Author Topic: Balance in question!  (Read 1238 times)

Balance in question!
Hi all!

I'm actually working on a tc, and so far i had only two fighters (one friendly and one hostile) tabled and inserted successfully in freespace.
I made weapon and ship balance for those two fighter already, so far i had no problem.
But now , we'll begin to make a carrier type ship and as ship's number is growing (slowly) i'm wondering if anyone had tip about balance, i was thinking about making a excel's board that describe the type /hitpoint / number of turret/ whole dammage (all turret counted in this number) to have a clear view on the balance.
I think it's easy to get balance issue especially where you have no base to look for.
Has anyone good advice about general balancing work?

thanks.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Balance in question!
It all depends entirely on how the ships are used in a mission. After all, ships don't exist in a void. Substituting a Lilith for a Cain, or changing the angle the Sobek warps in at, can have huge impacts on the way the mission plays. I would recommend trial and error testing to see if things work the way you like. Even in multiplayer, this is the way you find out.

Here's a rule of thumb: if you find yourself always wanting to use one particular fighter, or weapon, and never using certain ones, then they're probably out of balance. Adjust things until the strengths and weaknesses balance each other out.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Re: Balance in question!
You point at something interesting when you say that if i want to plays regulary the same ship, there might be a balance issue... but i don't chose my ride for it's stat but because it looks cool  :p

Anyway i think i'll keep the excel's board idea for a first try and  then adjust with testing and testing again mission/multi/duel mission :)

$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination