Author Topic: Re: What you need to know about the new Inferno continuity  (Read 6508 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What you need to know about the new Inferno continuity
That's what I told you. If they can dome the moon in five decades, they can swarm the sun in five decades. Possibly less as the swarm may be easier to complete.

Reduced thickness? Past the ten centimeter minimum I used? That was pretty generous.

So again, which is it going to be?

At any point in this discussion you can simply invoke Rule of Cool and I'll be fine with it. You've already said 'it's magic' once.

Why can't you simply accept the fact that you're wrong, again? You have been wrong in claiming quite a few things recently. This whole thread is a response to your "Mobimod" (wrong, because this is a team effort, not to mention the fact that is was disrespectful), "this is not Inferno" (wrong, because it's incredibly similar to the old continuity) claims. You also complained about many members of the old team being inactive! :eek:

Now, you're pretending the Nanotech you have in mind to be exactly the same as the one that will be used in Inferno. :rolleyes: This was a temporary explanation because, as I said elsewhere, INF SCP and INFA2 are currently on hold. I did not venture further into studying materials to make things more believable, but that will be done later. Consider what you can read above as a temporary solution to complaints, as I can't divert more attention from INFASA and *CLASSIFIED* unless it's strictly needed.

Calm. The ****. Down.

I've said a hundred times that I'm excited to play this mod.

Get your dick out of your ass and think about this thread. What happens here is not important. The issue of the plausibility of nanotechnology in the terraforming of the Moon is not going to impact my suspension of disbelief, my enjoyment of the campaign, or for that matter that of 99% of the players. It's something fun to argue about, but it doesn't make a single gram of difference in the scheme of things.

You don't have to worry about it. And you don't have to get angry about it either.

I've said before that I think that what you are making is very different from the previous Inferno. That doesn't mean it won't be fun.

The only thing here that I really worry about is your own composure. If you're incapable of having a friendly discussion about the design of a science fictional setting - if you have to turn it into something about your own personal merits, or those of another person - you need to step back and take a look at yourself.

Remember: this is a discussion board for the modification of a ten year old video game. Most of the people who play your mod will never read this thread and don't give a **** about it. Man up, stop wasting time on forum drama, and finish your campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So, attempting to reset the thread after Mobius' little meltdown.

If the EA can dome the entire moon, why can't they Dyson swarm the sun? The two projects are on the same scale of engineering difficulty, and swarming the Sun would have enormous benefits.

Does the EA have immortal citizenry now? To what extent is medical nanotech extant?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let us end this discussion.

Mobius obviously has his plans and reasons for the direction Inferno has taken. Whether or not this is 100% in line with the original plans is immaterial; in the end, we'll just have to wait until the release to see whether it'll all work.

Now, I, just like NGTM-1R and Battuta, have voiced my opinion on this subject over and over again. It seems pretty clear that there's a dividing line between what we accept in SF, and FS-related worldbuilding, and what Mobius has come up with. Mobius has tried to explain how he came to his conclusions (and whether or not his explanation is good is very much dependant on taste).

Discussing this, and the broader issue of whether this is "still Inferno", is just yet another in a series of flamewars this community seems to engage in periodically, and as such, we should take responsibility for starting it, and take measures to end it here and now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, what I want to know is if there's anything we can do to make Mobius more comfortable with this kind of discussion. I'd prefer to be able to have reasonable, adult conversations that don't degenerate into YOU'RE WRONG YOU'RE WRONG. It's an interesting topic and I'd enjoy being able to talk about it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Calm. The ****. Down.

Get your dick out of your ass and think about this thread. What happens here is not important. The issue of the plausibility of nanotechnology in the terraforming of the Moon is not going to impact my suspension of disbelief, my enjoyment of the campaign, or for that matter that of 99% of the players. It's something fun to argue about, but it doesn't make a single gram of difference in the scheme of things.

You don't have to worry about it. And you don't have to get angry about it either.

I've said before that I think that what you are making is very different from the previous Inferno. That doesn't mean it won't be fun.

The only thing here that I really worry about is your own composure. If you're incapable of having a friendly discussion about the design of a science fictional setting - if you have to turn it into something about your own personal merits, or those of another person - you need to step back and take a look at yourself.

Remember: this is a discussion board for the modification of a ten year old video game. Most of the people who play your mod will never read this thread and don't give a **** about it. Man up, stop wasting time on forum drama, and finish your campaign.

I have no intention of getting angry, really. :) I think I provided a reasonable explanation, regardless of how temporary it is, and that's a good thing IMO. The problem with this subject is that it's about a WIP thing, which lacks a description going into the details. While I think it makes a lot of sense, it still isn't enough.

And for the record - I'm working more than you could believe. ;7

If the EA can dome the entire moon, why can't they Dyson swarm the sun? The two projects are on the same scale of engineering difficulty, and swarming the Sun would have enormous benefits.

Does the EA have immortal citizenry now? To what extent is medical nanotech extant?

Dyson swarming is not that doable considering the Ricochet Effect, really.

Planets already have their own array of solar panels (there's an INFASA mission based on such panels, actually) and don't need vulnerable satellites all around. Not to mention the fact that, unlike domes, satellites would have many electronical parts, would need serious and continuous maintenance (made harder by the RE) and would hardly transmit energy to the places where it's needed. Their construction would surely end up being counterproductive. I think the major drawback of building a Dyson sphere is all about the risks in case of war: satellites would be easy preys, and enemies could easily cripple the whole sphere and/or sabotage it. The war between the EA and the JC is supposed to end only a few years before the Delta Serpentis jump node is reopened, so I think there won't be any Dyson spheres at the time of INF SCP.

About medicine: I don't citizens are immortal... they may live longer, maybe, but they surely won't be immortal. I have some sort of a WIP fanfic about a captured EA pilot, and that will uncover a few aspects of medicine. I can't say more until the fic is completed and approved by Woomeister, however. I was planning to post it in a new thread once it's complete, checked and approved. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Well, what I want to know is if there's anything we can do to make Mobius more comfortable with this kind of discussion.

You are a lying liar who lies, sir. You have utterly...
...didn't help things. Perhaps if NGTM-1R would be willing to retract/rephrase some of that?

(As always, i'm on no side; i just want a peacefull board).

End of the day, Mobius, maybe the key here is too cut down some of the info. We don't need to know about "Type Z or A" armor end of the day (cool as it may sound). Let's just keep it at "Biodomes made of nanites, cutting edge and based of Shivan tech". That's all we need to know for now. Let people ask if they want more info. Sometimes information overload gets to people.

But as E said, back to discussion.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well people may be actually interested on how such additions can affect gameplay (e.g., armor classes) because all these background info will be hardly mentioned in the main campaigns. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Calm. The ****. Down.

I have no intention of getting angry, really. :) I think I provided a reasonable explanation, regardless of how temporary it is, and that's a good thing IMO. The problem with this subject is that it's about a WIP thing, which lacks a description going into the details. While I think it makes a lot of sense, it still isn't enough.

And for the record - I'm working more than you could believe. ;7

The description doesn't make sense but I don't particularly care. What I care about is whether the campaign is fun.

I also expect you to keep those kinds of outbursts under control in the future. You're better than that.

Dyson swarming is not that doable considering the Ricochet Effect, really.

makes no sense

Dyson swarming doesn't require subspace.

Planets already have their own array of solar panels (there's an INFASA mission based on such panels, actually) and don't need vulnerable satellites all around. Not to mention the fact that, unlike domes, satellites would have many electronical parts,

The satellites are actually far simpler than the domes, which require a vast infrastructure of environmental and safety systems.

The war between the EA and the JC is supposed to end only a few years before the Delta Serpentis jump node is reopened, so I think there won't be any Dyson spheres at the time of INF SCP.

...so...they had the ability to build Dyson swarms, but they didn't?

(a sphere is not a swarm)

If so, why did you just spend a great deal of time shouting about how I was wrong?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Dyson swarming doesn't require subspace, but you need subspace jumps to place satellites and repair them. Swarming it's much more doable than a sphere, but... because of the RE, it will end up being impossible. Satellites can still be used to boost lagrange point colonization, but the RE posed serious limits to that as well.

I have a couple of bitmaps showing satellites, but not for that purpose. I was thinking to use them in a description about terraforming.

Oh, and satellites need solar panels, electronics and serious maintenance: domes wouldn't. They could be mostly composed of anti-kinetic fluid contained between two metallic layers of very limited thickness to prevent the fluid to be lost in space. The fluid becomes rigid when hit by an object having a given kinetic energy or higher, with Geofont-style pillars fixing them to Luna's soil. They'd have to be plastic also, just to resist to gravitational variations. No much complexity can be added to domes, or they would be impossible to build/repair.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Well plausible or not, it sounds cool to me and who cares if building a dome round the moon is not possible its Sci-fi, anythings possible in sci-fi. I like the background info in the first post. So long as the campaign its self is cool i am happy, i have been following inferno for a long time heck i even help on it, i designed the GTD Icelus back when i was skaarj, ahh my first model. Anyway point being this still feels like Inferno to me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Re: What you need to know about the new Inferno continuity
Split and locked. This is getting a bit stupid, don't you agree? How many rounds of Mobius vs. Battuta do we need?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Re: What you need to know about the new Inferno continuity
As many as it takes?