Author Topic: [RELEASE] Lost  (Read 23625 times)

Just before I play this, is the version uploaded on Knossos the most current version?  It has a post-date of 1/29/2018.  If there were bugfixes or any other changes made since then, I'd rather wait until that version is on Knossos.  Since this is an atmospheric story, I don't want to ruin the experience!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Just before I play this, is the version uploaded on Knossos the most current version?  It has a post-date of 1/29/2018.  If there were bugfixes or any other changes made since then, I'd rather wait until that version is on Knossos.  Since this is an atmospheric story, I don't want to ruin the experience!

That should be right. I've updated 2.0 a tiny bit, just to remove some leftover files, but nothing that changes gameplay. I'll get around to pushing that tiny update to the Knossos version sooner or later, just download the version that's there now and enjoy! I don't anticipate making any notable changes to the story in the future.

but who knows :D

Hope you enjoy!

That was a very interesting vignette!

"My eyes cannot close in sleep;
I am troubled and cannot speak."
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Just played through, I really liked the athmosphere and the music. :)
A bit more information about what I'm seeing would be helpful, I sometimes screw up when I'm told to figure out things myself... (or atleast I have no clue about it).

I noticed that there still seems to be some issue with the vp file (no bug or error), but the files are present in the main folder and a second time in the (correct) data folder, that doubles the size of the vp to over 600mb.

Also, just a funny detail, I've noted that
Spoiler:
civdepot-normal and civdepot-shine make up over 25% of the modpack size.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Just played through, I really liked the athmosphere and the music. :)
A bit more information about what I'm seeing would be helpful, I sometimes screw up when I'm told to figure out things myself... (or atleast I have no clue about it).

I noticed that there still seems to be some issue with the vp file (no bug or error), but the files are present in the main folder and a second time in the (correct) data folder, that doubles the size of the vp to over 600mb.

Also, just a funny detail, I've noted that
Spoiler:
civdepot-normal and civdepot-shine make up over 25% of the modpack size.

So glad that you liked it! If the music was to your taste I highly recommend that you give the Kairo soundtrack a try over at Bandcamp. :)

Thanks for the tip about the vp file! I have no idea how that happened, I need to check that out.

Spoiler:
Whoa. I don't know if I'll do anything about that. I might take the time to switch it out for a simpler Terran installation, but I'll still need something small.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

That was a very interesting vignette!

"My eyes cannot close in sleep;
I am troubled and cannot speak."

Thanks!

Spoiler:
Oh yeah, those were fun to include and they pertain to the story in an indirect way. That's not my writing though, do you know where it came from?  ;)

Spoiler:
Whoa. I don't know if I'll do anything about that. I might take the time to switch it out for a simpler Terran installation, but I'll still need something small.

Spoiler:
No need to change the station, just find somebody who can compress dds a bit. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Finally played version 2.0.  The cutscene at the beginning was well done, but I didn't get much more out of it than my last post.  However, based on updates, there's supposed to be fiction viewer entries?  They didn't show up for me; I got blank screens before every mission.

I will also reiterate my recommendation to set Lost as the default campaign.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Hi all!

As some of you know, I've cut way back on the time I spend on HLP. My only current project is judging the screencap contest. But I haven't forgotten Lost!  :D

It's in bad need of an update. The versions in the release post and the Knossos version are NOT consistent, actually technically speaking the dropbox version is most recent. The most major change I need to make is adding voice acting from Millbear! He's done some great voice lines for the ending, can't wait for you all to hear it!

Plans: I will be working on Lost, just very slowly, as I can find time. I hope to remove the dropbox version entirely and switch over to Knossos. Anyone who needs a separate download could contact me. The mod needs a major re-test, running the whole thing through the debug build many times as it hasn't been testing since 3.7.4, I think. The problems that Goober and others mentioned above are still standing.  :rolleyes:

Beyond that, I used to have a myriad ideas for future modding projects, but I'm now planning to lay new mod creation to rest for good. However, I do have a successor to Lost mostly completed, called "Knowledge". It's an even shorter/smaller project than Lost - if Lost was a "brief story" Knowledge is a "scenario" or a "vignette". Considering using the subtitle "A Nightmare" but I'm torn between that being a shameful ripoff of Chesterton or a legitimate homage.  :lol: That's been in the works for quite some time now, all missions are done and it's only connecting them all that needs to be done.

But yeah, that's where things are now. :)

You could add that the version on Knossos is not identical to the OP.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

You could add that the version on Knossos is not identical to the OP.

I did actually say that.  ;)

But not everybody would skip directly to the end (and I checked the OP this time). :D

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Aha, thanks, beg pardon I misunderstood.  :p OP is updated, check it out!  :lol:

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Just bumping to display the warning from the release post (people might drop by the thread [latest post] now and then):

UPDATE JANUARY, 2019: The dropbox download version from this thread and the version on Knossos are NOT identical! Both versions are badly outdated, although the dropbox version is newer. I am IN THE PROCESS of updating the Knossos version, which will then become the ONLY regularly available version. I recommend NOT DOWNLOADING OR PLAYING LOST until I've finished!

You CAN play Lost now through the Dropbox link below, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would bear with me until I release the proper version, as there are awesome additions and appropriate bugfixes/optimizations in the pipeline that you will miss out on if you play it as it is!

As a matter of fact, please simply regard this entire release post and Lost as a whole to be VERY OUTDATED. Work is progressing SLOWLY, but I am very happy to give updates by pm or forum post, just ask!  :)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Hi all!

Am anticipating time to work on Lost over Spring Break, which is a couple of weeks away.  :) I really do want you all to hear Millbear's VA work, it's great!

Offline neoterran

Did ya ever get any time ? :)
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Did ya ever get any time ? :)

Indeed I did! :) Not enough time to finish it, however, but things are coming together.  :nod:

Offline HLD_Prophecy

LOST 3.0.1 is DONE

YAY!  :)

OP/credits/descriptions in various places have been revamped. Superb voice acting by community member Millbear added! Give him some appreciation and check out his work in this latest version.  :yes: FS1 music now replaces Joshua_Menu. This was a style choice. Various fixes to pacing, bugs, and long-forgotten problems.

Feel free to give it a try!

Lost was originally intended to be a springboard for larger future projects. As time's passed, I've gotten a better feel for my limits and the time that I can afford to spend modding. I hope to finish up and release the mini-sequel (really just a postscript at this point) called Knowledge. It's already mostly done anyway. After that, It'll just be support and tweaking the two. No more new projects, I'm done!  :nod:

Thanks all for incredible support! Feedback on the latest version is very much appreciated. You can now download it on Knossos from the link in the OP. Stay cool,
HLD_Prophecy

Is there a specific reason why you use the low-poly version of the GTF Angel?

A couple normal maps seem to be missing too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:04:42 pm by Nightmare »

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Never knew there was a hi-poly Angel, can you point me to it?  :)

Which maps now?  :confused: