Author Topic: Running out of time  (Read 17490 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Do note, however, that MikeRoz's decrypt explicitly mentions the Descent: FreeSpace Strategy Guide, so this means that we only need to focus on the star systems shown in Descent: FreeSpace and possibly Silent Threat as well.

You might want to try HLP's PM function if you solve the puzzle, nuclear. ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:32:53 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Of course, the noses of these craft could be pointing to another star on the page of the book. Did anyone try to brute force the stars yet?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline MikeRoz

Yes.

I also tried every star on this list. Combinations of both designations and traditional names, with stars like Vasuda thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately it gets less reliable when the sample size goes above 500,000.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I have the FS1 strategy guide, investigating...

I believe the medusa's nose is pointing towards Alpha Tucana.  Oddly enough the Tucana constellation borders the Phoenix constellation.  (edit: I did speculate the star may have been Delta Tucana, but upon closer inspection, it is most likely Alpha Tucana).

The basilisk's nose is pointing towards Delta Lupi.  It is part of the Lupus constellation.

thank you google sky

no luck with the password so far.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:36:46 am by phreak »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nuclear1

EDIT:  Ok, nevermind.  Who knows what we need to do with 5712.92.3784?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:46:17 am by nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
If i could find the cable to my digital camera
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline MikeRoz

ACCOUNT FOUND: [web-form] Host: 64.92.160.252 User: isaac.stone Password: Alpha Tucanae Delta Lupi [SUCCESS]

Amazing how neither of those stars appeared on Wikipedia's list of 779 star designations.
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Because the actual stars the ships are pointing at are too unimportant to have a non-scientific name associated with them
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ooh, great work guys. :)

...audio access?  Bwuh?

Offline MikeRoz

Nuclear, phreak: You fail for leaving too early. It *IS* a phone number.

Isaac Stone, Commodore
Phi
Alpha Tucanae Delta Lupi

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So the login details in full....are? :eek2:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
So the login details in full....are? :eek2:

Username: isaac.stone
Password: Alpha Tucanae Delta Lupi

While that is apparently a valid account, all it brings up is "You have specified audio only access for this account. To change this behavior, please contact your system administrator."

Thanks for the account details, though. Mike, much obliged to you. :)

Now we need to know how to change the node.

EDIT: A little note - http://64.92.160.252/ is the same as going to http://www.hard-light.net.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:26:52 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MikeRoz

Here's a partial transcription of the first message. I'll edit it with the real thing once I get a chance.

Commodore Stone, this is Captain Larsen, GTSC Valhalla.

We are en route from the node, and if you haven't already heard, our publicly stated mission has failed. With considerable effort, the Valhalla was able to enter the jump corridor, but couldn't brute force its way out the other side. We've heard back from Beta Aquilae and Deneb, and they coulnd't get through at all. There will be more on this in the coming weeks, but that's not why I'm calling.

Our discovery has confirmed 1st Fleet's final transmissions, and our salvage crews have been working through the past 96 hours. We have deep scans from the

but the jackpot is that the aft defenses were almost completely intact. We've recovered five pulse turrets, as well as a complete missile launcher battery. Unfortunately, deploying salvage haulers was impossible due to the increasing instability of the corridor

I look forward to sharing our results with everyone after tomorrow's press conference.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Where is this audio we have access to?

Offline Vip

Meh, I love puzzles that are meant only for US residents - just as Sci-Fi always reminds me that I'm living on the end of the world each time I want to watch BSG :P
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Damn, they are going all-out, aren't they? This is intensely nerdy. :lol:

So it seems like this science ship Valhalla was officially tasked with trying to test the node's status, but its true mission was to try to recover whatever remnants of the Lucifer were left behind in subspace...and it seemingly succeeded.  That could explain what winds up on the Hades, then.  I like how they worked in the apocryphal nodes in Beta Aquilae and Deneb, too.

Edit:  Hmm...there are two additional messages.  One about finding a bomber, somehow related to the Vasudans, and the other about trying to integrate new systems...on the Hades, I think.  Maybe I'll see if I can't get audio recordings of this once my cell phone recharges.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:21:30 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
The more this plot thickens, the less I want to face the new Hades.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell, anything's better than rubber-banding your joystick trigger down. :p

For anyone who can't call the phone number, I have the entire recording (interspersed with my lovely voice giving input :p) uploaded here.  Sorry for the lack of quality; I was recording it via my cell phone's speakerphone function.  I'll try to get transcripts of all three messages up later tonight.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It doesn't sound intimidating at all actually... from the recording.

It sounds like a piece of junk.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Meh, I love puzzles that are meant only for US residents - just as Sci-Fi always reminds me that I'm living on the end of the world each time I want to watch BSG :P

Damn you! You got the frakking Resistance Webisodes on your Season 3 DVD.

But I'd like to thank Rikki his down load...(After seeing his Custom Title once, i can't call him anything but)
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit