Author Topic: WC 4 Durango-Class Carrier  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
WC 4 Durango-Class Carrier
Hey Guys,

here is something I always wanted to do :) Even though I think this is one of my best so far, I'm not sure I can use this baby ingame. It's supposed to act as your homebase carrier in a couple of missions (not related to WC-Saga, don't ask ;) ) , so I put in a little more detail. Well, I want to use this in the freespace, but I'm not sure it's "suitable" for gaming purpose anymore. This is "detail0", and it has nearly 50.000 polygons. Though around 50% should be in the greebles, I can maybe reduce a few things, and in detail1 a lot of stuff will be removed. But I would rather like to use it unchanged. I made also a few minor changes to the original concept (additional engines below because there was room free) :D

Anyone here (BSG-Mod or whatever) who has made highpoly ships can tell me if this thing will work ingame without breaking the fps too much ? Would appretiate the info. And since I'm so proud of it, here are some picture (don't mind the low poly fighters in the hangar, those are just placeholders ;) )

And here are some more from different angles.
http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/durango02.jpg
http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/durango03.jpg
http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/durango04.jpg
http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/durango05.jpg
http://wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Starman/pics/durango06.jpg
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: WC 4 Durango-Class Carrier
The Solaris destroyer in Blue Planet 2 has about 70,000 and is not to my knowledge a system killer, so if you can keep the texture count low, I don't see any reason you couldn't use this in game.

Offline Nighteyes

yeah, 50k poly models are fine, just make sure to provide LODs with the model as well...
on a side note, by the looks of it, there are probably around 10k-20k polys just in the engines... honestly I don't understand it as most of the time there is a huge thruster glow obscuring the view of all that detail...
personally I would just put more details into the wide empty surfaces on the outside, even if its just some sort of armor plating... I really don't know where all those polys went...

Those are my thursters, the intakes and turrets also take a good chunk of polys.

I'd recommend doubling the size of the thrusters and reducing their number by half.

Edit: oh ya and so are the hangers... so 50K isn't too suprising
double edit: are you remembering to hide the -destoryed turret and engine/intake parts?  those add additional polys.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:30:24 pm by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep Scooby, some of the greebles are yours ;)  I ask again, is it ok for you that I use them ? Regarding the engines, each cone has only 250 Polygons, and I need all 16 pieces, since the original had 16 too. Besides, 4 huge ones wouldn't look so good.

The Hangar is below 10 K, it's more the sum of the other greebles. Especially the one on the arm, outside front, those the half globes with the pipes come with 5 K each, I will replace this one with something diffent.

Scooby, your greebles are fine in polycount, I have also a package with very cool greebles downloaded ones, technical stuff for scifi-Ships, and these are very high poly. However, I'm also not so sure where the other 40k went ;) But if it's ok, I can keep the model as it is.

And yes, I know how to handle the "destroyed" subsystems, don't worry, I'm doing this long enough ;) The only thing that you will have to explain me sometime, is how to handle the angle side turrets in PCS2 so that I can check the Saga-Models ;) In these renders here, I removed some destroyed parts however, but those are also not so poly intensive
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:11:44 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Yep Scooby, some of the greebles are yours ;)  I ask again, is it ok for you that I use them ? Regarding the engines, each cone has only 250 Polygons, and I need all 16 pieces, since the original had 16 too. Besides, 4 huge ones wouldn't look so good.
Sure not a problem.

I have also a package with very cool greebles downloaded ones, technical stuff for scifi-Ships, and these are very high poly. However, I'm also not so sure where the other 40k went ;) But if it's ok, I can keep the model as it is.

I know which one your talking about (or at least I think i do).  Those need to be optimized/cut down bigtime before their useable as greeble.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I know which one your talking about (or at least I think i do).  Those need to be optimized/cut down bigtime before their useable as greeble.

I downloaded them for free from Scifi-meshes once, a guy named "jedilaw" created them. Some of these Highpoly greebles can make up good ground building like generators and stuff ;) But yes, some of them are simply not useable for Freespace. A simple radardish there comes with 10K polygons
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

You may want to spread the detail all over the ship and not concentrated in a single space. In today's world of normal mapping, a great deal of those greebles you spent so much time on could be easily imitated with clever use of polygons and normal mapping with only 1/8th the polygon count. Use polygons wisely, even though our excellent engine can handle tons of polygons it is best to stay efficient.
I have created a masterpiece.