Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378640 times)

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
Well, nothing obvious jumps out at me.  And the jar contains .so files that should work on both 32 and 64-bit flavors of Linux.

Are you able to test the .so files on your computer and see if there's an architecture incompatibility?

I've pulled the relevant .so files out of the jar.

ldd outputs the following for each of them:

32-bit
Code: [Select]
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7782000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb74a4000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb72fb000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0xb72ce000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7783000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb72b0000)

64-bit
Code: [Select]
not a dynamic executable
Examining the .so file that is placed in my /tmp directory by the installer during runtime yields the latter output, indicating that it is the 64-bit library.

Why would the installer be mistaking my system for an 64-bit arch? Is there a way to force it to use the 32-bit .so?

Edit:

Got it working via installing through one of my other boxes (which happens to be 64-bit). Multiplayer missions still failed to download but that's not a huge deal right now.

Had to install the 32-bit packages for Jansson and Lua manually, the program wouldn't start without them.

Off to bed now, I'll report back further at a later time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:22:52 pm by KeepBotting »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Glad to hear you got it working.  I'm not sure what could be causing the wrong .so to load; 7Zip is provided by a third-party module that I don't have too much insight into.  I do know that another Linux user was able to run the installer without any linker errors, though it was on a 64-bit system.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There seems to be an issue with a number of files hosted at fsmods?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91279.0
and
https://dev.tproxy.de/fs2/mirrors/

And the multi-missions-pack download is broken
http://www.freespacemods.net/e107_plugins/download/download.php?action=view&id=5

(I haven't checked the rest of the links reported as being down)

Who manages fsmods again? Is it achtung?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes it is, and I was under the impression that he had disabled hotlinking to fsmods files so it may not work as an Installer host any longer.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe, but Homesick is hosted at fsmods and it seems to be able to be downloaded.

I was more wondering if, due to the (recent?) fsmods upgrade, all the link paths had changed?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes it is, and I was under the impression that he had disabled hotlinking to fsmods files so it may not work as an Installer host any longer.
I think he disabled direct hotlinking, but not the paths that the Installer uses.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've been trying to get in touch with achtung since this problem was first reported.  We may have to find an alternate file host for the missing files.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I noticed this morning that the mirror monitor is reporting all the links are working again. However, I don't have the download quota right now to run a full download test (... I need to do something about that!)
----
----

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I was chatting with him yesterday Goober, he wanted me to pass on that he fixed the issue.  During an upgrade some files weren't moved correctly to a new location.  So everything should likely be all right again.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, glad to hear it. :yes:

How did you get in touch with him?  Was he on IRC?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The mirror monitor is indicating all systems are go, but some reports are still coming in about installer failures.  In addition, while attempting to recreate the issues, I have had some issues of my own with installer's interface.  As I hover around certain elements, the interface gets...glitchy.  No better way to describe it really.  Going to try for a screenshot.  Actually after restarting it I was able to get through to the download screen, and then it happened again, and was cleared up by a resize.  Not sure what's going on with it though.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bleh.  The advantage of having different files in different places is that if one mod doesn't install, other mods may nevertheless succeed.  Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to expect 100% mod success.

Be advised that the installer does support mod mirrors.  If you specify multiple URLs for a mod, the installer will try each of them in turn, reducing the chance of an unsuccessful installation.  (Although the FSO EXEs are one of the few mods that do use the multiurl feature, which means that something else is going on.)

Also, those graphical glitches are bizarre.  Can you upload your logs folder somewhere?  That'll provide insight into the mod download issue too.  (Maybe the hashes are bad, or something.)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I have put a universal post on the FS Reddit where these reports are surfacing for information on which mods are failing to install and the log file to go with them, so hopefully we can give you some more to work with soon.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to expect 100% mod success.
Well, to be fair that's not an unreasonable expectation from an installer, although:

Be advised that the installer does support mod mirrors.
That is probably the issue that needs solving, a number of mods seem to lack backup mirrors.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have put a universal post on the FS Reddit where these reports are surfacing for information on which mods are failing to install and the log file to go with them, so hopefully we can give you some more to work with soon.

Thanks.  I noticed one person already posted screenshots of his installation attempt.  Unfortunately, these don't really help narrow down the issue because they don't contain much information about the installation.  The best way to help solve the issue is to upload a zip of the logs folder.

I just thought of a possible cause due to a mistake people have occasionally made before.  He said that he ran the GOG installer before running the FSO Installer.  Did he point the Installer at the GOG directory?  If not, he would have two separate installations, one in C:\Games\FreeSpace2 and one in C:\Program Files\[...]\FreeSpace 2.  If he then went looking in the GOG directory, he wouldn't see the SCP executables.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Yer, I noticed that.

I cant remember where the installer stores its log files, can you refresh my memory so I can see if I can get that poster to upload one.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The logs folder should be created in the current working directory, which is usually the same directory where the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar resides.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I expect to post a new version of the Installer in the next day or two.  Have one last thing to sort out.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You're updating the installer? If it's not too late, could you implement a few troubleshooting features? If something fails to download it would be great to know why and how.

The installer should ping the hosting server; check for the presence of the file; attempt to download the file; compare the MD3 hash on record with the downloaded file; then log all this information. Then we can know exactly where the error lies and how to fix it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...