Author Topic: PCS2 failing on Windows 10  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Rico

PCS2 failing on Windows 10
I'm trying to run PCS2 on Windows 10 and keep getting:

Code: [Select]
The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem
From what I can find online Microsoft Visual Studio is required however I have installed it without any change.

Any ideas?  :confused:

Re: PCS2 failing on Windows 10
Did you make sure that MSVCR120.dll is actually there? Assuming that 120 is some sort of version number, just having Visual Studio installed does not guarantee that the file PCS wants is there. Aside that, PCS runs on my Win10 w/o having VS installed.

Offline Rico

Did you make sure that MSVCR120.dll is actually there? Assuming that 120 is some sort of version number, just having Visual Studio installed does not guarantee that the file PCS wants is there. Aside that, PCS runs on my Win10 w/o having VS installed.

I checked and it not there, hence trying to find out how to get it and thus searches have pointed to VS being a prerequisite.

I'm using PCS2 from here;
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h2jiiqbefdfzuoe/pcs2.7z/file

Is this the wrong version/incomplete version?

Just search for the MSVCR120.dll on Google, AFAIK it is available as seperate download (it's not included into any PCS DL though).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The missing file is part of the VS runtime libraries, that's all that is needed to run PCS2, not a complete VS install.  But it does need to be for the version of VS that PCS2 was built with.  The actual PCS2 release build thread would usually mention what support libs are needed I thought, but I haven't read it in a while.

Be careful finding it on Google, I would only do that so far as to find what VS runtime bundle it is in, and grab that directly from Microsoft.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Rico

Just search for the MSVCR120.dll on Google, AFAIK it is available as seperate download (it's not included into any PCS DL though).

Why would it not be included in the install if it's required and not part of VS? People normally don't need to go searching for .dll files to get programs to run.

Not to mention any search about it gives this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/msvcr120dll-missing/ef3bca56-3155-4383-ac99-d2a6ea262831

A quick search to download the .dll gives only suspicious looking links with the only Microsoft link being the above saying to install VS.

Probably the DLL should be included into the PCS download then.

Offline Rico

The missing file is part of the VS runtime libraries, that's all that is needed to run PCS2, not a complete VS install.  But it does need to be for the version of VS that PCS2 was built with.  The actual PCS2 release build thread would usually mention what support libs are needed I thought, but I haven't read it in a while.

Now that you mention it I do recall there used to be an installer version that worked and a newer version (2011-02-19) which was ziped with all required .dll files. It doesn't havethe MS120.dll but it atleast runs. Abiet doesn't seem to want to open the .pof files  :wtf:

Seems like the newer version is missing files.

Probably the DLL should be included into the PCS download then.

Agreed, especially as it's the one linked in the pinned topic on this forum:

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77292.0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:34:07 am by Rico »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Should just need this bundle:  MSVC 2013 Redistributable Package (runtime libraries)

It is probably already installed on most systems and might be why it was omitted from the post.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Rico

Should just need this bundle:  MSVC 2013 Redistributable Package (runtime libraries)

It is probably already installed on most systems and might be why it was omitted from the post.
Hmm, I thought I already had that installed and indeed I did have the x64 version installed..... but not the x86.....

Installed the 32bit version and vola it works!

I definitely recommend that this be added to the post by "The E" to advise people that it is a prerequisite.

Thanks for the help!!   :yes:   :D

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I agree

Offline Rico

I've just added a post to the PCS2 topic, its not perfect but atleast gives others a chance to find the info  :nervous:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Honestly I'm really sad Google doesn't make googling for that error provide more useful info about the correct fix.  It's one of those things that once you do know how to fix it, it's like, duh, why was this so difficult?  I blame all those strange dll hosting sites though.  Must be better at SEO than Microsoft itself.