Author Topic: Need a 'textcanon' GTSG Mjolnir  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Need a 'textcanon' GTSG Mjolnir
Heyya guys,

a small request.

I stumpled in the technical database over this tech entry for the GTSG Mjolnir.
Vastly tougher and deadlier than the earlier Watchdog, Cerberus, and Alastor models, the Mjolnir is a danger to any hostile fighter or bomber that comes within range. Its two beam weapons and three missile banks enable it to take on multiple bogeys simultaneously.

The Mjolnir that is in the game has actually nothing to do with it. So i am looking for a Mjolnir that offers these additional features, because i want to integrate it into my translation/upgrade for FreeSpace 2.

So the new model (or is there an already existing one?) should be also able to fulfill the same role as the Anti-captial ship sentry in the campaign, too.

To visualize my idea:

The main/front aaa beam should be able to fire on targets at the front. The rear aaa beam should be able to protect the complete back and a bit of the side of the Sentry Gun, that is the reason why it should be of top on a small tower.
And the three missile launchers should be positioned on three of the arms. Maybe the rotation speed of the arms have to be reduced, so that the launchers are able to target and to fire their missiles in time... Also this rotating segment should not be an own subsystem anymore, because i do not know what actually happens with the turrets, if you destroy it. :D Exception could be, if its "destruction" simply stop its rotation only.
That is actually the idea i had in mind after i read the technical entry... So this Mjolnir would have it's weakness if you attack it from the side, which should be fine for the first line of such sentries.

Thanks in advance to whoever is interested to make this model. :).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:59:29 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Need a 'textcanon' GTSG Mjolnir
The initial draft of Mjolnir was apparently something different. V provably envisioned it as complex defence system capable of both defending itself, prociding anti-fighter screen for crucial objects like installations or jump node areas and finally, to inflict tremendous damage to cruiser-sized targets and bigger.

ProtoMjolnirs were just op :P. V realized that, and made a new model to be more demanding from gameplay perspective, but forgot to write a new tech description.

As for the model itself, I guess it really existed but it was dropped before FS2 was released. To make something like that, you would actually have to design this thing from scratch. It's easy to mount AAAf, but there is no proper spot for missile lanchers because almost half of the surfaces of Mjolnir are rotating.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I always thought it sounded like a GOD platform from babylon 5.

Not sure what the usage would be on that model without permission, so I'd say have a play with making one using the existing model.   There's a kitbash tutorial on the modding subforum that walks you through adding submodels. 

Give it a go  :) :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
I always thought it sounded like a GOD platform from babylon 5.

Not sure what the usage would be on that model without permission, so I'd say have a play with making one using the existing model.   There's a kitbash tutorial on the modding subforum that walks you through adding submodels. 

Give it a go  :) :yes: :yes:

Well, i will try it. It is actually many years ago since i added submodels to an already existing model. So i was not even sure how i make that  :D

So i will read through that, i think.

Because this thing sounds interesting and not even too OP actually. Also it would work in the Retail campaign without any rebalancing, nevertheless.

But for the time being, i have changed the tech description to the model that is present in the game.

As for the model itself, I guess it really existed but it was dropped before FS2 was released. To make something like that, you would actually have to design this thing from scratch. It's easy to mount AAAf, but there is no proper spot for missile lanchers because almost half of the surfaces of Mjolnir are rotating.

Is it not possible to have turrets on rotating submodels in FS2?
I mean, that rotating stuff could be the reason why they need only three instead five missile launchers... because due to the rotation, everything in range can be targeted and attacked.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Is it not possible to have turrets on rotating submodels in FS2?

It is possible.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well... that was quite easy.

I have done that already and it is working :nod:

Well, the only problem i have, if i kill the "Outer Ring" subsystem, it disappears, but the Missile Launchers are still there, but invisible and not killable then. But they can kill me. :/.

Ah ****, sorry I remeber that bug (I had it with the moving arms Sathanas). Somewhere on Discord the SCP bot said the bug was fixed, but IIRC no new nightly built has been posted since then. For now you can only use SEXPs to get rid of the turrets.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Ah ****, sorry I remeber that bug (I had it with the moving arms Sathanas). Somewhere on Discord the SCP bot said the bug was fixed, but IIRC no new nightly built has been posted since then. For now you can only use SEXPs to get rid of the turrets.

Ah good to know.

Currently i changed the flags of the Outer Ring system, so that the Rotation simply stops if it is destroyed. So the turrets are still there and can be destroyed now.
Even it is indeed a not easy-to-kill Sentry Gun now... but so it seems to be more fitting to the tech description.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:50:27 pm by Novachen »

Probably they just should have made the model much bigger, I never understoof why they had to mount such a huge beam on such a tiny model. If the Mjolnir was the size of a Deimos (or a bit smaller) it would've been more logical. All they had to do beside that was replacing the NTF fighters chasing them down with a bomber wing.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well, if i understand the Technical Database correctly it should be 2 AAAs and 3 Missile Launchers... but not a Mjolnir Beam that can take down Cruisers or larger.

And as an Anti fighter/bomber plattform i do not think, that this one is too small.

Maybe the NTF killing one is a special issue, where all weapons were deactivated to have enough energy for the Mjolnir Beam.... no clue.

The good one, i now actually have the possibility to do such things...

And without your hints that would not be possible in the first place... so a big thx for that to you and Dekker.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:09:13 pm by Novachen »

Maybe the NTF killing one is a special issue, where all weapons were deactivated to have enough energy for the Mjolnir Beam.... no clue.

Actually I don't think there's a need to reason things that can not be reasoned. GTVA should mount them all on flat plains, equip them with subspace drives and toast Saths left and right. If :v-old: had stayed with the version they apparently had when they wrote the tech desc it would've been all fine, as you noted. :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
You could Fred an event

When
>is subsystem-destroyed=ring
Then
Destroy subsystem-weapons that live on ring

Or thereabouts?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Looking at the MVP model, there are probably 2 bugs with the Mjolnir that you'll have too unless you already fixed them:
-debris-2 should be named "debris-grind02a00" to turn it into livedebris as it is made from the subsystem, but the subsystem disappears entirely when it is destroyed (no special subsystem flags and no -destroyed submodel); which causes the debris to pop into existence again upon the Mjolnirs death.
-same for debris-3, which should be named "debris-grind01a00".

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
For what it's worth I have a remapped baked efficient and bugfixed Mjolnir right here. I posted it to FSU internal but got no response.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Can't you upload the files to FSU SVN?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I don't have SVN access configured on my PC just yet. Too much to do and too little time. I managed to get this done though.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Looking at the MVP model, there are probably 2 bugs with the Mjolnir that you'll have too unless you already fixed them:
-debris-2 should be named "debris-grind02a00" to turn it into livedebris as it is made from the subsystem, but the subsystem disappears entirely when it is destroyed (no special subsystem flags and no -destroyed submodel); which causes the debris to pop into existence again upon the Mjolnirs death.

Well, because i changed the behaviour, that the destruction of the outer ring only stops its rotation, i had this bug only for the Inner Ring, of course :D.

You could Fred an event

When
>is subsystem-destroyed=ring
Then
Destroy subsystem-weapons that live on ring

Or thereabouts?

Yes, i could. That would be other alternative i have.
I have not decided how i handle that, actually. Because it could be a too big weakness for a Mjolnir, if you can knock out all of its Launchers with the destruction of the Outer Ring. Even it is an interesting weakness nevertheless.

Even i was not able to get them to work with other missiles then FighterKillers. Have to say, that i would actually like to test it with Cluster Bombs. But i have slowed down the rotation time in the mean time, maybe it is working now.

For what it's worth I have a remapped baked efficient and bugfixed Mjolnir right here. I posted it to FSU internal but got no response.

Well... i am irritated. What bugfix you mean here? The stuff Nightmare mentioned above with the debris?

And is this actually only a reskinned Mjolnir with this debris stuff or is this an even higher poly version?

But nevertheless, i am offering the version i have created so far, which also includes the debris fix for the inner ring.
MjolnirSG download it is 14 MB, because i used the Turrets from the Fenris by Hades/Nyctaeus for the Launchers on the Mjolnir as they were most fitting. So i have included the required texture from it, too. Did not know about the textures, because i have already included the upgraded Fenris into my mod package  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:15:36 am by Novachen »

Well, because i changed the behaviour, that the destruction of the outer ring only stops its rotation, i had this bug only for the Inner Ring, of course :D.

Well since normal debris doesn't take subsystem rotation into account it would still appear where it is not supposed to appear. :D

Well... i am irritated. What bugfix you mean here? The stuff Nightmare mentioned above with the debris?

And is this actually only a reskinned Mjolnir with this debris stuff or is this an even higher poly version?

They have new maps and pieces of debris; but the issue with the subsystem debris remains there too. Most notable differnce seems to be that they're pointing directly aheady (so you can use set-object-facing).

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Most importantly, GalEmp's Mjolnir is properly UVed. No tilemaps so much better performance.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Is there a way of referring to the sub-models in the media vp without needing to include them? 
 :confused:

#aimingforefficiency
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.