Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422830 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Thanks, but this doesn't work either. Now it fails to execute script fix-comtypes-rthook

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.3 (combined launcher/installer)
It does this for me too with the script hook error.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.9.4 (combined launcher/installer)
Alright, this update has been tested by a few people on the Discord channel so it should actually work. Also the TTS settings are FINALLY working.

If you have a broken install and can't launch Knossos, download the updater manually and run it. Afterwards, everything should be fine again.

Is there any way to set custom flags in Knossos?

I'm trying to change the -bloom_intensity value. There is no way to input custom flags in the launcher. If I add it to the cmdline_fso.cfg it gets overwritten when the game launches. If I add it to the settings.json of Knossos it gets overwritten when Knossos launches.

Also would it be possible to have truly global launcher flags? The current global flags effect only one FSO version at a time so every time.

And by all the FSO settins are on "default". Wether this is "on" or "off" is big mystery.

Also is there a way to ignore dependancies? Some mods have 3.8.0 set as dependancy so they will refuse to run on nightlies.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:13:29 am by hirmuolio »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
You can set custom flags for every mod individually if you use the "FSO Settings" option in the Mod Detail -> Options.

The Global Flags are for all mods. Default means, that the predefined setting by the mod is used. On deactivates this option regardless of the mod setting, off deactivates it.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@hirmuolio Did you read the help text on the Global Flags section? IMO, it clearly explains what Default means.

Hm... I could've sworn I implemented the custom flags field for global flags as well. Looks like I forgot that. Will add it later.
Global flags have to be set for each version since each version has its own list of supported flags. You can set global flags for multiple versions though.

Dependencies are only used to select the default build. They don't influence the build selection. You probably need to change your preferred stability in Knossos' settings the see the nightly builds. (They'll only show up after being installed).

Seems like some mods have the FSO dependancey as ""version": ">=3.8.0-2",". These will run the nightlies just fine.

Some have the dependancy as ""version": "3.8.0-2",". These will run on 3.8.0-2 even if 3.8.1 is selected. (well this is from testing three mods: FSPort, BtA and FSPort MVP)
Edit: Seems like they just ignore the preferred engine set in Knossos settigs. If I set them to use nightly on mod specific setting they will use nightly. Or something like that, having mod specific settings and Knossos settings separately and neither talks to the other is confusing.

Majority of the flags that can be set are same for all FSO versions. Things like windowed, v-sync, frame limiter. The setting screen could do with some facelift anyways. A list of flags isn't very user friendly and few of them are useful.
And at least the -bloom_intensity flag didn't cause any issues even if it was used with older version that had no bloom.

The global flag setting could mention that by default everything is off unless the mod enables it or you enable it. Just saying "Default tells Knossos to use the setting the modder chose" won't make the end user realize that most mods will have nothing enabled unless you enable them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:20:14 am by hirmuolio »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Some have the dependancy as ""version": "3.8.0-2",". These will run on 3.8.0-2 even if 3.8.1 is selected. (well this is from testing three mods: FSPort, BtA and FSPort MVP)
Works fine for me. If I select a nightly in the mod's FSO settings, it uses the selected build.

Majority of the flags that can be set are same for all FSO versions. Things like windowed, v-sync, frame limiter. The setting screen could do with some facelift anyways. A list of flags isn't very user friendly and few of them are useful.
Sure, the majority are the same but that doesn't help if even one of the flags might cause issues. Besides, I need an FSO version to fetch the flags. Regarding the facelift: Feel free to suggest a better design. My approach was to let modders set the default flags so that new users wouldn't have to worry about them. Experienced users would recognize the flag list and know how to use them from previous launchers.

The global flag setting could mention that by default everything is off unless the mod enables it or you enable it. Just saying "Default tells Knossos to use the setting the modder chose" won't make the end user realize that most mods will have nothing enabled unless you enable them.
Eh, that's only true as long as most modders don't enable flags. I don't want to put assumptions into the help text which I might have to change depending on what people upload.

Edit: Seems like they just ignore the preferred engine set in Knossos settigs. If I set them to use nightly on mod specific setting they will use nightly. Or something like that, having mod specific settings and Knossos settings separately and neither talks to the other is confusing.
... "neither talks to the other"? What?
Anyway, a mod can define an acceptable FSO version through its dependencies. Usually, the mod author should use something like ">=3.8.0-2" to allow future builds. Knossos respects that setting as long as the user doesn't override it through their mod specific settings. The preferred engine stability applies to all mods and thus has a lower priority than a mod's dependencies (otherwise the mod dependencies would be pointless).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:35:27 am by ngld »

Eh, that's only true as long as most modders don't enable flags. I don't want to put assumptions into the help text which I might have to change depending on what people upload.

This mean that every time some new feature is added to FSO every single mod would need to update their included flags for it to be on. Seems rather backwards to set the baseline from individual mods.
I think better way would be to have some feature presets in the launcher settings like in the older launcher (all features on, low requirement features on, etc.). And then have the mods include only flags that they really need. Maybe even have a toggle in mod specific settings to overwrite global flags with flags provided by the mod if the mod requires something that you would like to not have in other mods (3d weapons on/off comes into mind). Or just a mark saying that defaults from mod are being overwritten by your flags.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That's not exactly true. Most features which are safe for all mods are enabled by default in FSO (i.e. lightshafts, deferred rendering, etc.). As such, FSO itself already provides a baseline and I see no reason to replace that in my launcher.
The presets (all features on, ...) weren't implemented because I didn't want to do bitwise math in JavaScript. IIRC they never worked completely anyway.

Maybe even have a toggle in mod specific settings to overwrite global flags with flags provided by the mod if the mod requires something that you would like to not have in other mods (3d weapons on/off comes into mind).
Well, first of all, a mod doesn't "require" flags. AFAIK all important mod settings were moved to tables. Even the 3d weapons option isn't required. If a weapon doesn't have an icon associated to it, FSO automatically uses the 3d model. Thus the mod works fine even without the flag.
At this point, the flags are supposed to be used to tweak the way FSO looks. In this context, allowing a mod author to set the default (i.e. the way they want players to experience their mod) seemed to be the best way to handle this. I still wanted to give the user the ability to override these flags which is why I added the FSO settings screen and the global flags. Since the mod author's selection is supposed to be the default, the global flags setting is applied to those flags and serves as an override. The mod-specific flags finally allow you override all flags with your own choice.

I don't see a reason to change this. If mod authors are only supposed to include the flags they "need", then no flags will be left since all of them depend on taste.
I agree though that the Knossos could use some more documentation.

Is it Knossos' doings that each campaign uses different settings? All kaybindings and audio settings are unique to a campaigns. Even in same mod each campaign uses different settings. I don't remember this happening before but my old settings were some kind of odd buggy mess before...

Is there any way to copy the settings from one campaign to another. it is really annoying to have to rebind every single key when switching campaign.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is it Knossos' doings that each campaign uses different settings? All kaybindings and audio settings are unique to a campaigns. Even in same mod each campaign uses different settings. I don't remember this happening before but my old settings were some kind of odd buggy mess before...

Is there any way to copy the settings from one campaign to another. it is really annoying to have to rebind every single key when switching campaign.
It is not unique to Knossos; those settings are stored in the .csg file (campaign-specific save game). There's also no really easy way to copy those settings; it's a bit of a usability issue, for sure.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.10.0 (combined launcher/installer)
Knossos 0.10.0 has been released. This release contains mostly bug fixes and implements custom flags globally (you can finally apply your lighting settings to all installed mods).

Issues with HiDPI on both Windows and macOS have been reported. However, I don't know too much about that and can't test. As such I'd be glad if anyone could look into a solution for this (GitHub ticket).

Unless someone discovers a critical bug in this release, I'll release it as 1.0.0. After that, I'll probably start releasing nightlies and only release new versions once they've been tested enough. This will take a bit of work since I'll have to change the integrated updater.

I'll also overhaul how the Neblua login and internal handling of the mod list works after 1.0.0. Most of this won't be visible but it'll make working with the code easier. New features that are planned are (still) the tag system and smaller updates for mods.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Incoming jump signature, 1.0 configuration!  Yay!  :D

Opened log 'data/fs2_open.log', Sun Mar 25 23:54:28 2018 ...
  Initializing SDL...
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.8.1.20180217_0178374
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 9
  -ogl_spec 100
  -spec_static 2
  -spec_point 0.3
  -spec_tube 0.7
  -ambient_factor 80
  -nomotiondebris
  -no_emissive_light
  -soft_particles
  -post_process
  -bloom_intensity 10
  -nolightshafts
  -cache_bitmaps
  -ballistic_gauge
  -dualscanlines
  -orbradar
  -rearm_timer
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -warp_flash
  -mod Inferno/R2,Inferno,MediaVPs_2014
  -fps

What about a privacy option for uploaded logs as well? :D (Not my log btw)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Just downloaded this now and this is AMAZING! Keep up the good work!  :pimp:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.10.1 (combined launcher/installer)
Knossos 0.10.1 has been released. It fixes a few bugs which were reported on Discord and asks the user which packages to install during mod updates if optional or recommended packages have been added.

@Nightmare: Well... uploaded logs are supposed to be public. If someone doesn't want them to be, they shouldn't upload them. Besides, the log doesn't seem to contain any kind of secret information.

@Venicius: Thanks!

Admitted, none of the logs in question contained any secret information, but since your tool is obviously useful for many people and will be used in the future for development/beta testing, I wanted to post it atleast; so there's a limited chance that something slips by that shouldn't been out (like which models are being loaded, stuff like that).

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Hm... I could either add a warning to make it more obvious that the log will be public or disable the log search. Not sure how useful it is, anyway. It was intended as an easy way for coders to search for logs but since I never really mentioned/advertised it, I doubt anyone's using it.

Maybe just disabling uploading logs atleast for private/beta tested mods? Most people doing beta testing should know what they're doing anyway, or atleast get in contact with the devs of the mod then.
The problem I'm seeing is that due to the death flash script being logged, one of the INF logs contains the entire ship list for R1, R2 and probably R3. Not that the list wouldn't be out soon with R1 anyway, and most ships are known by their name (so nothing new), but I thought "better mention that". :)