4.4.x version you have installed (and not 4.5.x) so you are modifying packages for the correct version.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 07:19:01 pm by jadeddragoon »