Author Topic: Installing R1 with Underdogs FS2  (Read 4461 times)

Installing R1 with Underdogs FS2
I had the retail version, (burnt, from a friend) but the cd has recently been corrupted  :mad: :mad: :mad:

I downloaded the underdog's release, but it's not like the retail, and as such, I'm unsure how to install the inferno R1 I have.

I downloaded it from a link from this site, it had both inferno R1 and Sol, a history, but neither are the installer excecutables.  As such, and given that just copying the files to the main directory makes FS2 not work, I just need to have some help on where to put the files from the inferno release.  There are 2 .vp, a .fc2, a node map, a pic, 2 text documents, and a "mod settings"

Also, I will need the same help for installing Sol, A history. 

I appreciate your help.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Installing R1 with Underdogs FS2
Hi Evilbookworm

I suggest that you remove any files you placed in your FreeSPace2 directory and use jr2's walkthrough to Turey's installer to get FS2_Open and all the mods provided with it, (It'll also download any files that were missing from the HOTU download).

Oh and BTW:

:welcome:

:D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

I was under the impression that Sol, a history doesn't work with freespace 2 open?  Has this changed?

Also, to be frank, i'd like to not have to download anything else, that sort of thing is nastily time-consuming (not to mention expensive) on my connection.

Thank you, for taking the time to reply.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Buy a CD / DVD / Game Doctor machine and use that on your CD.  (You may have to run it through 5-10 times.)  Just make sure you don't let the disc dry out as you work.  karajorma's FAQ had some info in HOTU versions, IIRC.  (Top of this page -> External Sites -> The FreeSpace FAQ)

Oh, and get a better ISP if possible.  :ick:

And, :welcomeblue:

Alright, I've found the section with the help for modding the underdogs version.  I may go ahead and get the missing files first, now that I know where I can acquire them. 

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, I've got class now, but I'll try to install Inferno later, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the welcome as well.   :p

Victory is mine.  Using the aid from the freespace oracle (thank you ever so much for the link, jr2, and vp viewer, and some luck, I got Inferno R1 and Sol, a history to working.  Unsure if the regular fs2 works at this point, but I believe it does, despite it saying that it won't.

Thank you all for the aid.

Ummm... Do you guys think I should do a FAQ or guide on this page, for others with the same problem, or since R2 requires FSopen (I think I read that somewhere) it's not worth the time?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  To get everything working together (Retail, SCP, SCP+R1, SCP+R1+Sol), you'd have to use SCP.  But SCP breaks Sol, so you'd need the fixed table files, available on Hades Combine.  And, you need the INFR1 SCP patch, and the unofficial SCP patch.  I'll dig these up for you in a few mins... stand by.

EDIT: (Total download size=~70 MB)

Inferno R1 SCP patch from here

Inferno R1 (Unofficial Update)

Sol: A History fixed tables from Hades Combine

FS2_Open 3.6.9 Official

Launcher 5.5c

Media VPs 3.6.8 Zeta Core - This is the base MVP file, only 3 MB, not the entire MVP pack, which is hundreds of MB.

Now, put all of your mods into their own folders - this is important!!!.  Eg, put the INFR1 files (+ both the patch files for it) in the INFR1 directory.  Put the Sol: A History (and its patch) into the SAH directory.  Put the 3.6.8 Zeta MVP into the directory mediavps.  Do this for any mod you want to use. 

Put the Launcher files into the main FS2 dir, and also put the 3.6.9 Official files in the main FS2 dir.

Now, you need mod.ini files.  Put them inside their respective mod directories.  mediavps does not need a mod.ini.

INFR1 mod.ini:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
image255x112 = Inferno.bmp;
infotext     = Many years after the second coming of the Shivans, the GTVA completed the Melia project and opened a gateway back to the Sol system. But instead of being greeted, the expedition that was sent to re-establish contact was wiped out by a new faction - the Earth Alliance. Two years on, the GTVA has decided that the civil war between Terrans must end, and that the EA must surrender... or be destroyed.;
website      = http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/inferno/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,20.0.html;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,mediavps;

[settings]
flags = ;

Sol: A History mod.ini file:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Sol - A History
image255x112 = logo.bmp;
infotext     = Sol - A History. An Inferno Campaign by Blaise Russel. It is 2335. For 14 years, the Terran-Vasudan War had been slowly grinding its way along, when the appearance of a third species changed everything. An implacable foe that simply would not die, the Shivans resisted everything the united Terrans and Vasudans threw at them. Their flagship, the Lucifer, destroyed the homeworld of the Vasudan people, and now it's on its way to Earth... Over the course of four campaigns spanning 37 years, 40 missions and the fall and rise of two inter-planetary powers, YOU are a soldier for Earth, a warrior for the Alliance, thrown into life-threatening situation after life-threatening situation... what part will you play in the developing history of Sol?;
website      = http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/sbre/sah/sol_a_history.htm;
forum        = ;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,FSPort,Media_VPs;

[settings]
flags = -spec;

Let me know if you can use this.  Otherwise, I don't believe it will be possible to run mods and still be able to play FS2 Retail.

EDIT2: Oh, yeah, right... umm, to use those mods you just set up, use the Launcher; in the main screen, select the 3.6.9 exe, and in the "MOD" tab choose "Select Mod" and select the directory you want to use.. eg, INFR1 or SAH... for Retail FS2, use mediavps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:28:20 pm by jr2 »

Ah... I'm unsure if you saw, but I got it working...

But thank you for the aid, I'll save this so when I do get the SCP that I'll be able to install everything correctly.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:doubt:

Well, if you have a chance to use Internet that doesn't cost lots of $$$, then just get everything using Turey's Installer, and burn it to a DVD to copy to your home computer.  :D  I was showing you how to get 'bare-bones" SCP... so that you could use FS2 and INFR1 at the same time (ie, without renaming/moving a bunch of stuff).